“An ok stay...”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Padworth
London, United Kingdom
“An ok stay...”
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as was attending a nearby wedding. The hotel is nice enough but it is pretty dated. The receptionist was lovely but the night porter was an absolute disgrace. In the morning I complained about him and I was informed that he was actually leaving. Good! I was given some drinks on my bill for free to say sorry which I was happy with. I wouldn't rush back here but it was a nice enough stay.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank LJS83
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for your review, we do appreciate your feedback.

I am disappointed that you found the hotel only OK and I am very sorry that you found a member of the team to be so unhelpful, as you will see reading through our reviews the professional attitude and friendliness of the team stands out. I am pleased that one of my colleagues acknowledged your feedback at the time and made a gesture on your bill.

All your feedback will be shared with the team.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ware, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel shares the same postcode as the comfort inn next door, which is confusing! When we checked in the girl on recetion added £50 to my card without explaining what it was for which led me to ask about it, would have been iseful if she had explained first. We had a nice dinner in the restaurant, the staff were very helpful and friendly. Rooms lovely and quiet, no noise from the a4. Breakfast was good, although it would be good if in the summer months when the doors are open the pastries etc are covered by guards as there were flies around and one landed on a pastries which put me off a bit.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review, we do appreciate your feedback.

The £50 you mention is not a charge but a pre-authorisation to cover for any incidental charges incurred during your stay, the team should explain this at check-in so I apologise if this wasn't the case.

Thank you for your comments about breakfast, I will certainly take these on board.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed here during a visit to the reading area. The hotel is situated next to the main A4 just south west of Reading. Although there was traffic noise outside, I didn't detect any of this in my room so I presume the insulation must be good. The hotel is very presentable but has a slightly dated feel to it - nothing badly worn or tatty in appearance but could probably do with a 10 year makeover. This said, my room was in good order and very clean and I had a comfortable night's sleep. The reception and bar staff were all very pleasant and appeared to care about making a good impression. My only criticism was a fairly minor one although I did find it irritating and I don't think the hotel handled it very well. Having enjoyed a main course dinner in the restaurant I decided to order strawberries and cream for dessert. When this arrived there was a bowl 3/4 full of whipped cream with what appeared to be no more than 3 or 4 sliced strawberries inserted on top. Far too much cream and hardly any strawberries - not great value at £5.50. When I pointed this out to the waitress she merely commented that 'that's the way they do it here' which I didn't find very satisfactory. For the price of another handful of strawberries my irritation could have been alleviated and the matter resolved.

All in all though, I did enjoy the stay and the hotel was good value at the price I paid.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Philip J, Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review, we do appreciate all the comments we receive.

I'm pleased you had such a good stay and I take on board your feedback about your dessert and in particular the way the situation was dealt with.

Isle of Wight, UK
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Having got this hotel as part of a budget package with a trip to Legoland, we were very pleasantly surprised at how good this hotel was. I emailed ahead to ask for a quiet room, which we got (had an answer almost straight away). We were allocated a room furthest away from Reception so we didn't have any through traffic.We decided to eat in the restaurant: they offer a kids eat free package but my daughter chose the Chow Mein with duck which she enjoyed (a full price meal) whilst I had the Veggie Burger which was also nice. For signing up for emails we also received a 10% discount on the meal. The breakfast in the morning offered good value, there was a spread equal to that in higher starred hotels and especially good considering the hotel is fairly small (by Hotel Inn standards) and didn't seem especially full. All the staff I spoke to were helpful and polite and the room was spotlessly clean. The shower was very powerful and I felt like I had been in a jet wash. If you want a decent hotel at a good price, I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room, furthest away from reception.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your kind review, I'm delighted your stay was so great. I will make the team aware of your feedback, they will very much appreciate you taking the time to write.

England
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

Perfectly acceptable but like going back 15/20 years. It was all just 'alright' but in need of an overhaul/renovation to bring into the 21st century. Friendly staff and decent enough breakfast so did the job.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed you found us 'unremarkable' and I will certainly forward your feedback regarding renovation, etc... to my colleagues at Head Office

I am please however that you found our breakfast offerings to be decent and more importantly the staff to be warm and friendly; being only a 50 bed hotel we certainly focus on trying to deliver a personal and individual touch and would much prefer this to having an all singing all dancing modern product that has no personality and where the staff don't care.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Visiting the hotel for a function in their function room, staying only one night. Checking in the staff were helpful and asked if we needed any assistance, however as the day came to an end they became extremely unhelpful, didnt seem to want to cooperate or give any advice. Poor attitude for staff working in a 4* hotel! Had to walk to reception every single time we wanted to order a drink because the bar was completely unstaffed. Food was very good however.

• Stayed May 2013
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Thank you very much for your review.

Whilst delighted you had a comfortable stay I am very disappointed to read you had issues with the team after the function you were attending ended; this is very unusual, as supported by the very positive feedback about the team in the vast majority of posts we have on Trip Advisor. However, I will of course address your feedback with the team, ensure we learn any lessons and I apologise for any shortcomings you experienced.

wolverhampton
Reviewed 4 June 2013

The room was clean and had all the usual amenities, we had a family room with a sofa bed. The first night was the worst night ever spent at a hotel as the sofa bed was ridiculously uncomfortable and the four of us, two adults and two children slept on the double bed, so I hardly slept. However, I was accommodated another room after complaining the next morning so our second nights stay was fine. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Internet use pricey though we paid £12.50 for the day.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, your feedback is much appreciated.

I am sorry you found the sofa bed so uncomfortable. I note that you booked through a 3rd party site - we do clearly advise them that our family rooms are equipped with a sofa bed as the second bed, I am sorry if this was not made clear to you when you booked with them.

I am however delighted that the team at the hotel went out of the way to make a 2nd bedroom available to you, free of charge, on the 2nd night of your stay after you brought the matter to our attention.

Thank you for your kind words about the staff, as the vast majority of the postings on Trip Advisor would support, it is the team that make the real difference at this hotel.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Padworth
Best Western West Grange Hotel
Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
De Vere Wokefield Estate
De Vere Wokefield Estate
#1 of 1 in Stratfield Mortimer
Travelodge Reading M4 Westbound
Good Night Inns Berkshire Arms Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Reading West? Share your experiences!