“Cosy, quirky, clean and friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Higham Ferrers
The Old House
“Cosy, quirky, clean and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We went here based on other reviews and we weren't disappointed. William and Simon were incredibly welcoming and hospitable. They clearly take a huge amount of effort to get things just right and they succeed. The decor is great, the whole place is spotless and the beds really comfy.

We'll definitely stay again if we're in the area and have already recommended it to friends.

Thanks Simon and William!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ben J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Trying to book a room at The Old House for 3 consecutive nights was easier said than done, but its location near to my daughter in Higham Ferrers made it the perfect choice. In the past I had always chosen to stay in hotels and motels as you do tend to know what to expect,
I drove up from Bournemouth and as instructed parked my car in the market square. The Old House stands directly opposite. It is a very smart 15th century building fronting onto the main street.
I knocked at the enormous Castle like studded door - half expecting it to creek when opened by a tall, stern faced butler uttering the words ‘ You rang milady’ Nothing could be further from the truth. I was greeted by William (till then just a name at the end of an email) He was absolutely charming and had a warm welcoming smile and a lovely energy about him. He showed me to my room which was located at the rear of the property overlooking the pretty courtyard style garden. I stood for a moment in the doorway admiring the homely, elegant décor. An Old fashioned claw footed bath stood directly to my right on a risen floor within the room, and a kidney shaped dressing table in front of me to the left. To the right was a double bed with Rolled Dark wood base and headboard elegantly dressed with French linen and brocade cushions matching the fabric draped wall behind. I found myself smiling and letting out a little sigh of approval. The bed was not only beautiful but comfortable. I had the best nights sleep ever.

Breakfast was served on portmeirion crockery in the back parlour. It was very much a personal choice from yoghurt and cereal to a full cooked breakfast prepared freshly to order. William was a very gracious host and nothing was too much trouble.There was also generous tea/coffee making facilities available in the parlour throughout my stay plus bottled water in my room. (The rates at this hotel are so very reasonable that I would recommend that fi you take advantage of the refreshment facilities offered that you leave adequate remunerations in your room as they are not charged for on your bill)
To sum up: The Old House rates as one of the nicest places I have stayed.. It’s warm, elegant, welcoming, sumptuously comfortable,and oozes positive energy. William and Simon are wonderfully generous hosts and I am looking forward to my next stay.

I am delighted to have found this gem…..oooops perhaps I should have kept it to myself

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank stone_catering
Higham Ferrers, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

An indulgence for us since we also live in the High Street in Higham Ferrers just a couple of minutes walk away from the Old House….but as William and Simon are such friendly and welcoming hosts a stay here is a real “home from home” experience and a special treat for us. Very clean and comfortable, tastefully dressed luxurious rooms and fantastic value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve_and_Emma_K
Warlingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed here for one night before headign to Northampton. Willam and Simon are so welcoming and friendly. Simon checked us in and showed us around and to our room. He also gave us info onteh local area. Room was very luxurious and had eveything you could need. Bed was very comfy.The breakfast was lovely too, cooked to perfection! We had dinner in The Griffin which I was also recommend but you must book.
Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Beautiful b&b stuffed full of antiques and period furniture luxury beds and scrummy breakfast fantastic hosts for whom nothing is too much trouble definately recommend this place.a hidden trasure perfectly located in lovely countryside and close enough to london to be used as a base for exploring the capital

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night on business. William and Simon are very welcoming, the room was so nice and the attention to detail is fab. Breakfast was really nice. My only slight drawn back is if going out late at night, you access the property from around the back and down an alley way, this is fine in the summer months, but as a lone woman traveller, going out alone in winter down a dark alley would be a little scary in a place I don't know. But I would stay here again

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

We found Simon and William very welcoming, we stayed here the night before we got married, and it was great. The room was very clean with a real old fashioned bath in it which we found lovely. Great comfortable bed, with a flat screen TV at the end. We looked out onto the rear garden which was very nice. Breakfast was lovely and the charge of £65 we thought was very reasonable. Would stay again if the need arises, as we only live a mile away.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Oundle
The Sharnbrook Hotel
The Sharnbrook Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sharnbrook

Been to The Old House? Share your experiences!