“Superb!”

Jolly Tar
Jolly Tar
Ranked #1 of 1 Hannington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Having visited the Jolly Tar for a Sunday Roast a few weeks ago with just my husband, we enjoyed the food and atmosphere so much we decided to book a table to go back with a group of friends. It is by far the nicest Sunday Roast we have had in the Swindon/Cirencester area. Staff are friendly and accommodating and allow you enough space to enjoy your food/drinks but are also attentive. The portions are plentiful and good value for money. I would recommend to anyone who is looking to be fed well and in need of a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Jolly Tar

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just don't go! Four of us went for Sunday lunch today. The writing was on the wall when I booked a week ago. I asked for a table at 1pm. They said they could only do 12.45pm. I almost laughed but accepted the pedantic 15 minute earlier time. We arrived at the earlier time. We bought drinks on arrival at the bar and headed for our table - which, in fairness, was lovely - and were duly seated at their preferred time of 12.45pm. Eventually, at 1.05pm, and after I'd been back to the bar to ask when someone would take our order, we ordered our food. The starters duly arrived at 1.30pm. Nobody came to our table to ask if we wanted another drink so, again, I went to the bar and ordered the wine and set the glasses on the table and poured the wine for us all myself. Our main course arrived at just after 2.00pm - yes, over 75 minutes after we'd been seated. The food was very good - but the service very poor. Basically, children waiting on the tables who didn't have a clue about customer service - and, although not their fault, totally un-supervised. And no, the place wasn't busy - about 50% full, I'd say. Rest assured, we won't be going back - and if you're reading this, I suggest you don't go either.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal yesterday. We had a warm welcome from the Bar Manager; the menu offered good choice and the food was very good. All in all, a very good and enjoyable experience. We will return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Went for my birthday meal, last time we visited was in the late 90's so it was a while ago, the place was completely different before and had a modern feel to the new dining area.

Menu is not vast but catered for everyone on the table, the steaks are lovely as too was the steak and ale pie.

If i am honest for a pub meal it was expensive £21 for a fillet steak, but it was top quality and was all cooked beautifully.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Another lovely stay at the Jolly Tar. This time I took my grumpy old man , who always finds something to moan about , not this weekend !!! He loved his steak dinner , the room was cozy and warm . It was peaceful , the shower was hot , he had biscuits and the bed was warm and comfy !! So I had a relaxing moan free weekend , however he did moan a bit about being made to hike around Avebury in the driving wind and rain Sunday !! Thanks Steve and Leigh for making an old fart happy !

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've just had a very nice stay here with my sisters. My room (I had the largest with bath instead of shower) was very attractive, clean and comfortable - great value at £50. The only thing I would have liked was a better mirror in the bathroom for putting my makeup on in the morning but it's a small thing. We had a very enjoyable meal in the bar and the breakfast the next day was equally good and served in the lovely timber framed conservatory.

I have to say that I was rather nervous of meeting the owner after the comments I read on the site (Long weekend ruined) but needn't have been as he was great fun and very chatty.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2013

On a cold Monday evening, stopping for just one night of a long trip. we were delighted to be met with log fires, hot bath and really efficient central heating. Since this is a pub in a tiny village the place was quiet, but once we'd tasted the food we weren't surprised to find that almost all the rest of those present were regulars - long distance travellers like ourselves who arrange their journeys so that they get to stop and meet up at the Jolly Tar.
The food was excellent. Garlic mushrooms may sound simple, but these weren't the breadcrumbed soggy horrors but big generous dark field mushrooms dripping with garlicky butter, and my main of rib eye steak - I'm not much of a steak eater - showed how much care is taken in sourcing properly marbled and well hung meat. Congratulations to the buyer, the cook, and the butcher (Andrews of Highworth according to the menu)
The staff are really friendly and helpful without being intrusive.
For business travellers it is a bit of a pain that there is a very poor phone signal (it's at the bottom of a hollow), and you have to go to the lounge for the free wi fi, but they are happy to make this facility available even when the pub is officially closed. Likewise although breakfast is supposed to start at 8am they were happy to get up and cook for people who needed it earlier. And how well it was cooked. I'd eaten a lot the night before - I don't normally do three courses but when the food is as good as this I ask my stomach to make the sacrifice - so I just asked for mushrooms and tomatoes, expecting the usual one mushroom and a half of under ripe tomato. I've posted a picture of what came so you can see just how good it was. And the fruit at breakfast was beautifully ripe. I can't begin to say how rare that is.
A couple of minor details that could be improved were improved immediately when we pointed them out - can't say fairer than that

Room Tip: We had the Hornblower room - lovely deep bath and a great night's sleep
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hannington
Blunsdon House Hotel, BW Premier Collection
#1 of 3 in Highworth
The Highworth Hotel
The Highworth Hotel
#2 of 3 in Highworth

Been to Jolly Tar? Share your experiences!