“Wish we'd been sooner” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Old Ram Coaching Inn
Eye, United Kingdom
“Wish we'd been sooner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

The pub was recommended to us previously but this was our first visit. Very good menu, food was well cooked with good sized portions. Good value for money. Staff we're very attentive and it was explained that further improvements are in the offing. Only slight criticism was that breaded mushrooms were a tiny bit over done - minor gripe. Will certainly return.

• Stayed October 2013
      Cleanliness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Was a bit disappointed with our experience. We stayed here on the 21st of September and it was a treat for my wife for her birthday. We have 2 young kids who we got babysat and have 3 dogs which we put in kennels for the night( which was not cheap). We both work full time and at not very social hours, so do not get quality time together.
The old ram got recommend to us by a couple who stayed there a couple of years back and highly recommend it, so thought we would give it a try.
On arrival all was good, got shown to our room etc, and we then went to the bar for pre meal drinks and all was good.
Went back to room and noticed it was very warm so we opened the windows to cool the room down. Got ready for our evening meal and decided to leave the windows open to help cool the room down for when we came back later.
We went to the restaurant and got sat down to our table and said to the waitress that we were ready to order as we looked at the menu when we went for pre meal drinks. She took the order and we sat at our table waiting for the food.
About 15/20 mins later a different waitress came over to ask if we had our staters

• Stayed September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

My first drink had a fly in it and the waitress didn't even notice it, the second was meant to be black current and soda all I could taste was soda!

Food..... Main meal was just about adequate I wouldn't rave about it and still felt hungry afterwards so choose a dessert, now the dessert was the best bit about it but still didn't make me feel like returning any time soon for food.

The building is lovely and quaint and it is a nice surrounding for a quiet drink.

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We had tried to book a table for 2 @ 2pm on a Sunday we were told no booking was needed , when we arrived we were shown to our table and ordered a drink ,10 mins later we were told that one of the drinks was not available despite being recommended , no problem , I thought .....
We were then given the menus and we ordered 2 Sunday roasts dinners , bearing in mind it was Sunday dinner time I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem , Wrong ! 50 mins later and other people being served despite coming in after us , the food arrived .we complained again about the wait and was offered a free drink or desert .
It looked good but unfortunately that is as far as it goes , my partner had parsnips where as I didn't , the roast potatoes were dry and at best slightly warm , Yorkshire puddings were completely dried out and burnt and we were given one very small gravy portion between us both.
The staff did not seem to be very interested and I was told that the place was up for sale hence the reason things were up in the air ! .
This place has so much character but unfortunately seems to have lost its way in recent years .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Tivetshall St. Mary hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Had a sunday lunch here last weekend. This was above and beyond, and I am very picky. The beef was cooked perfectly, the veggies were just as I like them (a bit of bite but not under done) and you even get creamed leeks. Yum.
The service was what really sold it.
The girls serving us were fantastic. All smiles and very genuine.
A lovely place to go with fantastic staff.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Diss, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

If you are thinking of stopping for a meal at this once superb pub you're going to be very very disappointed.I innocently put in my order and waited about 45 mins only to find out when the other food arrived for the other guests mine was never ordered,the waiter made sure he was nowhere to be found (was fairly useless anyway) and the excuse I was given was that the computer made the error( not who entered the order ) You have been warned ,the staff must be on min wage or very undereducated as the people skills are barely adequate.I really miss the way the pub was but sadly it is not,inflated prices and poor service and no management ,I heard "I'm sorry" 4 times while I was waiting for no food,I believe my review to be 100 percent accurate,I hope more people add their reviews and you will understand what I mean.

Room Tip: Waste of time !!!!
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris L
Norfolk uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Hello uks food critic here sharing my experiences of food and service with YOU

My trip to the old ram was allright but I wouldn't say it's perfect . First of all I walked in and got are drinks . The staff was friendly and smile a lot which is nice to see that they are putting effort into it.
The chair I was sitting on was broken and the table had rice on it from before . You would of thought that they would clean the table before you went to sit on it. Now comes the food. There stock was low on food ( so I overheard by the waitress) . The food was nice and worth the money

Room Tip: You're right on a road so I'd pick one going away from the road because its a bit noisy wit...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
#1 of 1 in Eye
J.D.Young
J.D.Young
#1 of 1 in Harleston

Been to The Old Ram Coaching Inn? Share your experiences!