“The worst hotel i have ever stayed in”

Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Padworth
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I have recently stayed at the Comfort Hotel and the title of my review says this is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. As you can see from my contributions on Trip Advisor i have stayed in a lot of hotels in many different countries and this is the worst. Let me list some of my findings
Arrived at reception at 5.00 pm to find the place deserted, spent a good 5 min shouting to see if there was anyone there. Luckily a phone started ringing and someone appeared at reception
Booked in and told the rate was £79.90 per night
Arrived at my room to find a very small room at the front of the hotel. Room was clean but looked grubby and well used.
Looking at the rest of the hotel i decided to eat out at a nearby pub.
Went to sleep and struggled to get any sleep as the traffic noise from the A4 is quite loud. Bed was rock hard and pillow need changing. Woken up a 6.00am by the guy in next room doing his business on the toilet followed by cleaning his teeth and taking a shower. The rooms are paper thin and this is the first time a guy using the toilet has taken over from my alarm clock. Tried to wash but no hot water coming out the basin tap so used the shower.
Decided to try breakfast, the waitress came with a note book and i thought she was taking my order but only asking for my room number. Breakfast was laid out on the bar right next to the beer pulls, not a lot there. There was some hot food but the sausage was rock hard and the scrammbled egg was white. Decided to give most of it a miss. Tea was made using a flask of hot water
Came to check out and there were more staff on reception now. Paid the £79.90 and noticed it was itemised at £60 for the room and £19.90 for the breakfast.
I could not wait to get out the place and will never stay here again. For that sort of money there are lots of better hotels in the area

Room Tip: Try the Holiday Inn that is almost next door
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank alansalt
There are newer reviews for Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have just stayed in the above Hotel for the past 10 days working nights I the local area. I asked for a quiet daytime room. The hotel did place me in a very quiet room away from the main heart of the hotel. The room was basic but very clean and tidy. There were coffee and tea makings and a modern TV. The only problem was with the plumbing, the shower was about as much use as a chocolate teapot, the pressure was virtually nil. There was a bath but as it was a three-quarters size and I am 6 ft. tall it was not an option. The staff were friendly and efficient. The internet was free in the small reception area but at a cost of £7.50 per 24hr period to have internet access in your room, I think was on the expensive side. In todays climate internet should be included in the room price. The house keeping staff were excellent, made sure that I had clean towels regularly and restocked with tea and coffee's also on a regular basis (they had no access to the room during the day). The price for my stay was I feel expensive as it was room only with no internet and effectively a useless shower.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2013

An older property that probably needs some refurbishment in places. Staff welcoming and friendly. I ate at the in house restaurant and everything was fine. My single room was small but was spotlessly clean and had everything I required. Although the hotel is flanked on one side by the busy A4 road and on the other by a railway line, I managed a good night's rest. The hotel is not far from the M4 and I was able to get to Heathrow quite quickly for an early morning flight (albeit before the start of the rush hour). Good value for a 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed there for a few nights in October 2013.
Surprisingly small rooms, about 8 sqm. A bed, a chair, no room to put the suitcase..
No WLAN in the room, Very thin doors and walls. Pls ask your neighbours to whisper.
Hotel has a basic restaurant with 3-4 menu items and industrial beers only (Heineken group).
Located on a busy through-road, it reminds me of some of the less mundane motels in USA, in 1960's style.
OK for some nights if you're really stranded, but neither very cheap nor very comfortable.

1  Thank Markus U
SKC H, Operations Director SKC Hotels at Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Hello Marcus U,

Thank you for your comments which are always appreciated. Even though some of our rooms are not as big as others there are very few times (that we know of) that they are described as suprisingly small and, as far as I know, having slept in every room several times, I would say that storage space is available.

We offer a varied menu selection and a specials board which is updated regularly. The Comfort Hotel Reading West runs at higher than average occupancy levels in the area and our restaurant is extensively used, therefore the 3 or 4 menu choices you state would simply not work. We do use a national supplier for beverages however I'm not sure we would class international brands as "industrial". We offer a varied choice from the major selling brands in the UK as do many hotels, bars and restaurants.

