“a beautiful country pub, but my food let it down”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Malt Shovel

The Malt Shovel
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Gaydon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“a beautiful country pub, but my food let it down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was visiting triumph live 2014 at the gaydon heritage centre ,and as I was camping close by needed somewhere nice for my tea, I looked on the trip advisor phone app, and saw that the malt shovel was a short distance away and the reviews were excellent, so decided to visit.
they started serving meals at 6.30pm, so I had about half an hour to wait, this was not a problem as I ordered a pint of craft cider and sat outside in the sunshine reading my book, the pub is obviously an after work meeting place for the well healed locals, as it was Friday evening and the tables outside were full, but the car park was empty, apart from the odd Aston martin and jaguar.

I ordered the chicken hotpot with chorizo, shallots and potatoes served with fresh local vegetables, this was from the specials board opposite the bar and priced at £10.95, there was nothing on the menu that I fancied, it was all a bit uninspiring ( the usual steak, gammon etc )
my meal arrived after a short wait and I was a little surprised to see a pale white chicken thigh with the skin on, in a large bowl with some new potatoes and it was all sitting in a small amount of very pale semi clear gravy, this had two small pieces of chorizo, and a well cooked shallot to keep it company, it was accompanied by a tray of sliced carrots, broccoli, and green beans.

I have to say I was expecting a hearty dish of thick and spicy stew, and I suppose it is my fault for not asking if that's what I was going to get, but the word hotpot said it all for me, I removed the boiled skin from the chicken and found it well cooked but quite tasty, although the potatoes were cold and rock hard, and could well have come from a tin, but I suspect think they did not.
I tipped all the vegetables into the dish as it was looking very empty with just the chicken and potatoes, I did eat most of the food as I was hungry, and it certainly filled a gap, but at £10.95 thought it was very poor value for money.

I guess that one persons idea of a hotpot is not another's, I don't watch coronation street but betty's hotpot is apparently famous, and looks nothing like I had !!, and if you Google pictures of chicken hotpot they show a stew, maybe the chef needs to do a bit of googling, before writing the specials board.
altogether, great cider but a disappointing and expensive meal.

• Visited July 2014

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Excellent food & very welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

After trying to visit the Motor Museum at Gaydon and not being able to park within a distance my disabled Husband could negotiate we decided to give it a miss and saw the sign for this pub. The weather was glorious so we sat outside with the dogs Mylow & Rosie-Mae. We were made to feel very welcome by the two ladies, who were helpful and nothing too much trouble.

The food was delivered well presented and delicious.

Will try to visit again or move the pub to our village near Lincoln

• Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Better than motorway services!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice pub close to the M40 with ample parking, good drinks and nice homemade food. 2 courses with drinks came in around £20 a head. Will go again

• Visited June 2014
West Midlands, United Kingdom
“The best steak I have ever had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Malt Shovel in Gaydon is by far the best meal I have ever had. We have been visiting this pub/restaurant for over 10 years now and it is still my favourite. The meals are first class every time. A quaint, comfortable country pub with delicious food.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank willybobba
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Best pub food around?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We visited this pub on our way to the Lake District a few days ago based on the recommendation of the Good Pub Guide and were so impressed that we booked for lunch a week later on our way back.

The pub decor is pretty traditional without looking too olde worlde and seems to have escaped the dead hand of the chains mania for bland refurbishments.

The menu is pretty extensive without being too gastro-pubish and includes all the old favourites, though the dishes we selected, even basic ones like paninis, were all done with panache and, clearly, very fresh ingredients. The quality of the food was matched by the staff who were friendly, efficient and knowledgeable and appeared to have a genuine desire to engage the guests.

Overall, I would thoroughly recommend this pub......

• Visited May 2014