“lucy & Megan at the Grove ferry pub”

The Grove Pantry Pub & Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Upstreet B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Fantastic pub!

Firstly for the unbelievable warm welcome one recivces. My daughter and I were warmly welcomed by Lucy tge manager on our first visit, and Lucy even cooked my daughters eggs her self because they came out hard boiled the first 2 times, even though it was a warm Saturday and incredibly busy!

Megan a member of staff gave us 5 star service, !

I dont need to stay tge night unfortunately as only live 4 mikes away but the views location and service is better than posh restaurants and hotels I've eaten and slept in! And ive travelled tge world twice, !

Coming again soon love it x

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I arrived to a very warm welcome, shown to my room which was very nice with a balcony over looking the river. The room was very large and modern.

I was leaving before breakfast was being served, however this didn't bother me as in general I never eat it anyway but when I checked out there was a sausage barm ready for me as they said I couldn't leave without it as it was the best part of the stay ( the sausage were gorgeous ).

I stayed on business, but it is also perfect for holiday. Would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We just had the best possible time! My wife and I had been taken for dinner by the rest of the family as part of the celebrations for our 70th birthdays, so nine of us (including 8 & 6 year old fiesty grandsons) sat down at a table that had been arranged for us in a raised corner. It is difficult to imagine how Lucy (the Boss) and Katie (the sous Boss) could have taken better care of us - and the friendliness and cheerfulness were all one could wish for. The food was agreed to be excellent (with, perhaps, the possible exception of the waffles . . .) and well served. A light fitting had just failed so, as it began to get darker, we were quickly provided with splendid candelabra and continued our meal by cheery candlelight. We were lucky enough to stay the night and found our room to be spacious and simply furnished - but as this is a 'pub with rooms' rather than a hotel, we found that we had all we needed for a good rest. We understand from Lucy that serious refurbishment is about to take place and will look forward to returning to check it out. Free hugs are on offer, and it would have been churlish not to take up the offer - so I can confirm that Lucy is a great hugger!! Peter C.

Room Tip: If the weather is likely to be warm - ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the river and take y...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We live locally and have passed the pub many times but never ventured in. We tried on Good Friday, not having reserved a table, and the very helpful supervisor found us room inside. It was one of those Spring days when it was warmer outside in the sun than inside, it was cold inside and could have done with the log fire ticking over.
I asked if the food was home cooked which it was, although I suspect that the (cold) waffles weren't, but everything else was very good. Most of us had the excellent fish and chips that were some of the freshest and largest portions we'd had. The drinks were very reasonable although there was a limited choice of beers.
Biggest complaint, referred to in a recent review, the constant banging of the door in the restaurant. Why, when they obviously know how to serve a decent meal and drink, do the owners allow this constant banging to go on. After about an hour it does get very irritating. For the sake of some simple rubber stops or a spring, this place would be perfect for a meal in a lovely riverside location.
Overall, a good place for a pub meal, but don't expect pub prices, £6 for a waffle is pushing it a bit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Grove ... The good stuff .. Food / staff / location
The not so good stuff .. No heating in room / plumbing and electrical issues / chips were cold ..
In summary , needs a bit more attention to the tired rooms .. Change the shower curtain !!!! .. But staff great ( could do with a few more tho) ..
This place could to with a accommodation manager ... Food and Beer is great , and outside by the river is lovely ..
Could be a real diamond with a little more TLC ...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sjbare
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have just come back from a really lovely stay at this gorgeous, and quirky pub. I took my other half for his birthday, and everything was perfect! We were shown to our room, which was beautiful, and to top it off we had a lovely balcony, with a picturesque view. The room had lovely touches making it feel very homely, and there was a coffee machine in the room too which was a real luxury!
All the staff are so friendly, particularly Katie, who really made you feel like nothing was too much trouble, she even let me feed the 5 new baby pigs their breakfast in the morning.
I would thoroughly recommend staying here! It was a perfect romantic weekend away!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here for one night March ,2014 .

There were too many issues here for me to recommend this place .
The positives were that it's in a good location & the room we had was decent .

However the negatives pile up ;
The whole place felt a bit neglected .Outside in the car park there was litter & tin cans lying around .This would take someone 10 minutes to clear up. Inside ,it didn't feel very clean .

The place is understaffed & while they do their best & are friendly there isn't much communication amongst them .We said we were coming back late at night & were asked to use the fire escape around the back but when we returned it was shut & fortunately some staff were still there & let us in but if we'd been an hour later potentially we could have been locked out for the night !
In the room ,the radiator control knob had broken off ,the bathroom mirror light didn't work & the shower curtain was dirty at the bottom &.also the shower pressure was tempermental.As well ,there was a door below us leading into the restaurant that was frequently banging that could be easily remedied .
They also advertise free internet but we couldn't pick it up at all .

Breakfast was really poor .They didn't seem to be expecting us (poor communication again) & i asked for eggs royale only to be told that they didn't have any eggs !! or muffins .The full english we asked for was very unappetising & we both left half of it.
When we left there were about 8 people waiting to be served at the bar.
At £79 a night they're going to need to do much better .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KJBBucks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Upstreet
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Travelodge Canterbury Chaucer Central
The Black Pig
The Black Pig
#1 of 1 in Staple

Been to The Grove Pantry Pub & Inn? Share your experiences!