“A real treat as always” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor

BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Allensford
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A real treat as always”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed as usual on one of the hotels special deals with dinner bed and breakfast, and once again were not disappointed.
Arrived late afternoon and had tea and scones and then spent an hour or so relaxing in the pool, sauna and jacussi. There had been a problem with the pool which we were forwarned of, it was a little cool but this was appreciated after a long stint in the sauna!
Dinner next which as usual was superb. Only problem here is choosing what to have! But helped out by the lovely waiting staff.
Breakfast is a real treat at the Derwent Manor, with fruit, cereals, pastries as well as a full English breakfast or other cooked options. then back to the pool and sauna for a little more R & R before departure.
The staff are all lovely and we were made to feel special by everyone, thanks once again Derwent Manor for a lovely little break!

Room Tip: We were upgraded this time, and the suite was amasing, but I can honestly say we have never had a pr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KEITH D, Director at BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I was delighted to read you had an enjoyable return visit to our hotel and that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay.

I will gladly pass your kind comments to all staff involved and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Derwent Manor Ltd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

this hotel is really excellent if you just want to stay and chill out, a bit out of the way, with no bus route, so its drive or taxi, the staff are excellent from the maid to the bar staff, if i had one gripe it would be my usual, dirty tile grout and bath sealent

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

KEITH D, Director at BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had an excellent bank holiday stay with us.

I will pass all of your kind comments onto all staff involved.

Newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I like nothing more from this hotel on a sunny day than sitting outside enjoying a cold glass of wine and eating the warm spicy nuts that they sell from the bar at the Derwent Manor. It's our way of relaxing, enjoying the view and the peace and quiet of the hotel and we have been doing this on a regular basis for a good few years. Over the bank holiday weekend, the weather was lovely so we decided to have a sit outside, enjoy a drink and some nuts only to find that when we arrived that there were no nuts in their usual place on the bar, the barman told us that they had stopped supplying them because of the short shelf life, very dissappointing and they couldn't offer any other snacks than crisps. It may seem such a small thing to most of you reading this but I really enjoyed sitting in the sun with a nice glass of wine chatting the day away. It's not cheap either £9.00 for a wine and two bottles of coke because they only serve coke in small bottles, but sadly we'll have to find a new place now. I would like to suggest that if they dont re-instate the nuts that they provide a selection of packet nuts and other bar snacks. They have quite a good restaurant, there's no reason why they cant provide olives or nachos. We like this hotel, we had our wedding reception there, but theres so much more the hotel can offer for non residents.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel.

I am sorry that we have decided to discontinue the hot nuts that we used to sell.

As new owners of the hotel, customer satisfaction is our primary concern as a result of your feedback I am delighted to inform you that we have introduced a wide range of additional snacks and nuts for consumption in our bar area.

We have some exciting plans for our outside area, including a heated terrace, giant parasols etc as part of our multi million pound refurbishment.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Severna Park, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I want to start this by saying that this is the FIRST time I have ever written a recommendation!

I am on a 2 month UK trip with my family from the US. I researched this trip for MONTHS. Every night was carefully planned. For our trip North to Scotland I wanted to make a stop and see Hadrian's Wall. I knew my kids (ages 8-12) would need a break so I looked for a good place specifically for kids (ie with a great pool). We usually rent houses or apartments because we have 4 kids. For this one night, we made an exception. If you look at this website, it looks awesome. Did you see the pool? And it's a Best Western so you know there will be a shower and hot water. So we rent 2 rooms (a big splurge) and prepay for internet and breakfast. The drive was long and we hit a lot of traffic on the way. I called and let them know we were going to be late and asked about the pool closing time. The rest of the drive became a mission to make it to the hotel before the pool closed at 9pm. The kids even changed into their swim suits in the van. We pulled in at 830pm-30 min of swimming!! Ran to the desk to get the pool key...guess what...the pool has adult swim from 6:30 pm to 9 pm (closing). My youngest lost it in the lobby. So did I, I admit. I did aske to speak to the manager but he/she was conveniently on holiday for the weekend...
I found out that the manager, not Best Western has set this policy. I can't tell you how upset, I was. Most families that are going to see cool things like Hadrian's wall, Durham's Cathedral, etc. go during the day, come back to the hotel, eat dinner, then go swimming. There is NOTHING else for kids to do here at night. We checked. Even the TV's have 6 channels (no kids channels) and they sit below the bed height-weird. THIS IS NOT A FAMILY PLACE AS ADVERTISED. I would love to get a refund.

Summary:
Lovely view and hotel
Nice breakfast
Great place to get married or come as a couple
NOT A FAMILY PLACE
POOL CLOSES AT 6:30 for KIDS!!!! VIA MANAGERS ORDERS

REFUND PLEASE

Room Tip: Not a family hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GwenG313
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with and also your review that you posted on the BEST WESTERN review site.

I apologise if you feel we did not exceed your expectations whilst staying with us regarding the opening times of our pool. As independent owners of the hotel we adhere to our own policies and not BEST WESTERN.

As new owners of the hotel customer satisfaction is our primary concern. The reason we have specific times for children is to ensure all guests enjoy the leisure facilities, be it a couple, family or local leisure club member.

I was not at the hotel the time you checked in as I had left for the day. However as a result of your feedback we have extended the swimming hours for children until 7.30pm.We feel that this gives a fair balance to all of guests to ensure they all receive a superior experience whilst staying at our hotel.

The hotel is embarking on a multi million pound refurbishment programme which will include the upgrading of all of the hotel facilities including TV's.

Once again my sincerest of apologies.

Derwent Manor Ltd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allensford
Matfen Hall
BEST WESTERN Beamish Hall Hotel
The Brown Horse Hotel
The Brown Horse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Tow Law

Been to BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor? Share your experiences!