“Lovely location - Tasty Meals”

The Ancient Mariner Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Taverham, United Kingdom
“Lovely location - Tasty Meals”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We ended up eating here after walking past the hotel. It was very busy but we didn't end up waiting too long for our meal. We got to enjoy our meal sitting outside looking at the great sea view. Good variety of food on offer. My Pork Belly was delicious and very flavoursome, but they forgot to serve my meal with the New Potatoes as stated on the menu but after mentioning this to the waitress they soon corrected this and all was well. Average prices. Would eat here again.

• Visited July 2014
Tracy S, General Manager at The Ancient Mariner Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a report on The Ancient Mariner after your recent visit.

All of our guests comments are very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your visit and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a better service experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon?

Thank you once again.

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“I am amazed at the negative reviews for this restaurant!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I am amazed at the negative reviews for this restaurant, especially with the comments of going back a second time after complaining about the food served on that occasion (why go back if you felt the need to complain?) and people complaining about unsatisfactory food or service, you need to address the issue at the time and not on a review site! I am glad after reading these reviews we still decided to eat there.

We booked a lunch table on the 14th July for a party of five, the staff were very friendly and efficient. Plenty of choices on the menu and reasonable prices, our orders were taken quickly and the meals were served 15 minutes after ordering.
Four of our party thoroughly enjoyed our meal and, the fifth member of the party ordered a gammon steak, this person can be picky and firstly was taken aback by the size of the large portion and then said they could not eat the gammon as it was far too salty.
When the waitress came around and asked if everything was okay this person said YES, then told us they could not eat the meat. If that was my meal then I would have called the waitress over and said the meat was inedible and ask for something different.

What is the point of complaining when the right people can not hear? Purely because the gammon was inedible then I will rate this restaurant as a 4 and not a 5, but that is my only reason and I am sure if more people tell the waitresses and chef then errors can be corrected and people will leave satisfied.

Before going be sure to print off the 25% discount on food for a party of up to 8 people and also when you pay for the meal you are given a 50% off voucher for next time on food over £25.

1 Thank Universal22

Thank you once again.
Wisbech, United Kingdom
“Avoid like the plague”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Booked a table of. 8. Mouldy bread rolls with starters for a start. I asked for no wedges but chips instead . The waitress brought mains and said the chef wasn't able to do that so got given a mound of each. Chips however looked and tasted as though they had been cooked yesterday . One if our party asked for a grilled tomato instead of mushrooms only to be told all our tomatoes have allready been sliced up. 2 ordered the gammon very chewy and most was left and also they forgot their onion rings. My dad had the pie and asked for gravy only to be told we don't do gravy in the summer ? Really ? Food overpriced. Go on traditional inns website get 50 percent off voucher for food then makes it realistic but drinks are still full price and well inflated. £4.10 bulmers . 2nd bad meal we've had. 1st one we wrote to the management of the hotel never even got a response so will never be using again hence my rreview on here to try and warn others. Lovely setting though

1 Thank Danhill857
Tracy S, General Manager at The Ancient Mariner Inn, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Dan
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your meal with us. We take all comments seriously and of course was most preturbed to read all of your comments. Can I ask you to call me so that we can talk through the issues you experienced. My phone number is 01485 534411. I would very much appreciate this. Thank you
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Shame about the price!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Nice quiet gardens, views of the sea, convenient place to stop whilst walking the Coastal Path, but the most expensive cappuccino in the area!
We won't be revisiting.......

1 Thank HMCSpy
Thank you for your comments. I will take the feedback on board and look into your suggestions moving forwards.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments though, it is important to us.
“Worst meal ever”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a table here in the Sunset room for a meal with our daughter, her husband and 3 small grandchildren on Saturday evening. It was a disaster from beginning to end. We had booked the table on the Thursday before, the waitress there at the time suggested a table in the corner would be best as we had a small baby with us. She actually wrote "do not move" against the booking so we were somewhat surprised when the waitress showed us to a different table. When my husband protested she pulled a face but agreed we could have another table. We then ordered our food but as we were still waiting after half an hour my husband queried it. Then a different waitress came over and asked us to choose again because our orders had been lost. We had to get the menus back and start all over again. Different excuses were given - some problem in the garden, the kitchen staff losing the order, the waitress etc. They offered to "fast track" the children's food so they ate first and we weren't able to eat together. A meal at 5.30 didn't finish until around 9pm. The staff said they would report the problems to the main hotel where we were staying before we checked out but they hadn't bothered. The food was basic pub food, nothing special. Though they reduced the overall bill what should have been a pleasant evening was ruined and we would not recommend it.

Visited July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on trip advisor. I would like to ask you to call me directly to discuss your experience further, my number is 01485 534411. Thank you