“Mediocre”

The Old Ram Coaching Inn
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Mediocre”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My first drink had a fly in it and the waitress didn't even notice it, the second was meant to be black current and soda all I could taste was soda!

Food..... Main meal was just about adequate I wouldn't rave about it and still felt hungry afterwards so choose a dessert, now the dessert was the best bit about it but still didn't make me feel like returning any time soon for food.

The building is lovely and quaint and it is a nice surrounding for a quiet drink.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We had tried to book a table for 2 @ 2pm on a Sunday we were told no booking was needed , when we arrived we were shown to our table and ordered a drink ,10 mins later we were told that one of the drinks was not available despite being recommended , no problem , I thought .....
We were then given the menus and we ordered 2 Sunday roasts dinners , bearing in mind it was Sunday dinner time I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem , Wrong ! 50 mins later and other people being served despite coming in after us , the food arrived .we complained again about the wait and was offered a free drink or desert .
It looked good but unfortunately that is as far as it goes , my partner had parsnips where as I didn't , the roast potatoes were dry and at best slightly warm , Yorkshire puddings were completely dried out and burnt and we were given one very small gravy portion between us both.
The staff did not seem to be very interested and I was told that the place was up for sale hence the reason things were up in the air ! .
This place has so much character but unfortunately seems to have lost its way in recent years .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Tivetshall St. Mary hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Had a sunday lunch here last weekend. This was above and beyond, and I am very picky. The beef was cooked perfectly, the veggies were just as I like them (a bit of bite but not under done) and you even get creamed leeks. Yum.
The service was what really sold it.
The girls serving us were fantastic. All smiles and very genuine.
A lovely place to go with fantastic staff.

• Stayed August 2013
Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

If you are thinking of stopping for a meal at this once superb pub you're going to be very very disappointed.I innocently put in my order and waited about 45 mins only to find out when the other food arrived for the other guests mine was never ordered,the waiter made sure he was nowhere to be found (was fairly useless anyway) and the excuse I was given was that the computer made the error( not who entered the order ) You have been warned ,the staff must be on min wage or very undereducated as the people skills are barely adequate.I really miss the way the pub was but sadly it is not,inflated prices and poor service and no management ,I heard "I'm sorry" 4 times while I was waiting for no food,I believe my review to be 100 percent accurate,I hope more people add their reviews and you will understand what I mean.

Room Tip: Waste of time !!!!
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris L
Norfolk uk
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Hello uks food critic here sharing my experiences of food and service with YOU

My trip to the old ram was allright but I wouldn't say it's perfect . First of all I walked in and got are drinks . The staff was friendly and smile a lot which is nice to see that they are putting effort into it.
The chair I was sitting on was broken and the table had rice on it from before . You would of thought that they would clean the table before you went to sit on it. Now comes the food. There stock was low on food ( so I overheard by the waitress) . The food was nice and worth the money

Room Tip: You're right on a road so I'd pick one going away from the road because its a bit noisy wit...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2013

After trip to garden centre, spotted signage for 2 courses for £9.95.

Hubby requested Fosters Shandy, but was only offered Heineken or Peroni.

So stopped in for dinner, staff pre-occupied....got seated in breakfast room.

After reviewing menu, hubby had to chase people for drinks. Hubby chose Veggie Lasagne, as they didn't have mash for sausages and mash and my meal scampi and chips...we ordered deserts, at same time and confirmed...meals were two courses for £9.95.

Meal took over 50mins to arrive at the table, then we had to flag someone down to collect plates, 30 mins after finishing main entree....waitress finally cleared table then asked if we needed anything else?

We mentioned we had ordered dessert, she fetched menus, to be re-told about apple pie and white chocolate cheesecake ordered with our main!

My pie was warm, okay as scorched on edge but raw pastry in centre of pie....hubby's cheesecake was frozen solid and not edible.

Paying for the order...what a joke...blaming everyone else.... The waitress tried to charge almost £30...then when their error was pointed out she reluctantly re-rang the meals.

Still cost £23 for something that cost £15 or less at Wetherspoons but not as good. My Shandy £4.50.

Not good value, poor service and lacked taste. Nice looking place.

Sadly wouldn't recommend and will go elsewhere in future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clairew71
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Have stayed here 3 times now and although it is a cheap place to stay and always nice and clean I have one complaint.

I had to wait over half an hour for my evening meal although there were only 2 other people seated at the time. The barman apologised and said the order had not gone through from the bar to the kitchen. He knew though that I was waiting for my meal, which when it eventually arrived was vey nice.
Breakfast at 0730 - no lights on in the dining room and service was terrible ,once again a half hour wait for full English and only 2 others in the room. Girl serving looked like she would have preferred a longer lie in. Very little professionalism shown by staff and due to this I will not be staying at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,475 reviews
Breckland Lodge
Breckland Lodge
#1 of 1 in Attleborough

Been to The Old Ram Coaching Inn? Share your experiences!