“How hard can it be?”

Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Horning
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had allowed an hour for a light lunch break on a Saturday. The tea rooms are set idylically by the river, but there are no views of it. On entering the air is filled with the smell of stale chip fat and the surroundings are of a dated traditional tea room. Not wishing to be rude and leave, we stayed to give it fair chance against our instincts desire to leave. It wasn't clear what the procedure for getting a table was, so we had to ask the waitress who was ignoring us and busying herself with their one occupied table. Sit where you like is the system should you wish to visit. Drinks came quickly with the accompanying background delight of every noise from the kitchen which included the dishwasher, microwave pinging and delivery driver complaining at length about his awful day - charming it was not. Our jacket potato and sandwich took ages and we had to chase it with only 10 mins until we had to leave. The explanation everything is prepared fresh. This would be a plausable reason if the place was busy, but it wasn't and we could see the two waitresses doing irrelevant chours other than preparing our lunch. As a result we had to eat unpleasantly quickly, without a drink as we'd finished them ages ago and it meant the one special request to ensure the cheese on the potato was melted wasn't honoured even though I said raw cheese gives me a headace. Surprisingly this task was given as a reason for the delay. I think it had been shown the grill, but the grated cheese hadn't even given up it's will to keep up it's straight strand like structure. It was a chilly day inside and out, so coats were worn for the duration.

Would I go again? No way.
Would I recommend it to a friend? Not if I wished to keep them as a friend.
Was it hygeinic? On the surface it appeared so, but I could clearly see the kitchen sink which had screwed up dish clothes, a known way of successfully breeding bacteria, there were no gloves, hair nets or hand washes involved. NO
Did we enjoy the experience? No
Conclusion: Avoid

3  Thank Booozo
There are newer reviews for The Staithe & Willow Tea Rooms

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We came across this tearoom and decided to have the Roast dinner.
We were asked if we wanted the medium or large dinner, a choice of two that looked good we thought.
The meals arrived and as we opted for the mediums size the meals were a decent plateful.
However the roast potatoes were presumably reheated in a deep frier. The parsnips didn't fair much better either they were well done and very crisp.
We had enough meat(but my wife's had a line of gristle through it), and there was lots of veg.
The lady that served us didn't really have a lot to say and we struggled to get a few words out of her.
The young girl that was there was more friendly and very polite.
This place has only been open by the present owners for a little over two weeks and they Need to hone up on the customer service if they want to keep it open.
It was a very nice place and offered a good menu, perhaps we were unlucky.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Had breakfast here, lovely location but outdoor tables have not been cleaned this year. Young staff brought cloth upon request but did not think it worthy of his time to wipe the table down. Food not great, a pity, as it looked so picturesque.

2  Thank Kateandgerry
Reviewed 29 September 2013

i took my wife here for her birthday the food and service is very good on hearing it was my wifes birthday the owner gave my wife a glass of wine ,a very nice touch i think.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

First visit to this restaurant, Staff were friendly and courteous. Good atmosphere,It was a chilly evening so the log burner helped made it feel homely and welcoming. Food was very good, as was the service. As we live quite close my wife and I will be visiting a couple of times a month at least. Will certainly recommend to others