“Hotel of horrors”

Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Padworth
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Myself and my family stayed at this hotel as we were attending a wedding at Bradfield College nearby. On arrival we were given our keys for our rooms on inspection of our double room we walked in to find the room extremely small not enough room to swing a cat in it and very outdated and some parts very dirty and in desperate need of modernisation. Once unpacked and after a 4 hour journey to the hotel we went down to reception to book for us all to eat at the restaurant where we told by staff that we were unable to order food as the chef was tired and was taking a nap but to come back in a couple of hours, this meant 15 of us all having to walk to the nearest pub to find some food. When returning to the hotel at 10pm we were then told they were now ready to take our order what an absolute joke. On the second day I was getting ready for a wedding and I decided to take a cold shower to wake me up however ended up getting scolded by the shower as no cold water came through the cold tap just scolding hot water so beware when taking a shower, on complaining at reception the staff confirmed that there was no cold water and apologised and offered the use if another room but only had twenty minutes as the next guests would be arriving.
Would also recommend you bring plenty of money as when ordering 3 small glasses of Pepsi it cost me £10.80 meaning a glass of coke cost over £3.30.
When complaining about our stay we were promised a manager would contact us to deal with this 4 days later and we are still waiting for a call back all I can say is if you have any sense you would never book to stay at this hotel and they need to change the name from comfort hotel to faulty towers.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank BeckyD1977

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Booked as a two night stop over while attending a family wedding nearby - several other family members also booked after we told them about it. We booked a family room and a single room in plenty of time in January......phoned in June to check all was well....to be told on arrival that the family room had been cancelled, but they would sort something out. This turned out to be a 'z' bed which rendered the double room unusable once it was up. Having decided to eat at the Hotel restaurant that night, I checked they could cope with 18 guests to be told they would have to ring the chef (he wasn't there despite advertising the restaurant was open from 6.30pm) and that there would be a wait of at least an hour from ordering ?????? I was then told about a good pub just down the road (The Winning Hand, in case you need it !!) and given cards for 2x local taxi firms......I guess this has happened before......the local pub was great and even the staff there told us they often get Comfort Hotel guests visiting them because they NEVER do food on Friday nights. Breakfast was self service and reasonable (had it been hot rather than lukewarm it would have been good) but the dining room could not cope when too many guests arrived for breakfast at once. The room was acceptable for the price and the staff were pleasant and trying to make the best of a bad job, to be fair. However, the manageress seemed to have little grasp of customer care or organisation. One of our family members was scolded due to a faulty shower - the staff confirmed this on inspection, there was no cold water feed....just hot!!!! The solution offered was to shower in an unoccupied room. To give you the full picture, we were given a discount off the breakfasts by way of compensation but on reflection I would have stayed elsewhere. There is a brilliant biker cafe down the road (4 min walk) that did a much better breakfast for half the price (Mac's cafe) if only we had found it sooner. A good price given the area, but dont think they would pick up any trade at all otherwise.......front rooms suffer from noise from the A4, rear rooms suffer from noise from the railway line.......if you stay here be prepared to laugh it off.......but better to give it a miss if you dont have a sense of humour......DEFINATELY NOT for a special occasion

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Booked this hotel Sat/Sun 3rd+4th August for a nice relaxing weekend with my wife.on our arrival we noticed they were preparing for a function and when I asked I was told that our room was away from area and it would end at midnight.After going out we returned to hotel after 2300hrs the noise kicked off with doors banging ,people knocking on doors and running down the corridors at 0230 hrs I went to reception and complained a young girl did knock on a few doors but without success at 0330hrs my wife and I packed up and left and on leaving told reception that not only would I not be returning for Sunday I would not be paying for Saturday either..To give the staff some credit they did phone to apologize and tell they would not be charging for my visit. Even when we had packed the car and were driving off there were still 15-20 yobs sat drinking in the car park.

Room Tip: AVOID THESE HOTELS IF THEY HAVE A FUNCTION ON ..it does not matter where you are in this hotel when...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stucalinz56
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Needed a very cheap bed for my wife and I on way back from airport ahead of a family visit on a Saturday night. At £45 for the double room only this was just the job. Reading West is a bit of a Ryanair description as you could easily call it Newbury East. The hotel is easy to find on the A4, well lit and plenty of parking. Cramped corridors and room not huge but fairly clean, all facilities as advertised an quiet. Good for a crash after a party or as we used it.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the bar on the first floor at the end
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisAscea
Reviewed 11 June 2013

we celebrated our joint birthdays here on 8th june and several family members stayed over at the hotel.
The hotel is small, intimate and has a real family feel to it. Check-in was quick, relaxed and simple. We had a large family room which had a huge king bed and 2 singles. It was perfectly clean and had everything you needed. Other family members had double rooms - some were on the small side but again perfectly clean and serviceable. Breakfast was buffet style and really good. Every member of staff we met were extremely helpful and polite. A big thank you to Kim, Louise and Gavin for a fantastic memorable weekend.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank baytree97
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I wasn't expecting much from the look of it. Looks like a truck stop.

However the staff are really good, the food is even better and was looked after throughout my stay.

Unfortunately my room was right next to the train track (the 5:26am was on time past the hotel) but it was clean and I had ear plugs.

If you need any supplies find a supermarket before as there's only one shop (from what I could find) which is the petrol station so prices are inflated like the petrol prices.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 6 - choo choo.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Cassius2k
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Hi there

We went to the Out of Town event two months ago and had a very friendly reception, everyone welcomed us and made sure we were fine, the hotel was very clean and we had a meal at the event which was superb.
The whole experience was fabulous and we are planning to go for my birthday next month again with more friends.

Well done on keeping sch a great hotel going, I would book a room there too with no problem what so ever

Room Tip: All rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue40_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Padworth
Holiday Inn Reading West
Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel
Good Night Inns Berkshire Arms Hotel
Travelodge Reading M4 Westbound
De Vere Wokefield Estate
De Vere Wokefield Estate
#1 of 1 in Stratfield Mortimer
Best Western West Grange Hotel

Been to Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel? Share your experiences!