“How to get banned!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Padworth
Swindon, United Kingdom
“How to get banned!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel was rebadged from another hotel chain and has had little cosmetic work carried out on the years since. The lack of accommodation in the surrounding area means that a typical stay is in excess of £100/night. As a Club card holder, I regularly receive in invitation to do a customer feedback. After a recent stay, I noted that there was limescale build up on the shower head and that mold was growing around the grab rail in the bath. I also commented that there were insufficient power sockets near the bed to allow for phone charging/laptop use whilst lounging on the bed.

This occasion, whilst preparing to iron a shirt, I noted that the cable going into the connection box had been strained leaving the inner cores taking the strain instead of the outer cover. It was also noticeable that the latest PAT certificate had not been placed on the connector box, it was on the iron itself, looking up, it was also obvious that the desk and bedside lamps were out of date for their Portable Electrical Test. Heading out to the local hostelry for a meal and drink, I noted these shortcomings to the receptionist.

The following morning, whilst checking out, I was verbally accosted by the duty manageress. It appears that my previous feedback, which she informed me are called 'Heartbeats', she considered that I had 'exacting standards' and that it would be better if in future I chose one of the other hotels in the area. I took back the key card and escorted the manageress to the room and showed her the failing points which she agreed were substandard, I also showed her the dust collection on the various flat surfaces in the bathroom; apparently room services would normally do dust! Heading back to the reception, no comment was needed as pointed out the cracked window pane in the passageway window; once more on arrival I was informed that due to my 'exacting standards' I should not book into the Holiday Inn again! So, it seems that a clean and electrically safe room are to high a target for this particular hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TheWhiteHat
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

The team at Holiday Inn Reading West are very passionate about guest feedback and work hard to try and ensure all guests leave having had a great experience. We do value feedback from our guests, especially if given in an honest, polite and pro-active manner. I do apologise if on this occasion you felt their desire to better understand your earlier comments and feedback and to seek clarification came over as being defensive, this was certainly not the intention.

I would like to put the record straight and clarify that, despite the misleading heading you have given your review, you are not 'banned' and indeed we have never banned anyone form our hotel! The team were concerned that, despite several stays over the last few months, you were not happy with the hotel and our product and in fact they offered you a full refund, something you chose to refused.

I can confirm that not only is our portable appliance testing all up to date but so is our electrical mains testing. Our records and electrical registers were all checked and verified during an independent, unannounced H&S and Food Safety audit carried out at the hotel only last week; this is an audit we have twice a year and is in addition to our Mystery Brand Audits - we could not operate without this in place. These audits also check our water hygiene records and legionella testing which again are all up to date and compliant.

We appreciate that guests have a choice when it comes to booking hotels. Your feedback suggests their is limited choice however there are a number of properties within close proximity to us and you go on to list two of them in your review. Whilst we would much prefer you choose to use Holiday Inn Reading West that our competition but don't ever want to think anyone has stayed with us under sufferance.

I hope readers of the reviews on Trip Advisor (and indeed other sights) will look carefully over the reviews posted over recent months and will be able to make a balance judgement on the service, caring attitude, safety and value of the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Leeds, Yorks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

This hotel is in a good location for Reading and is a bit quieter, than others in the area, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the room was a nice size, and very clean , usual big TV and tea making facilities, the only thing would be it needs an update, it is a bit tired in the bathroom and bedroom, the fitness room is a bit small with only a few pieces of equipment, however I would stay here again and would recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Holiday Inn Reading West.

I am pleased you had a comfortable stay and the team will appreciate your comments about them being friendly and helpful.

Thank you for your feedback with regards the bedroom and bathroom. I'm sure you'll be pleased to learn that, as part of an on-going refurbishment plan acorss the Kew Green Hotels estate, we are scheduled for a bedroom refurb hopefully around spring time. In the meantime the team on site continue to ensure the rooms are kept clean and tidy.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Ww stayed there during the Reading festival but the hotel is a bit far from the arena but worth the while to stay in a bed rather than a tent. We enjoyed our stay there and the hotel staff was very nice and very helpful as well. We needed help to get to Gatwick airport after our stay and got help from the staff to get us there in the most cheepest way possible.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, we really do value your feedback and comments and the team will appreciate your kind words.

Crayford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights while attending Reading festival as we are now a bit too old for camping. The hotel was in a great location for this. Prior to arriving I had requested a quiet room and we were given one overlooking the courtyard which was great. The room was very comfy and clean. Check in and check out speedy and efficient with very helpful staff. We pre booked breakfast at check in as it was cheaper and we were not disappointed. The quality of the food was excellent as was the service in the restaurant.
Overall, I think this is a lovely little hotel and we will return next year!

