“Peaceful and Comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mai Chau
Columbus, Ohio
“Peaceful and Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

This small lovely hotel is a treat. The building id a bit dated but the staff and small touches make the stay a pleasure. The facility is clean, well kept and well managed. The restaurant was was good but ordering off the menu was a better choice than some of the included meals.

Side trips to the local villages and town were interesting and fun.

Room Tip: Pool view with deck is best
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eric D
MaiChauLodge2011, General Manager at Mai Chau Lodge, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Mr. G.,

On behalf of our hotel staff, I would like to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise.

Given the nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their best at all time. That is why it is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff's effort, and take the time to write such a nice review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to continually improve and provides a memorable experience to our guests.

However, I duly noted your comment regarding the set menus. Please accept my sincere apologies. We vary the set menus everyday and I feel sorry that you were disappointed with the ones you were served during your stay (but I am pleased that you are not questioning the quality of the cuisine as you seem to have enjoyed the dishes from our A-la-Carte menu).

I hope that you had a great time in Vietnam and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends again very soon!

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Vietnamese first
Nokomis, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

The village of Mai Chau has plenty of stilt house homes stays available.

Even though our tastes run to homestays this lovely hotel is a fine alternative. We had only  one night in April 2014 on our way north. The 'mountain facing' rooms really don't have the  expansive view of the mountains that name suggest. They look right at a slope across the road, but they are pretty and quiet. Rooms on the other side overlook a beautiful swimming pool. The pool area is lovely but we were in Vietnam... we preferred walking the short distance to the village behind the hotel to lounging at a pool you can find anywhere. Food at the hotel is probably excellent judging from the breakfast but we ate our evening meal in the village at one of the homestays. The village is an easy 10 minute stroll down the road that runs alongside the hotel until the road narrows a bit. (Bring a flashlight/torch for the walk back after dark.) On the left  there is a stilt house that takes guests.  If you have a guide he/she will know it. It's where they park to take village walks.  Our guide ordered in advance for us while we walked though the village  a few hours before we ate. These are not restaurants but families and they need to prepare in advance. The  set meal is about $7 per person.  Pay when you eat.The food was delicious. I'm a sucker for crispy spring rolls anytime but these tasted especially good. Maybe it was the setting.  Atmosphere alone could not account for our reaction to our favorite part of the meal:  chunks of fish flavored  with ginger,  stuffed into a leaf lined bamboo tube and roasted. It was one if the very best fish dishes I have ever eaten.  It's possible they'd dish up some equally good food without advance notice. Take your chances??

By the way,  this turned out to be the last place until Sapa several days later where we saw women actively weaving.  The village IS a bit touristy with all the weaving on display between the stilts but you'll be able to watch women weave these cotton rainbows...and there is absolutely no hard sell hawking. And we saw only 2 other travelers. As nice as the hotel is I wish we had planned a  stilt house stay here for a few days.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bobinathens
MaiChauLodge2011, General Manager at Mai Chau Lodge, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor, the best way for us to improve, constantly striving to achieve the highest quality standards.

What a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your short stay at Mai Chau Lodge and to know that you really appreciated the atmosphere and the services of the lodge from the decoration of your room to the pool and the plentiful buffet breakfast!
Mai Chau Lodge is a comfortable option for travelers as we strive to offer a nice and genuine service imbued with local touches (as all the staff come from the surrounding villages) but it is also wonderful to experience one night in the village.

I am also happy to know that you really enjoyed the Mai Chau Valley and had the great opportunity to share a dinner at a White Thai family's house in Lac Village. Mai Chau is a beautiful and serene place which is worth the journey. Inhabitants are so very welcoming and adorable, I am really happy you could have an insight of traditional life. The fish you were served is one of the most famous White Thai dish and indeed, I do agree that it is delicious!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and don't hesitate to contact us if you want us to also arrange a stilt house stay!

I wish you a beautiful day.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is the only comfortable place to stay in the beautiful Mai Chau Valley, apparently. The rooms are clean if possibly a little out-dated. Ours looked out over the little pool and gardens. Dinner the first night and breakfast the next morning were a bit Fawlty Towers, probably because there were very few guests. The following day when the hotel filled up, the service got into gear and we had very good meals. The staff are willing....
We enjoyed the walking and cycling in this lovely backwater, set among the paddy fields.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are probably more pleasant
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MaiChauLodge2011, General Manager at Mai Chau Lodge, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Mr. & Mrs. P.,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor. Our team does indeed ask our guests to leave a comment on their stay; there are valuable sources of information, which help us to improve our quality and service.

First of all, I sincerely regret the inconvenience you experienced with your first meals at our restaurant.
Please be assured that this happening is not typical of the service we wish to offer and that the further steps have been taken in order to avoid any recurrence of this nature in the future.
I very much appreciate your feedback which will certainly assist us in ensuring that our standards are properly handled and maintained at all times. I am however happy to know that the other meals were up to your expectations.

On a positive note, it was indeed a pleasure to read that you were overall satisfied with our service and enjoyed your stay with us as well as discovering the Mai Chau Valley by means of the activities included in your Complete Escape package.

I hope you had a safe comfortable trip back home after your holidays in Vietnam and that you really enjoyed your time in our beautiful country.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon!

Modesto, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Clean, comfortable, quiet rooms, great restaurant, beautiful & convenient location within easy walking distance of town & the ethnic villages. Breakfast was an ample buffet. Lunch & dinners were very good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank elviraModesto
MaiChauLodge2011, General Manager at Mai Chau Lodge, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and for having chosen our hotel whilst recently in Mai Chau.

