“Great Boxing Day Lunch”

The Olde Windmill Inn
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We've been coming to the Windmill as a family for around 20 years now and have always been really satisfied with the meals. We have never been on Boxing Day, instead preferring a local carvery. We got tired of the washed out veg, people scrambling to pile their plates like it was their last meal on earth and the poor service. This year we chose the Windmill and it was brilliant value, everything cooked to perfection and smashing service. Thanks to all the staff and carry on gritting your teeth at those who moan. A sterling day out!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I'm often wary of booking pub B and B's as the quality varies so much but have no fear. This one is really good!
We arrived on a cold November evening and were shown immediately to our rooms along a very cold corridor that had me worried about the room but it was well heated prior to our arrival and well appointed in traditional style with modern furniture. Room and en suite are well lit with a large freeview TV.
We soon adjourned to the comfy bar/restaurant. There is a wide selection of real ale as well as the usual range of drinks served by friendly approachable staff who were busy with regulars but we weren't neglected. Dinner in the restaurant was standard pub grub served by friendly staff keen to meet our requirements for minor changes to the dishes.
Other guests had also visited the 'Thursford Spectacular' and although the Olde Windmill is about 40 minutes drive it is worth the effort.When we return to the area next year this will be my first choice for accommodation.

Room Tip: Our ground floor room 7 may be reached without any stairs
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I was part of an 8 man shooting party who stayed at the Inn last week. The rooms are very comfortable and very secure. The bar was busy for a Thursday night but there were plenty of staff on hand. We had dinner in the restaurant which was great, a huge choice and everyone's food was first class. We all had a very good nights sleep and the breakfast was to die for. We shall certainly be returning, will have to bring my wife for a night to show her how good it was as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BatWillow68
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Had a one night stay here and would use again as and when in the area. Excellent room, plenty of space, spotlessly clean and as new 'fluffy' towels. Lovely old pub atmosphere to enjoy also with a superb selection to cater for all tastes. Didn't try the bar menu but breakfast was more than ample to start your day. Staff all very helpful and we were made most welcome.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lickey B
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed for 4 nights, to do site seeing round Norfolk.
Entered bar around 4pm and were immediately seen to and shown to our room. Rooms are in new extension out the back of the pub, the extension is very well built and blends in good with the old pub. We had room 8 on the upper floor, which can be reached from the bar under cover all the way. We were pleasantly surprised with the size and quality of the room, plenty of room for cases and clothes etc, sitting chairs and table, also a desk for working on with ample sockets for charging etc. Inn had free WiFi easily connected to and working all the time we went to get access. The pub is very isolated which suited us, but was busy enough at nights. We decided to eat in and have a few drinks, selection of Real Ales satisfying my needs well. The food was ample and tasty from a huge selection menu (doesn't need to be so extensive), all served to our chosen table without any fuss. We like to be up and out early so we never bother with breakfast so cannot comment. The location is good for visiting all Norfolk, we went to different area every day, getting back to Inn early evening. Norfolk itself and particular the Broads were a little disappointing scenic wise, its far too flat for my liking, and the Broads are like a tunnel of reeds that you cannot see over, maybe thats just me, as I prefer hills, valleys and lakes.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay in Norfolk for an extra night having just completed a 3 night stay at an expensive hotel some miles away.

The welcome, service and overall feeling of 'glad you are here' at the Windmill far exceeded the experience at our previous very expensive hotel.

Our room was clean, large and very warm. The evening meal was excellent - and good veggie options for my wife. The breakfast was also ideal.

This is a good find and we know we will come back here next time we are in the area rather than spend over three times as much money at an unwelcoming 5* hotel about 30 miles away!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I was walking the Peddars Way and the first day was more than I would have liked, so I was very glad to see the Olde Windmill where I had pre-booked. After a pint of their own Windy Miller I found my way to the room in a new block behind and connected to the inn. They offered to show me the room but I was confident of finding my own way.The room far surpassed my expectations. Well appointed, comfortable bed and a bath to luxuriate in.
I also ate in the restaurant. Portions are quite big and the food rates as good pub grub rather than fancy gastro-pub. Service on check-out was good natured.
I rate this inn as a great find and would not hesitate in recommending others to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
#1 of 3 in Watton
The Vines
The Vines
#2 of 2 in Great Cressingham

Been to The Olde Windmill Inn? Share your experiences!