• Stayed August 2013
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you very much for your review and kind words, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back next year.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a great deal including two days at Legoland and a night at the hotel for myself, hubbie and two grandsons. Hotel is about 30 minutes drive from Legoland but was ideal for us.

We had asked for a quiet room and were given one overlooking the large garden at the back if the hotel. Room was adequate size. Bed settee was out and made up for the boys to share. Everything clean and comfortable including the bathroom. Plenty of big bath towels and good pressure in shower.

Check in was speedy and the lady on reception was friendly and welcoming - a big smile as we walked through the door. She was great with the kids and chatted to them while I filled in the form.

We didn't use the restaurant in the evening as we'd had a long day at the park so it was picnic in the room courtesy of Sainsbury which is on the route from Legoland to the hotel.

We did book breakfast as we checked in as it was cheaper to pre book and the kids ate free, so just under £20 for all of us. Plenty of choice - one criticism is the toasters. It seems to get anything reasonably brown it has to go through twice and one side of the four slot toaster I used didn't work at all. Other than that it was fine.

Would definitely use this hotel again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you very much for you feedback, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn Reading West and I hope your grandsons enjoyed Legoland.

Thank you for your comments regarding the toaster, we will of course check this over.

Poole
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We arrived and immediately asked for a taxi as we needed to go out. We were asked if we wanted breakfast at £8.50 and we said we did not know yet and would probably decide in the morning.

The room was good, although the settee was stained with who-knows-what and we only used it to store bags on as it looked so bad. The rest of the room was clean.

Our taxi arrived early and took us the 1.6 miles of our journey and then demanded £15. Needless to say I did not pay that much, but it wasn't a great start and I wonder how many people would just pay without arguing. The driver's reasoning was that the hotel use a taxi company from Reading so he had already driven 9 miles to get to the hotel.

All was fine until around 6am when the fire alarm went off in the hotel. This rang for about 5 minutes, at which point we were getting dressed to evacuate the hotel, but as it had stopped we went back to bed. At 9am we went to breakfast, at which point we were told that because we had not pre-booked the price was now £13+ per person. Breakfast was ok, but like in any hotel an exercise in ripping-off the customer, particularly the thimble-sized glasses for juice.

On check-out I mentioned to the receptionist that the taxi firm they had booked for me was a con and they probably should not use them again. Her response staggered me, "Taxis have nothing to do with the hotel", Irritated I then asked why she had not told me on check-in (for it was the same person) that there was a 50% surcharge for breakfast if we did not book it when she mentioned it at check-in. Again, a staggering response, "I did tell you, you must have forgotten". At no point was there any hint of an apology for either of those issues, a discount offered for the breakfasts, or any explanation for the fire alarm.

And that's why we wont return.

On the plus side as we booked well in advance the room was very good value.

Room Tip: Book breakfast on check-in if you want it.. there's little else in the area.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, we really do appreciate your feedback.

I am very sorry that on this occasion you felt the service you received was not up to scratch, this is very unusual, as the vast majority of guest postings on this and other sites would testify, and I will discuss this with the team.

I do apologise for any misunderstandings regarding the taxi charges and our breakfast offer. You are quite right when you point out that due to our location (approx. half way between Reading and Newbury) that often we have to call taxis based in the town, especially if booked at short notice, and their charges are based on this. With regards the breakfast, yes, we do offer a discounted breakfast voucher promotion to residents if they choose to purchase the night before and this is supported by a poster at the front desk. It is unusual that the reception team wouldn't have made mention of the likely taxi charges or explained the breakfast voucher discount promotion; my apologies again for this and I will certainly address both these points with them.

The fire alarm sounding was very unfortunate. This is something that rarely happens and something we couldn't have foreseen and I am very sorry that it disturbed your stay. That said, we take guest safety very seriously and having a fully functioning fire alarm system is very important.

I am very sorry that you say you wouldn't stay here again but if you would like to discuss any of the points you raise or my responses please give me a call at the hotel.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Padworth hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Found this hotel to be pleasant , friendly staff, check in quick, room a good size with a bath and a shower, evening meals very nice and breakfast plentiful.The only gripe would be the amount of dust on the back of the sofa bed, and the bath had 2 hairs in it (not the ones on your head) that I had to wash out. Maybe a bit petty but im just being honest. :))

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.

I'm very pleased that overall your stay was comfortable and that you found Holiday Inn Reading West to be a 'Great Hotel'.

I do apologise if the cleaning was not fully up to scratch and I will run through your feedback with the housekeeping team.

Many thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Padworth
BEST WESTERN West Grange Hotel
Hilton Reading
Hilton Reading
#3 of 31 in Reading
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,733 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Reading West? Share your experiences!