“Let down by check-in process”

Red Kite House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Burghfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Recently refurbished to a good standard, and the bed was very comfortable,which is extremely important for all travellers. Quality of full English breakfast was excellent; B&B was full the weekend we were there and finding a seat in tiny dining area was a challenge. The B&B is let down by their draconian booking in process. You are supposed to check in after 5pm, which did not work for a few of the guests who arrived early afternoon to go on to functions that were finishing late. The owner was friendly and helpful when I phoned her, and got us sorted promptly, but it didn't feel very welcoming arriving to a locked establishment. And check out is 10am, even on weekends, with a note in information pack that one-nighters must settle in cash.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul H, Owner at Red Kite House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Glad to hear that you liked the comfortable bed and the refurbishments that we have made. We are also glad that you enjoyed the complimentary Full English breakfast.

Sorry to hear that you feel our check in process is draconian. However we are only a family run B&B and we need time to prepare all the rooms, shop for supplies and maintain the property therefore it is not feasible to always have extended check in times.

We do however state clearly on the booking confirmation that check in is from 17:00 and check out by 11:00 and that if you wish to check-in outside of the stated times all you need to do is contact us.
We also offer a free cancellation so that if anything does not meet your needs, you are free to cancel the booking up to the day prior to your arrival at no cost.
I understand that you took advantage of this option and arrived early afternoon to attend a local function. Unfortunately at the time we were out shopping for breakfast supplies. However, arrangements were in place to allow you to gain access to your room. Again, I can only apologise there was no one here to let you in but we are not a hotel and don't have staff on duty 24 hours.

I understand your frustration with finding a table at breakfast, but we have proven so popular we have this week had to purchase additional tables and chairs which we hope will alleviate some of the problems.

We are also in the process of reviewing the guest information books in each of the rooms. Part of this is to update the checkout times to match the booking policy and also remove the note that one night stays must be paid in cash. This was an option we trialled when we took the property on in April, this has since been relaxed following the introduction of the credit card terminal. This will be removed from the Guest Information books.

We thank you for your comments and have already been proactive with improvements to both the dining room and Guest Information books.

I do hope that you will consider coming back to Red Kite House in the future to see the improvements we have made.

Please feel free to email us directly with any comments or suggestions as we can only improve if our customers tell us what we are doing well or not so well.

Our email is info@redkitehouse.com

There are newer reviews for Red Kite House Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Easy to find on the side of the road as you drive through Burgfield with a visible sign hanging by the outside wall! Very clean well equipped rooms and so nice to get a double room as a single traveler. The onsite owner was very helpful pointing out local amenities. Early continental breakfast is available. I opted for The full English served from 7:15am this was first class and cooked fresh to order. Highly recommended and will visit again when in the area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Oatcake2009
Paul H, Owner at Red Kite House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for the lovely review - really glad you enjoyed your stay.

We are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience. We welcome any feedback that you have, good or bad, and welcome suggestions for improvements that e could make.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The manageress helped us out with a last minute reservation and made our employee very welcome. The venue is perfect, with good parking, nice spacious modern and clean accommodation and easy access to all major road networks. It has a really friendly and warm atmosphere and the management could not be more accommodating. Highly recommended for business or personal travel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 June 2014

First thing to note is that it took me a while to find this place - there is a small sign outside, but not that you would notice...........website does not have a number, just "Reading Rd" - and that is a lonnngggggg road! Parking was tight by the time I arrived. The woman that owned the place was very friendly and hospitable - could not do more to help me.

I went up to my room and was horrified to see a sink that clearly had not been washed.......there were "hairs" in and around the sink that made me feel ill. Once I saw them, I pulled back the duvet of my bed.......I found 2 more "hairs" and although the bed LOOKED like it had been made with clean sheets, I questioned if it really had?

I moved rooms and the one downstairs was better. On close inspection though (I was being particularly vigilant at this stage!), the bathroom floor did look like it could do with a good mop. Also, the bin had not been emptied from the previous guest. This tainted my view, although there were positives.

The wall between my room and the next was paper thin - could hear the men next door clearly. In the am, I heard them complain about something or other.........so their stay wasn't great either. I did not eat breakfast as the lack of hygiene in the rooms made me cautious.

They have a beautiful garden with a pond and fountain - wonderful on a warm summer evening. There are chairs to sit on and a large table........and 2 gorgeous dogs! I get the impression this place is used mainly by male professionals working away from home.......I advise women to look elsewhere!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have stayed in a few hotels and b and b's in the area and I can say that this is the best by far. The rooms are lovely, very modern and comfortable. The breakfast is made to order- perfect! The lady running the b and b is also very helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ellie T

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stopped here one cold and wet December evening.
At time of booking I advised I would be arriving late (approx 11pm) and this would not have been a problem. I did arrive at 9.50pm in the end, despite not being able to find the property and had to be directed in over the phone. Property has it's own enclosed car park at the front of the building with enough spaces for all guests.
A nice friendly welcome from the landlady and her Alsation was welcoming after the long drive and I was shown to my room on the ground floor.
The room was very big with a massive bed that could easily sleep 3 adults accross. Free wifi, nice big flatscreeen Samsung TV and a very comfy bed.
Bathroom was in the corner of the room with a large corner shower and light that came on when entering.
Breakfast started at 7 and a choice of cereal was followed by whatever you wanted. I plumped for a bacon sarnie. Also pleased to get Earl Grey tea.
I would not hesitate to stop here again when in the area, and seeing as we have a factory only 5 miles away I will be highly recomending to my colleagues.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 November 2013

All reviews are very positive so all I can say is maybe I was given a very different room from everyone else.
I stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of November
Yes the room was spacious and on the ground floor. The bed was comfortable.
Only two hangers supplied ( one broken which I sort of repaired) in the wardrobe.
Carpet was in need of a good shampoo but what can you expect with a cream carpet .
The bin in the bathroom was full of the previous occupant's bits and they were still there when I left after 3 nights. There were also hairs(not mine) on the bathroom floor..I was not looking but I could not miss them.
I can't comment on the breakfasts because I needed to leave at 0700 each morning but I'm sure they would have been very nice
I don't normally stay in B and Bs and I did not expect 4 star Hotel quality
Reading other reviews, I can only assume I was put in a spare room.
Would I come back...No. I would rather pay a little bit more and stay in a Hotel where I can be assured of basic hygiene.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Just an update - Red Kite House is now under new ownership and management and many improvements have been made. However there is always room for improvement.

I hope you will reconsider Red Kite House again to sample the improvements made by the new owners and management team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burghfield
De Vere Wokefield Estate
De Vere Wokefield Estate
#1 of 1 in Stratfield Mortimer
Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel
Travelodge Reading M4 Westbound
Holiday Inn Reading West
Premier Inn Reading South (Grazeley Green)
Hilton Reading
Hilton Reading
#3 of 31 in Reading

Been to Red Kite House Hotel? Share your experiences!