Regarding price, we always sell our bedrooms at the best possible price for the area and, as said before, we run at higher than average occupancy levels for West Berkshire. I think it would be fair to say that if we were not competative then we would not be so busy.

Wifi is currently free to use in our public areas and we are pleased to advise that this will soon be available free of charge thgoughout the entire hotel.

Once again, we do thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is important to know that we do take time to discuss and review costumer opinion and use it as a way of learing.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

An abominable hotel. When I arrived and during the course of my stay, there was no heating, and I had to use a small portable electric heater. The room decor was grubby, and the central heating pipes in my room were disgusting (and not working). I have the photos! Food was pile it high and sell it cheap. Limited range of wines, and beer/lager cellar not well kept. Front rooms are yards from busy A4 main road, so noisy until late at night and from early morning. Understaffed, at one point i waited 20 mins to get a drink. Stay away.

2  Thank RichardWTC
SKC H, Director - Sales & Operations at Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Hello Richard WTC, First of all, we thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Negative comments are not always easy to accept however we do think that some of the points you raise require attention. We have commissioned a full report from the Hotel Manager and we will be discussing this matter in great detail. We would apologise for the fact that you did not enjoy your stay.

It is a shame that you did not like the food however we do get a number of good comments from guests and we really do want to highlight this. Many people enjoy both the quality and the value we provide.

The hotel is situated on the main A4 but, in all honesty we get very few comments about the noise from the road however, we can see that this was not acceptable to you.

Finally, we have addressed the issue with the heating. There was an problem with this at the time that you stayed with us however this has now been rectified and, once again, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed here for one night when attending a friend's wedding nearby. On the plus side, they did let us and three other couples we were with have a room ahead of check-in time so we could get ready, but that is all i can find that's good to say about it. Rooms are really shabby with dated decor and fixtures, and a bit of a smell about them. We returned from the wedding before the hotel bar's advertised closing time, but were told they couldn't really serve us anything as there was an event on the next day and they didn't want to run out of stock for that. The event was a vintage car rally - which meant we were woken up by some very noisy cars outside our room at about half past eight. We had booked in on a deal which included breakfast - which was really really poor, badly cooked, canned / mass-produced ingredients served with little pride. When checking out, we were told that there was no record of our deal and that we would have to pay £10 each for the breakfasts. There were apparently no senior staff on site with authority to review this (at checkout on a sunday morning, surely the busiest time?), so was told to pay the extra and then contact the hotel on monday to be refunded. Emailed hotel, a month later and I'm still waiting for a reply...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mls1981
SKC H, Operations Director @ SKC Group at Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear mls 1981, Personally I want to thank you for posting your comments. It is very important to acknowledge such, investigate and move on in a positive manner.

At the time of writing, I am still looking into certain points you raise however I do assure you that steps are being taken to address these. Neither myself of the General Manager seem to have received your email but if you would be kind enough to send again and cc to andrew@skcgroup.com I would appreciate this.

Thank you once again. . . .

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here whilst working away from home for a couple of weeks the hotel is basic. However all needs are catered for its clean and tidy. What the hotel may lack in bells and whistles is more than made up for by the staff. Very friendly and always willing to assist in anyway they can. The way the staff treat people is a massive credit to the entire hotel industry.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
SKC H, Director-Sales & Operations at Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Hi Cadfel.

Many thanks for positive feedback. It is great when customers do so. We are a small team at the hotel and our customers are very important to us. Yes it is basic, but comfortable.
We look forward to welcoming you back maybe in the near future and thanks again for writing this review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Padworth
Holiday Inn Reading West
#5 of 17 in Newbury
De Vere Wokefield Estate
De Vere Wokefield Estate
#1 of 1 in Stratfield Mortimer

Been to Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel? Share your experiences!