“Disappointing ”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Gaydon
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I visited this pub over the weekend and sat outside talking to a local couple who recommended the food. We placed our order at 6.15 and our food was brought out an hour and a half later. I ordered hake in tempura batter, all I can say is it's the worst meal I have ever had. If you can't cook fish and chips then there's something wrong. The fish had a funny taste to it, batter was greasy and was dripping with it. Frozen chips which you could taste dirty chip fat. My partner wanted to complain but after waiting an hour and a half for it , I did not want to send it back to wait another hour .

3  Thank roughyeds2

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We popped in here over the weekend in search of a decent meal away from the fast food fest of Triumph Live up the road (sorry Triumph Live)

No complaints at all - we had maybe a little long to wait - but that often proves that meals are cooked to order and with care rather than just rushing out the orders as so many do.

No complaints at all, the food was lovely, good quality with fresh vegetables cooked perfectly and well worth the money. I'd have no hesitation in coming back at the next Triumph Live event.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was visiting triumph live 2014 at the gaydon heritage centre ,and as I was camping close by needed somewhere nice for my tea, I looked on the trip advisor phone app, and saw that the malt shovel was a short distance away and the reviews were excellent, so decided to visit.
they started serving meals at 6.30pm, so I had about half an hour to wait, this was not a problem as I ordered a pint of craft cider and sat outside in the sunshine reading my book, the pub is obviously an after work meeting place for the well healed locals, as it was Friday evening and the tables outside were full, but the car park was empty, apart from the odd Aston martin and jaguar.

I ordered the chicken hotpot with chorizo, shallots and potatoes served with fresh local vegetables, this was from the specials board opposite the bar and priced at £10.95, there was nothing on the menu that I fancied, it was all a bit uninspiring ( the usual steak, gammon etc )
my meal arrived after a short wait and I was a little surprised to see a pale white chicken thigh with the skin on, in a large bowl with some new potatoes and it was all sitting in a small amount of very pale semi clear gravy, this had two small pieces of chorizo, and a well cooked shallot to keep it company, it was accompanied by a tray of sliced carrots, broccoli, and green beans.

I have to say I was expecting a hearty dish of thick and spicy stew, and I suppose it is my fault for not asking if that's what I was going to get, but the word hotpot said it all for me, I removed the boiled skin from the chicken and found it well cooked but quite tasty, although the potatoes were cold and rock hard, and could well have come from a tin, but I suspect think they did not.
I tipped all the vegetables into the dish as it was looking very empty with just the chicken and potatoes, I did eat most of the food as I was hungry, and it certainly filled a gap, but at £10.95 thought it was very poor value for money.

I guess that one persons idea of a hotpot is not another's, I don't watch coronation street but betty's hotpot is apparently famous, and looks nothing like I had !!, and if you Google pictures of chicken hotpot they show a stew, maybe the chef needs to do a bit of googling, before writing the specials board.
altogether, great cider but a disappointing and expensive meal.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

After trying to visit the Motor Museum at Gaydon and not being able to park within a distance my disabled Husband could negotiate we decided to give it a miss and saw the sign for this pub. The weather was glorious so we sat outside with the dogs Mylow & Rosie-Mae. We were made to feel very welcome by the two ladies, who were helpful and nothing too much trouble.

The food was delivered well presented and delicious.

Will try to visit again or move the pub to our village near Lincoln

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice pub close to the M40 with ample parking, good drinks and nice homemade food. 2 courses with drinks came in around £20 a head. Will go again