The Grove Pantry Pub & Inn
Premier Inn Herne Bay Hotel(Herne Bay)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
US$67
US$85
PremierInn.com
Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$108
Premier Inn Canterbury City Centre Hotel(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$89
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Canterbury Chaucer Central(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
Orbitz.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$106
Priceline
Cathedral Gate Hotel(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$110
ABode Canterbury(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$147
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgrove ferry innquirky pubbalcony overlookingalongside the rivergreat weekendboard gamesbed and breakfastbeef wellingtonpigsweddingcanterburycharactercowslip
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We had a great three nights at the Grove Ferry Inn at the beginning of August

Firstly it's important to say that the Grove Is a B&B over a pub. That's not intended as a negative comment just a point to remember if you happen to read some of the comments on here from people who appear to have been under the assumption that they had booked into Claridges.

The room we had (Room 5) was a decent size (my wife and I were with our 11 year old daughter) and the beds were really comfortable. The complimentary tea and coffee machine, which made great drinks, was an added bonus.

The staff were friendly and the service was excellent.. They make everything to order so don't expect ridiculously fast service. The food we had was delicious - we had an excellent breakfast each morning and ate at the Inn on two nights. We'd recommend the bacon and poached eggs and the salmon and scrambled egg for breakfast. My daughter loved the burgers at dinner.

The grounds are great to sit out in and the animals (pigs, goats and chickens) add to the experience.

I said at the start of this review that the Grove is what it is, a B&B, but the management and staff try so hard to make it more than that and they are succeeding.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The strangest place we have ever visited in the UK.

Rustic charm ?. Yes. Scruffy ?. Yes.

Booked one night on Laterooms for £60 and enjoyed the experience but one night was probably enough.

We enjoyed :- The price paid, the location, clean comfortable bed, good shower, hot water, coffee facilities, verandah overlooking the river, friendly staff, most of the food which we tried from the somewhat basic menu.

We did not enjoy :- Food served on wooden platters and boxes, bedroom door which did not lock, state of the carpets in public areas, breakfast and the cramped breakfast area, the general state of dilapidation of the building and furnishings.
Would we go back ?. Overall it was an enjoyable experience so we possibly would. Would we recommend ?. Only to some specific friends whose likes and dislikes we understand well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RedRoseMan
Reviewed 28 July 2013

As you pull up to The Grove any concern about whether you'd made the right decision to book there instantly vanishes. We were greeting by a nice lady who explained what time breakfast was and that we could have it earlier if we wished. She even offered to carry our bags! (We declined but a lovely gesture nonetheless). We were in room number one named Elderflower. The room was lovely and spacious with a big modern flatscreen TV and a large double bed. The décor was wonderful and it really felt comfy. The shower room was functional with two sinks. The coffee maker unit whilst being slightly unusual, was a nice quirk as well as producing some decent drinks. Our room had a balcony overlooking the garden and outside restaurant tables - the option to bring your drinks up from the bar to have on your balcony was also a nice touch.

What you notice once you start reading through the information guide in the room is that this is a place infused with the owner's passion and warmth. This permeates through to every aspect of the hotel. Where else would you find the ability to brush pigs or feed the chickens who were also staying at the bottom of the hotel garden? :)

The food was of good quality (we both had burgers with chips) although I'd have suggested the burger patty be slightly thinner than the fat and squat type of burger than you often get these days... This and a minor bathroom issue aside, eating here was a real treat with a full breakfast served promptly after we sat down the following morning.The breakfast area seemed quite small and I'm not a huge fan of outdoor metal tables and chairs being used inside (albeit with cushion provided). I think the meal would have been even more enjoyable if it'd be a nice square, smart wooden table and matching chairs. Saying that we really enjoyed our breakfast and the service provided was excellent.

Finally, a few last things to be aware of. The hotel in summer is divine and whilst none of the rooms have airconditioning we found having the balcony doors open allowed a suitable amount of cool air. Be aware though that the hotel is close to a local train line and short carriaged trains pass by every 30 mins or so until about 11pm. They drop off after that but start pretty early in the morning. Nothing that'd be off too much concern but if you're a very light sleeper that could be an issue.

Lastly, the location of the hotel is excellent with the park and ride for Canterbury being only a short drive away and Margate being really close-by if travelling by car as well.

All in all we had a wonderful time here and wouldn't hesitate to go back!

D & S

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavidSCohen
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This place truely is lovely, as we arrived we found we had walked into the end of what looked like a very busy lunch, but the vibe was brilliant so many happy chatting customers, with only two members of staff they were coping fantastically!
After a mini incident with the 'new wifi' we were checked in by a young lady Tara who had luckily earlier in the day taken time to write down new arrivals, she politely asked if we needed a hand with any of our luggage which was very sweet to then take us around to the pantry area where she told us breakfast was between 9-11 although if we did require an early one to let the staff know to inform the chef, although we didn't need one, this is a very good idea, setting eyes on our room was amazing with the view from the balcony over the river we simply didn't want to leave! we went on to throughly enjoy our evening with my husband even trying the spiced pigeon something he wouldn't normally do but said was delicious like wise with my meal the chef certainly knows his stuff, nice to sit & observe the staff were very friendly and all got on very well helping eachother along the way, bed was very comfy and the breakfast that following was simply wonderful served again by Tara who we then asked questions about the local area and suggestions on where to visit she was more than happy to help and advise us, cannot find a fault on our stay and will be back as soon as work allows us! Would just like to say thank you to all the team you are doing an amazing job, keep it up :)

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My family stayed at this b&b the night of my brothers wedding 25th May, and I must say I was really impressed, I read some of the negative feedback left on this site before I wrote this, and to be honest I find it amazing that anyone can fault this place, I also run a B&B in Le Mans, France, so I know what i'm looking for, and to be honest it surpassed all my expectations, I even learnt a few things along the way. The rooms were excellent, the staff excellent, location excellent. If I ever hear of anyone looking for a wedding reception or just a brief stay I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this B&B. Top-Draw!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family