“Poor greeting, service slow but friendly, food very good and reasonably priced”
Review of The Two Brewers

The Two Brewers
Ranked #20 of 35 Restaurants in Olney
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Never been to the Two Brewers before. Just had Sunday lunch there. Nice traditional family pub with a good atmosphere when we were there. Not overly busy, just nice. Quite a few children but all well-behaved so no complaints.

The miserable greeting we received from the one lady serving both bars was not good (very poor first impression) but it generally went uphill from there. More staff?

After ordering food at the bar which is never my favourite, we waited half an hour for two chicken dinners. The service staff were friendly and polite (reason for the score of 3 for service, would have been less otherwise) and the food was very good and reasonably priced. With a diet coke and a pint of lager, it came to just under £20.

Only comments on the meal were that we received half a chicken with vegetables and yorkies on quite a small plate, so nowhere really to put the bones. Used a napkin - not the end of the world but a side plate, or a larger main plate, would have been better. Whilst we know it was not a true Sunday roast, stuffing would have been a great bonus. All in all though, no problems.

Would we return - Yes. Maybe a smile next time!!!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We really like Olney and decided to revisit as there was a Groupon offer for this pub. We had had some problems with our car and called to ask for a later time in possible, 1 hour. I was told that they were fully booked and that it was completely impossible to get a later table, so we crossed our fingers. We finally got our car back just in time to arrive around 10 mins late, having rushed to get it and arrive to the place asap. I called to let them know that we were on our way but would arrive a bit late. We did, to an almost empty place. They insisted on seating us in the only visible "reserved" table, quite small and with a lot of space taken (flower, menus, cutlery...). We asked for a bigger table just to be told that this was not possible, even though out of the only other 2 taken tables a large one was taken by another couple.

Had it been really full I would had understood, but this refusal was simply stubbornness from their part. Nobody else came to take another table while we were there. So that is to be "fully booked" for them. 3 tables out of maybe 10, and still forcing us to stay in a small one while there were many empty large ones. Not a good start, we had to move all the unnecessary things to another table to rescue some usable space.

There were 2 visible ladies, one at the bar and another taking the orders and serving them. The lady behind the bar looked quite unfriendly, whilst the other one at least gave us some smiles. The Groupon offer included a glass of wine each, and as my husband is the designated driver I was to have both and he got some soft drink. He said he asked for only one and to have the other one later, but he was given both at the same time. Of course by the time I had the second glass it wasn't as cold as it should be.

There was a special menu for Groupon clients, with maybe 6-8 options, but the food itself was quite nice and a good portion. We went for mains and dessert. Fish was very nice and my husband also enjoyed his gammon. Cakes were lovely.

Atmosphere is fine, nothing especial, normal old British pub.

They should improve the service a bit and be more flexible with the allocation of tables if they are not truly and fully booked.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Enjoyed a lunchtime meal of good plain cooking at very fair prices (especially on a Groupon deal). Impressed by the quality and variety of the menu. Unfortunately the ambience and service did not quite match the high standard of the food, but overall a good experience.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Visited the pub on a Wednesday evening, hadn't booked but knew we should find a table. Walked in to be "greeted" by the lady behind the bar who was totally miserable. No smile, no thank you, I felt us coming in for food was an inconvenience to her! Sat waiting at the table for a waitress to take our order only for her to come and say we had to order from the bar and then she walked over to the next table and take their order! The food was really good, and not overpriced.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I ate here last Wednesday for the first time after our daughter bought us a Groupon deal for a Xmas present. It allowed us 2 courses and a glass of house wine each.

There is a separate menu for Groupon customers but there is still plenty of choice. We both decided on the garlic mushroom starter, which came with a warm roll and butter portion and a side salad. It was delicious and the portion sizes were very good too.

For my main course I chose the cod wrapped in salmon with buttered new potatoes and vegetables. The fish was cooked to perfection and very moist and the vegetables were cooked exactly to my liking (still a bit firm). My husband went for the gammon with chips and a side salad. The gammon was a very large portion which melted in the mouth.

We were both too full to have a dessert!

On the whole, we both enjoyed our meals very much. The service was excellent and the staff were very efficient and friendly. We will definitely return here to sample some of the other delights on the menu.

1  Thank Amanda M