“Awful food!!!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Chilham
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: 14th Century Inn set in the heart of historical and picturesque village of Chilham. The White Horse has been used in several film productions and television programmes. The White Horse is set in the main village square opposite Chilham castle. We provide traditional fare, real ales and we also cater for events.
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I visited this pub with my mum and my partner, whilst on our way back from Canterbury, for a first time visit. The pub from the outside looked very welcoming, so we decided to have lunch there. In hindsight, we wished we had eaten in the tea room in the village square, as we had never tasted anything so synthetic and sickly sweet in all the time we have eaten out. My mum and I had a Moroccan lamb tagine and my partner had a chilli con carne. The tagines were tepid and the chilli was cold in the middle. We had already waited quite a while for these "freshly cooked meals" to come out to us, but when we told the waitress they were not hot at all, she took them away and we still waited at least another 10 minutes for our meals to return, in which the chef bought them back out to us and apologised but said " thank goodness for microwaves" which really put me off eating this. The portion sizes of these meals were very poor for the price charged (£8.95 each) and the quality of this was like a cheap ready meal. One of the meals was deducted from the bill, but felt that what was charged was way overpriced. We were still hungry, when we left the pub, so decided to go somewhere else for a snack. Needless to say, we will not be returning.

4  Thank EmmaBee74
JHowardCofield, Manager at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

We at the White Horse have taken your comments very seriously. As this is the same review as before, please refer to that response. We would be delighted to see you all again!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Went with my daughter and her partner for lunch at this pub......My daughter and I chose the special of a Moroccan Lamb Tagine and her partner chose chilli con carne......it says that all food is cooked fresh so we were prepared for a little wait. The drinks came out and we sat and sat and it seemed like an age before the food came out. For the price of £8.95 each the portion size was small and when we started eating we found that the tagines were only tepid and the Chilli was chilly.....cold in the middle. We told the waitress and they were taken back and again we waited and eventually they came back with the remark 'Thank god for microwaves'. If these meals were freshly made they should have been piping hot to begin with. The tagines were very greasy and most of the lamb were just fat and the whole dish tasted very, very sweet, almost sickly. In fact I left some of mine and my daughter left most of hers. Her partner ate his but only because he was really hungry. We all left still feeling hungry so it shows what the portion size was like. On the plus side one of the meals was deducted from the bill but, to be honest, I felt cheated out of the £26 I had to pay......the meal was nowhere near worth that.....we have been to pubs that charged much less and had fabulous meals. When we left the pub we actually went somewhere else to have a snack because we all still felt hungry. The food appeared to be almost ready-meal consistency and tasted like it. We definitely would not go back here for a meal and seems a shame that a beautiful village that gets a lot of tourism will get a black mark against it if people get the same sort of meal that we were served....
I don't often give negative feedback on places we have visited but this was just beyond bad.....

3  Thank Barbra R

Having been onsite at the time of your visit, it seems regrettable that you find it necessary to leave these comments. We did make every effort to resolve the issue, despite equipment failure which was out of our hands at that time, but has now been addressed. I would have it noted that everything is made on the premises, from fresh ingredients, but slow cooked dishes such as the three you ordered are prepared in advance, and re-heated for service (which is standard practice at this level of catering). I feel disappointed that you did not see fit to bring this to our attention at the time of your visit, knowing that we were already attending to the correction (which seemed to have worked as all three plates returned to the kitchen empty), and consider it a little unfair that you post incorrect reportage as regards the responses you received. For the quality of produce that we present, we believe that there is genuine value for money to be had, as our previous reviews will confirm. We at the White Horse accept that tastes and expectations vary, and would be glad to receive you again, and any genuine concerns that you have will be addressed at the time.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We have been to the white horse several times for food and drinks. It is a great spot and we liked it so much we incorporated it into our wedding weekend at Chilham in May 2014 - food and drinks for guests the night before; pre and post ceremony drinks. The atmosphere was fantastic, the manager Ryder and other staff are very friendly, flexible and willing to help. I recommend you give it a try!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Had an excellent snack lunch of freshly made soup and very thick, very fresh, sandwiches in this proper old pub. Service was friendly and efficient. The new landlord took over in November and has significantly improved the food. The pub has everything it should have including a very large, very sleepy dog.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We found the White Horse through TripAdvisor and decided to give it a try. It was a very friendly Pub/Restaurant and we really enjoyed our evening. The restaurant menu was quite short however everything we tried was very good. I tried the vegetarian option (roasted pepper and butternut squash risotto) which I could not fault. The Restaurant menu is also supplemented by a bar menu which carries all of the usual pub favorites. The menu is seasonal and as much of the food as possible is sourced locally. The staff were very friendly and contributed to the enjoyment of the evening. We will certainly be returning.

1  Thank Wade N
JHowardCofield, Manager at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank-you for your kind words, and positive feedback. Indeed, the Evening menu is trim at present, but as we grow it shall follow! It was a pleasure to have your company that evening, here's to many more....