“Great hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Allensford
Scotland
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights b&b. Wonderful surprise as we were upgraded to a suite of 4 rooms including bathroom complete with spa bath.The master bedroom had its own balcony plus a bed that was so big we could have slept on it in either direction. the other 2 rooms were a single bedroom with shower and a lounge which had what looked like a rather dated suite but which was the the most comfy i have ever sat on!! Never judge a suite by its covers!! Great views across a lovely part of the country. Food in restaurant was good apart from the homemade chips which were too mushy and greasy! Desserts were amazing. The service was good in the restaurant. Very friendly staff in all areas of the hotel. All the "maids" stopped to wish you good morning with a friendly smile. The hotel decor is dated in some ways as mentioned in other reviews but nothing that would stop me visiting again and nothing that detracts from the overall ambience of the hotel. Fitness suite in a separate building but sitting in the hot tub allows fabulous views down the valley. Definitely recommend this hotel for a weekend break.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Paul M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor, responded to this review, 17 November 2012
Thanks for your positive comments. Look forward to seeing you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

Just home from a one night stay. We paid £85 for 2 people, dinner, bed and breakfast, with afternoon tea on arrival and wine with dinner.
Check in was problem free and our room was very comfortable and clean, with two double beds. I can appreciate what others say about the bathrooms and TVs being a little dated, but this was not a major issue.
Afternoon tea was great - much more than expected with finger sandwiches, cake, hot toasted teacake and a hot drink.
Our experience in the restaurant was all that has stopped me from rating this hotel as excellent. There was not a lot of choice and the service was very slow, in fact at times we felt invisible. Yes, it was a busy Saturday night, but we were in the restaurant for 2 and a half hours. I didn't like anything on the menu and asked if I could order off the bar menu. I was told this was possible (at the discretion of the chef, as it was busy) to a value of £12. As the restaurant meal was listed on their menu at £22 per person, this felt a bit of a raw deal. For my main course, I opted for a rib eye steak with chips and onion rings from the bar menu. When it finally arrived, I actually received the steak with prawns that was listed on the restaurant menu. After waiting so long, I chose not to complain, and to be honest, it was quite nice, though the ‘homemade’ chips were a bit of a let down. We had seen plates arriving to other tables with chips stacked neatly on the plate. Ours were not, and to be honest, they didn't taste homemade. Desserts were quite nice, though on the small side.
After we left the restaurant at around 9.45pm, we headed to the bar, expecting it to be very busy as it was a Saturday night and the hotel was fully booked. We were amazed to find it almost empty, with no atmosphere, no real fire alight (it was freezing outside) and to cap it all, they had run out of draught lager. Last orders were called at 10.50 for an 11pm close, which for a hotel, does seem early. We did notice as we left just after 11, that drinks were still being served in the function room opposite, to a wedding party.
After a good nights sleep (no major problems with noise or doors banging), we enjoyed our breakfast. The hot breakfast portions are rather small (one bacon, one sausage, one egg, one mushroom etc) but you could help yourself to toast, cereals, juice and yoghurts etc.
Checkout was fine, though I was overcharged for my bar meal which I had in the restaurant. This was, however, quickly rectified with a call to the Restaurant Manager, so was all sorted before we left.
I can't comment on the swimming pool etc, as didn't use.
To summarise, the stay was excellent value for money and we will most probably return, though perhaps on a bed and breakfast basis, and we would choose to eat in the bar.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your full and frank comments, our menu is a selection of 8 dishes for each course and built into a very good package, we sell B& B packages for much more than the offer price, but would be delighted to see you back again.
South Shields, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

stayed here last week for 2 nights. rooms are fine, service is extremely helpful. if you get a 3 course meal included in the package be prepared to pay extra for the meal you expect, or have the standard. It didnt mention this before i booked.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Paul M, Manager at BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Many thanks as good practice we will inform all guests at point of booking, however we do not try to hide anything but endevour to offer our clients more choice
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

Just got home from a lovely night at this hotel using a groupon deal. Hotel is impressive from the outside and clean and Cosy on the inside. Our reception check in went without a hassle and our room was very clean and really comfortable, bed was probably most comfy bed I've ever slept in! Yes the bathroom tiles were a bit dated but who cares they were really clean. We had dinner included with our stay in the restaurant. I must mention that although it was busy we waited over half an hour for somebody to take our drink order. My partner didn't like anything on menu (hes a really fussy eater) but was allowed to order from bar menu (to a value of £12 for main). I had steak which I really enjoyed (paid extra supplement for this) and the sticky toffee pudding was to die for! We really enjoyed our food when we eventually got it (50 mins after being seated). I think the hotel need to look at how the restaurant is managed, it seemed a bit chaotic, tables were getting cleared before taking orders when there was nobody waiting for a table....crazy!! Staff were very friendly. Breakfast was good and service much quicker than at dinner, was glad we weren't seated in "overspill room". When we checked out at reception there was a problem with restaurant extra charges, but these were resolved quickly and efficiently. I would definately recommend and return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Paul M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Many thanks breakfast does get busy and a second room is used, glad you enjoyed the food you had, but the package you were on did state restaurant menu as it is built into your package.
Newcastle UponTyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

We recently visited the hotel for a wedding and I must say it could not have been any better. Apart from the fantastic wedding the hotel was top drawer.
I visited this hotel several years ago when looking for a venue for my own wedding and this place was looking very tired and a bit shabby hence I was underwhelmed when told we were staying there for an upcoming wedding. How wrong I was, this place is looking great now yet still holds onto a really rural feel.
To start we got upgraded to a suite which was fantastic. Separate sitting room, Huge double bedroom, en suite with corner bath etc. and a single bedroom with en suite which our son stayed in and a balcony with breathtaking views.
The bar area is really nice and the food was great. I lost my jacket at the reception with my iPhone 5, wallet and bits in and it was picked up by the staff and put behind reception. I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen the back of it but fair play somebody has some morals there.
Downside- the wine is expensive and not the best. I love my wines and for £17.50there was a very poor selection.
Definitely worth a visit

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your great comments we do try hard, delighted you got your items back, will relook at our wine offering in the new year.
Staffordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

On arrival we were given an upgrade because there had been some problems with our booking. The had been sorted efficiently prior to our visit, so the upgrade was a great surprise. We stayed in the Bolbec Suite, which had 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms and a living room. There was also a balcony and fabulous views from every window.
The rooms were clean and comfortable, but will soon be in need of an update. The staff were very helpful. Our breakfasts were delicious, and we enjoyed them so much more on the days we were in the main dining room. The 'overspill' room felt a little bogged together and temporary. If it is going to continue to be used regularly, the management should really think about how it could be made more comfortable and visually appealing. Overall a great place for exploring the local area.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
glad you were looked after, will look at breakfast service in second room.
Sunderland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

My fourth stay at Derwent Manor. I would agree with all the comments expressed in other reviews especially about the extra supplements on the dinner menu. However, I do think the "deal" offer is exceptional value for money especially with the bottle of wine included and both my husband and I enjoyed our evening meals. Our two-night stay was lovely, the room was spacious with beautiful views. We took our little dog and I am sure there will come a time when they will eventually not allow dogs as there are fewer rooms available to accommodate our canine friends - but she was made welcome and the room quality was not compromised. The surrounding countryside is gorgeous and well worth exploring. I would recommend Derwent Manor every time whatever the occasion.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We will always welcome well behaved dogs, the deal is very good and hence we give clients the ability to upgrade on the menu.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allensford
Matfen Hall
BEST WESTERN Beamish Hall Hotel
The Brown Horse Hotel
The Brown Horse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Tow Law

Been to BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor? Share your experiences!