“Poor food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2018

We visited this pub as we were on a caravan rally next door. It started off well with a decent pint of real ale but the food was very poor. My wife had the steak pie, or should I say gristle pie as its contents were inedible and the crust was very dry and no gravy was provided. I had the scampi which was ok but the chips were very dry and fluffy inside and needed plenty of ketchup to make them edible. The service was slow as there did not seem to be enough staff. The place also needed a good clean. This place is ok for drink as it is in a lovely setting by the canal, but avoid the food!

2  Thank Hilary H
navigation_towcester, Manager at Navigation Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2018

Thank you for your recent review of The Navigation.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meals on this occasion and apologise if your visit did not meet your expectations. We would have liked the opportunity to put this right for you at the time but do hope you will visit us again when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

We have eaten here a few times in the past but things have seriously changed! No longer table service instead choose a table and stand 20 minutes in line at the bar. Food prices do not reflect the self service style and rather annoying to que back up half way through a meal for a drink. Anyways, food wait was 25 mins when ordering although took 50 minutes to come out. Everything was over cooked(I’ve uploaded pics) no meal check, Couldn’t even be bothered to que up and complain, just wanted to get out of there. We did message them on their Facebook with pictures of our awful food and was promised a call back from Julian which never happened.Such a shame, great pub in a beautiful location how can they get it so wrong?

4  Thank staceypaul2015

Further to your recent review of The Navigation, I note your comments.

I apologise for you having to queue at the bar, unfortunately at peak trading times this is sometimes unavoidable, although I must point out that we have never been a pub with table service.

Julian did actually call you back, but at the time you were unable to speak to him. Should you wish to discuss your visit then please do not hesitate to contact me. My contact number is 01604 864988 e-mail: navigation.towcester@marstons.co.uk. Customer feedback is important to us and I would very much like to invite you back as you were so disappointed with your food and service.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Took a walk along the canal at this lovely village in Northamptonshire. Stopped at this pub for lunch.
We both had half roast chicken and mash with peas and gravy. There was a mix up of the orders as there appears to be two table numbers 107. Member of staff totally ignored me when I tried to explain this. Our meal came out a couple of times and was taken back in. Husband had to run after staff in the end to claim the food.
The chicken did not have a nice flavour, we're not sure how it was cooked, maybe boiled and then grilled?

Table dirty. Won't be back again...

4  Thank helened838

Thank you for your recent review of The Navigation.

I apologise that the service did not meet your expectations on this occasion and have noted your comments.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Visited restaurant for my misses 30th birthday and the food was very disappointing the bacon burger was so bad that she couldn’t even eat it...she had to take the cold burger patty out and just eat a bacon....I had the tika curry pie that was ok but chicken on top was so dry and bland..had natchos for staters they were poor aswell...they need to make some changes as we would never return and after talking to a few friends they have visited and agreed the food is very poor....will never return such a shame as such a nice location new chief needed badly!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank admrlee

Thank you for your recent review of The Navigation.

I must apologise if you did not enjoy your meals on this occasion.

Customer feedback is very important to us as we continually strive to improve our customer service however we would have liked the opportunity to put this right for you at the time of your visit.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Met up with friends for lunch. Good choice of meals. Food arrived quickly once ordered. Lovely location by the canal. We were surprised how busy the place was for lunch time.

Thank you for your recent review of The Navigation.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your lunch with us and we hope to see you again when you are next in the area.