“No Locks - Rubbish Breakfast - Over Priced - WE FELT LIKE INTRUDERS !” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barney House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flaxton
Barney House
Ranked #3 of 3 Flaxton B&B and Inns
SELBY, NORTH YORKSHIRE
“No Locks - Rubbish Breakfast - Over Priced - WE FELT LIKE INTRUDERS !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

I booked this accommodation for myself and my chap and two other couples as we were attending a wedding at Sandburn Hall just down the road.
I had booked the accommodation well in advance and have to say the service was fantastic, the lady I spoke to was most accommodating so I was looking forward to our stay.
I rung a few days before to ask what time we could check in, she said when we wanted, so again I was happy that we were getting friendly service.
My opinion has however changed now.............
Upon our arrival we were checked in by who I presume was the lady’s partner, he was in the back garden with a pack of dogs wearing overalls, I presume he was just doing his "odd jobs". He showed us to our rooms, we were allocated two rooms in the main house (both non en suite £60 per night) and the remaining couple were allocated the garage annex (en suite £70 per night). Initially the accommodation was nice, but it was when I noticed that there were no locks on any of the doors and random bits of stuff in the drawers that I felt like an intruder in someone’s home. We didn’t feel like we were in a guest house but in a pals home where we had been put in the room that someone has to give up for the night.
The couple who were in the annexe also didn’t have a lock, I found this very strange as it wasn’t connected to the main house but at the bottom of the garden. My friend barricaded the door when she got in that even to put her mind at ease.
After check in we headed to Sandburn Hall for the wedding at 1330, we were asked what time we wanted breakfast, we asked for 10am, this was nice to be asked. We went to the wedding and returned at 0100.
We hadn’t met the lady owner at check in, but we most certainly got the "pleasure" upon our return. We weren’t being loud or rowdy just talking amongst ourselves....when we walked past the window we got a loud "SHUSH" which I thought was quite rude considering we weren’t making alot of noise. The lady then came out and told us to be quiet or we wouldn’t be coming in, as I said we weren’t even that loud, after she "told us off like naughty kids" the dogs started barking, and may I point out barking alot louder than we were. She then told us to be quiet as she didn’t want to wake her autistic son, well any kid that gets woken up isn’t happy but the fact I felt she was using the fact her son had autism as an excuse disgusted me. Anyway, we finally got in and went to bed in silence for fear or being scorned again by the lady.
The next morning I got up and saw the lady’s son, he was in the bedroom next to us, another factor that made us feel like we were intruders in someone’s home.
The bathroom was next to our rooms in the house and it was ok, although there was tiles missing off the floor and the loo handle was broken. It needed a good scrub as looked grubby.
We went down for breakfast, and well what can I say - for £60 a night it was the worst breakfast I have ever had. It consisted of bacon, egg, hash brown, sausage - none of us ate the sausage as it looked like it hadn’t been cooked, it was disgusting.
The cost of this accommodation is very very overpriced, for £60/£70 a night I expect a lock on my door and decent breakfast, we didn’t get any of this.
The website for the accommodation looks wonderful and we were looking forward to our stay here, we were all disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SELBYLOU

Solo
Business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flaxton
The Blacksmith's Arms
The Blacksmith's Arms
#1 of 3 in Flaxton
Thompsons Arms B&B
Thompsons Arms B&B
#2 of 2 in Flaxton
Claxton Hall Cottage B&B

Been to Barney House? Share your experiences!