It was a pleasure to read that you were overall highly satisfied with our services and enjoyed your stay with us.
Your enthusiasm for the location, your room and the restaurant is very much appreciated and is a great source of motivation for all of us. We all hope that you had a wonderful time in Vietnam.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future,

San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

The Mai Chau Lodge is located in the middle of a valley surrounded by limestone cliffs. Directly behind it are acres of rice paddies. You can easily walk to several villages and bike to many more. The staff is very friendly, the breakfast is good and plentiful and our room was very quiet. They have a performance by local Thai dancers, which we enjoyed. I understand that they have it regularly.
The hotel controls access to the cave across the road, and, for a small fee, will give you a hard hat, a flashlight and a guide. It is very interesting especially if you are willing to crawl down to access the underground lake.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are very quiet. I am not sure about the rooms on the road.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaiChauLodge2011, General Manager at Mai Chau Lodge, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Mr. and Mrs. G.,

Your feedback is indeed extremely important as it helps us to continually improve and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests.

I am glad you enjoyed your time in Mai Chau and could discover the beautiful scenery of rural Northern Vietnam.
It is also great to know that you had a nice stay at our hotel and appreciated our staff efficiency, the room, the buffet breakfast and all the activities!
Your kind words and compliments were immediately relayed to our staff who were very grateful to receive them as your satisfaction is our main priority.

I wish you an excellent continuation of your vacation and a beautiful day.

We are all looking forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon!

Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

To be honest I was torn between a score of 4 or 5 for this hotel and ideally I would score it at 4.5, but based on the fact that it is a 3 star hotel and the staff are so welcoming, friendly and hospitable I decided I had to give it 5. It is a lovely hotel in a lovely rural location on the outskirts of this small town, but with many interesting and easy walks around through the fields and local villages. It is adjacent to a small lake. This is a beautiful valley and the views immediately before dropping down to the valley on the route from Hanoi are breath-taking.

The rooms do feel a little old-fashioned and are a little dark, but the amenities and fittings are spot on (including free wi-fi), the bed comfortable,and as mentioned by others the chocolates and stories are a nice touch. For a small hotel the restaurant offered a good mix of local and more international types of food and the quality we found to be good. Watching the dancers from the local school performing after dinner was most enjoyable. The breakfast buffet was pretty good although not the most extensive we experienced during our trip through Vietnam.

However, and this is largely why I had to score it 5, I kept comparing it with other more highly star rated hotels we used during our holiday, and on nearly all counts this hotel was comparable. Apart from the fact that I never did get my eggs for breakfast on one day (the cook who insisted on bringing them to me had not noted my table and sent them out with a waiter and they were hi-jacked by someone who had ordered after me but was sitting nearer the cook!) the service was excellent - friendly, and charming.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaiChauLodge2011, General Manager at Mai Chau Lodge, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on trip advisor and for having chosen the Mai Chau Lodge whilst recently in Vietnam.

First of all, I would like to personally apologize for the unpleasant experience you had with our breakfast offer. It is a shame that your eggs were hi-jacked! I am sincerely sorry about this confusion and I have immediately brought your comments to the attention of our restaurant manager in order to avoid any recurrence of this nature in the future.

On a positive note, it was indeed a pleasure to read that you were overall satisfied with our services and enjoyed your stay with us. Customer care is indeed among our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.Your enthusiasm for our hotel and especially for our staff is very much appreciated and will be a great source of motivation for the entire team.

We all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Mai Chau very soon; meanwhile, I wish you an amazing continuation of your trip in Vietnam and hope that you will enjoy each and every moment.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Wow, what a scary drive up to Mai Chau from Hanoi, but the scenery on the way was just stunning.

The Lodge is lovely, fairly simple but has everything you need to enjoy your stay. The local fragrance they use here is a little overpowering at first, but by the time we left we loved it and bought some to bring home. The rooms are simple, but clean and comfortable. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the pool which was nice, and the extra touches added by the staff such as leaving us poems and chocolates was very sweet.

There was a minor hiccup during our stay, it was very windy and some of the guttering broke off the building and was dangling over the pool...a bit dangerous but they fixed it fairly quickly. There was also some pretty awesome storms while we were there and the power went out in the restaurant a few times from lightning strikes....but the staff looked after us well (including our terrified of storms 6 year old son) and it just kind of added to the experience.

The scenery up here is amazing....we did some hiking and cycling through the local villages and went to the markets with our guide from the Lodge. If you get up here, ask for Cuong as your guide, lovely guy!!

Lovely food in the restaurant, there are set menus each night but you can also order off the menu. Like most Vietnamese food, it is fresh and tasty. And they were happy to accommodate my special dietary needs as part of the set menu as well.

Great spot, cant wait to come back!! Will stay longer next time :-)

Room Tip: Rooms on the second level overlooking the pool are great!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jodi P
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your great words of praise for our hotel, we are delighted that your stay met with your entire approval!
It was a pleasure to read that you were overall highly satisfied with our services and enjoyed your stay with us in our beautiful valley!

Kindly be assured that your positive feedback meant a lot for us and that it has been my pleasure to share your warm comments with all the teams.

I wish you a beautiful day and we all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming your nice family again very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Chau
#1 of 7 in Mai Chau
Mai Chau Nature Place
Mai Chau Nature Place
#1 of 22 in Mai Chau

Been to Mai Chau Lodge? Share your experiences!