“Nice little stop for tea (and cake)”
Review of Shelly's Tea Rooms

Shelly's Tea Rooms
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Chilham
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My partner and I stopped here as the last stop before arriving in Canterbury on our own pilgrimage. It used to be the Copper Kettle and there is still the actual kettle that used to hang outside on a shelf for everyone to see. Little links to the past are, in my book, really what places like this thrive on.
Good service and nice home made cakes on display. Cream tea was exactly what I was after and although part of a chain of tea rooms in Kent, was really good. The upstairs room had great views.
In my opinion this detour was really worthwhile and I suspect one that only those that know that Chilam is there would go. You should too.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I visited here today with my son. We had visited in the Summer and he had enjoyed himself so he asked to go back. What a let down! We sat upstairs and I can only describe the room as filthy. Each and every table had dried on stains and were covered in crumbs. The chairs were scattered about and the floor has a very tired carpet which was not improved by the pile of spilt sugar. We visited early in the morning, and none of the mess looked fresh so I can only assume it was left over from yesterday. There was also a very prominent stale smell. The food was average-my scone was very over heated (microwaved?), but not the worst I've had.

3  Thank CarrieBT
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This was the Copper Kettle when I was a child, and we went there for an occasional afternoon tea treat. I took my partner there on the way to a nostalgic return to Canterbury, and was disappointed to see it had changed hands. I needn't have worried - Chilham hadn't changed at all, and neither had the tea shop. Still delicious homemade food, good, polite, service, (and it's so refreshing to be served by a local rather than passing-through disinterested Eastern Europeans). The cakes were yummy, and beautifully served in this proper village tearoom. Would definitely recommend, especially to anyone looking for the quintessential English tea.

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

My friend and I visited here and we were not disappointed. We each ordered a cream tea. We each received 2 large scones and the trimmings. We couldn't eat it all but it was lovely. There was plenty of tea, enough for 3 cups each.

Service was a little slow considering it wasn't busy. However, it was not a problem.

We will return for a treat in the future.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

The most amazing cream teas ever! Had a really lovely milkshake too - not as great at weekends when the drunks are falling out of the local pub but otherwise would strongly recommend it.