Jolly Tar
Travelodge
US$73
US$62
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Newbury Tot Hill(Newbury)(Great Value!)
US$52
Travelodge
Premier Inn Basingstoke Town Centre Hotel(Basingstoke)(Great Value!)
US$91
PremierInn.com
US$92
US$81
Hotels.com
US$162
Travelocity
All reviewsthe pubreal alegreat place to stayflat iron steaklandlordaccommodationeealesvillagerspubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Having visited the Jolly Tar for a Sunday Roast a few weeks ago with just my husband, we enjoyed the food and atmosphere so much we decided to book a table to go back with a group of friends. It is by far the nicest Sunday Roast we have had in the Swindon/Cirencester area. Staff are friendly and accommodating and allow you enough space to enjoy your food/drinks but are also attentive. The portions are plentiful and good value for money. I would recommend to anyone who is looking to be fed well and in need of a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just don't go! Four of us went for Sunday lunch today. The writing was on the wall when I booked a week ago. I asked for a table at 1pm. They said they could only do 12.45pm. I almost laughed but accepted the pedantic 15 minute earlier time. We arrived at the earlier time. We bought drinks on arrival at the bar and headed for our table - which, in fairness, was lovely - and were duly seated at their preferred time of 12.45pm. Eventually, at 1.05pm, and after I'd been back to the bar to ask when someone would take our order, we ordered our food. The starters duly arrived at 1.30pm. Nobody came to our table to ask if we wanted another drink so, again, I went to the bar and ordered the wine and set the glasses on the table and poured the wine for us all myself. Our main course arrived at just after 2.00pm - yes, over 75 minutes after we'd been seated. The food was very good - but the service very poor. Basically, children waiting on the tables who didn't have a clue about customer service - and, although not their fault, totally un-supervised. And no, the place wasn't busy - about 50% full, I'd say. Rest assured, we won't be going back - and if you're reading this, I suggest you don't go either.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal yesterday. We had a warm welcome from the Bar Manager; the menu offered good choice and the food was very good. All in all, a very good and enjoyable experience. We will return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Went for my birthday meal, last time we visited was in the late 90's so it was a while ago, the place was completely different before and had a modern feel to the new dining area.

Menu is not vast but catered for everyone on the table, the steaks are lovely as too was the steak and ale pie.

If i am honest for a pub meal it was expensive £21 for a fillet steak, but it was top quality and was all cooked beautifully.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Another lovely stay at the Jolly Tar. This time I took my grumpy old man , who always finds something to moan about , not this weekend !!! He loved his steak dinner , the room was cozy and warm . It was peaceful , the shower was hot , he had biscuits and the bed was warm and comfy !! So I had a relaxing moan free weekend , however he did moan a bit about being made to hike around Avebury in the driving wind and rain Sunday !! Thanks Steve and Leigh for making an old fart happy !

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple