“Very welcoming”
Review of Woolpack Inn

Woolpack Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Chilham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed over the recent bank holiday weekend as we were attending a wedding in the village. We arrived around 8pm on the Friday evening and were made to feel very welcome immediately. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We are a family of five and as the bar was busy we asked if we could order food to eat in our room. This was no problem and the food was brought over piping hot and delicious. The bar menu was extremely good value for money. Breakfast was nice although I do feel it should be included in the price of the room. We stayed in the family suite which was located at the rear of the hotel in a separate building on the ground floor. This was clean and spacious aswell as comfortable. My only gripe is that the door opens out on to the hotels patio area. This was fine as the patio was quiet but I do wonder if it is busy during the warm summer evenings how much noise there would be which I would foresee causing potential problems when trying to get young children to sleep. I would stay here again however and would recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Delightful village, Excellent hotel, Fabulous Food

I stayed here with my daughter and son-in-law , staff very welcoming and accommodating.
The food served was a very good quality, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We travelled with a dog and where able to eat meals in the Bar which was excellent. Very pet friend...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank I-Gos09
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Only stayed for one night with our dog as well, very dog friendly Inn, he got made a fuss of and even had a bowl, blanket and towel laid out for him in room! Food was excellent and brought out to us in the beer garden as no dogs in restaurant. Surprised no breakfast included in room rate but we are not really breakfast people. Village was lovely, looked just like a film set but real! Well worth the visit - liked the chart in the bar listing every innkeeper since the 1400's!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Ruupu
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my Mrs went away to Chilham in kent on the 25th of April for a weekend the woolpack inn was where we stayed. And it was excellent, the food was fresh, the service was outstanding. The staff where very well trained and highly friendly and helpful and the room we stayed in was clean and magnificent, the village itself was lovely. Me and my partner will definitely be returning very soon in the near future. Top marks all round.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Family and friends used to stay at this hotel but have not returned for a few years but having read the reviews we were looking forward to a weekend stay. Unfortunately we were very disappointed. Our room was in the main house, a pleasant good sized, character room with a nice bathroom but very noisy from the bar below. There was no shower, just a shower tap on the bath and the water pressure was poor although this might be expected from an old property. Our biggest disappointment was the food which overall was poor. The first night my wife and I both had prawn cocktail. This was a glass full of salad with a few tasteless prawns. We did complain and fair play we were not charged for the starters but we would rather have good food and pay for it. For the main course I had mixed grill and my wife steak which were both ok. The following morning for breakfast we both had full English most of which was cold. For the second evening I had for starters French onion soup. This was a bowl full of onions with a couple of spoons of soup - very poor. The waitress took no interest in a bowl of onions being left and returned but just kept on asking if we had any tasteless prawns in our food ! My wife had fish cakes which were nice. For mains I had cod and chips, a very good sixe portion but the fish again was totally tasteless. My wife had pie which was ok. The next morning we both asked for scrambled egg on toast. This was one small piece of toast with scrambled egg on for which they charge the same as for a full English - unacceptable.
Perhaps we should have complained more but we don't like complaining and having done so once we were reminded by the waitress at each meal !
Will we return - no. Will we recommend - no.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brian S
Reviewed 16 February 2014

...old inn with a lovely inglenook fireplace in the bar, lots of choice for drinks and very friendly staff. Despite a lot of older reviews on here, we found the landlady to be very pleasant and we had no issues with any of the service that we received.
We stayed in room 4 which was very spacious, albeit quite noisy but I wouldn't expect such an old building to be soundproofed to today's building regulations - although I think that the majority of the noise was from the pipes/radiators.
The evening meal was lovely, with lots of choice from both the normal menu and the specials, all served in a tasteful and traditionally decorated dining room.
The village itself is beautiful and we plan to visit again soon.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank McGillic
Reviewed 15 February 2014

After a long drive, the welcome from the lass behind the bar couldn't have been friendlier. We were physically shown into our room which was nice and although 'cosy' in the space sense of the word, you couldn't fault it for cleanliness, coffee facilities and the fluffiest big towels! You do hear others in nearby rooms but an extra pint at the bar will solve that.

Although an extra £8 for the well worth it, gut busting full english in the morning, I like that its optional and not included in the very affordable room rate. Just in case you want a lie in!

If I'm honest, we were a little disappointed with the evening dinner. Quantities were huge but the quality, not really on the button. Our lamb shank didn't fall off the bone and might be described as a little 'tough'.

My VAST fish and chips was moist but, even though one shouldn't really complain, was just too VAST and almost difficult to eat because of it. The batter became Rubbry rather than Luvvly.

Overall though, at the price, you can't beat the place. We eat and dine out ALL the time so are maybe getting a little too picky for our own good. Thanks Woolpack!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilham
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments
The Falstaff in Canterbury
The Falstaff in Canterbury
#11 of 16 in Canterbury

Been to Woolpack Inn? Share your experiences!