We booked this as a special DBB offer and had read the reviews. Not expecting the world we went to stay last weekend.
The hotel is in a lovely location, the drive up from the main road is a bit dicey and will probably not see out the winter if they get more snow/ice in those parts but the views and the setting are wonderful. It is a very peaceful place and not a bad drive out.
We checked in quickly and were given directions to our room. The room was fine, clean and very spacious with two double beds. The beds are a bit past their use by dates but the pillows were obviously new and were the most comfortable pillows I've ever slept on. The decor in the rooms lets the hotel down, when the outside, the reception and hallways are really nice. But it is only 3* and that is really accurate.
It would make a lovely location for a wedding, most of the large banqueting rooms were set up for weddings, and if the food is as good as in the restaurant then it'd be a winner for me.
We had dinner included in our rate and made our way to the restaurant. The receptionist had offered to make us a reservation which was good but we'd already made our own. The food was really good. We were both very impressed. We had a starter, main and dessert each and thoroughly enjoyed it, it was tasty and well cooked. We had to pay supplements for some of the dishes but they were still good value.
Having read the reviews on here I wasn't expecting much of the staff. In honesty, the waiting staff were pretty good, but I'd not have liked to be on the other end of the rolling eyes of the management. We did see a couple send some food back and the manager returned and argued with the lady about it. She then made her wait for a good 30/35 minutes for another meal. That coupled with the reviews and responses the management staff put on this site makes me think they don't take complaints or criticism too well.
We had been told a bottle of wine would be half price when we arrived for dinner, at check out this hadn't been applied (Because reception was closed when the bill was created the night before?) but it was sorted, with little eye rolling thankfully.
Breakfast was plentiful with a lot of choice. Nothing bad to say about it at all. It set us well up for the rest of the day.
All in all, if you can get this on a special offer I would say jump at it. It was very much worth what we paid and will likely return for dinner, and hopefully to stay over.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautifully set in twenty acres of Northumberland countryside and overlooking the Derwent Valley, Derwent Manor offers the warmest of welcomes. With its country house ambiance, elegant decor and professional team, this is the ideal venue for business and leisure guests alike. Derwent Manor boasts 48 spacious en-suite bedrooms , doubles, double x doubles and suites many with stunning views over the Northumberland countryside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel Allensford, Northumberland
- Best Western Northumberland
- Best Western Hotel Northumberland