“Isolation and escapism from the world !!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thropton
Lorbottle West Steads
Ranked #5 of 6 Thropton B&B and Inns
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Isolation and escapism from the world !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

A lovely stay at Lorbottle Westheads - a real 'get away from it all' experience. The price was great - £60 per night - but get another couple to come with you as the cottages sleep 4 (in 2 rooms) so you can make it really economical ! Having said that, one bedroom has 2 singles and the other is a double so a family stay is probably more appropriate ? The hosts were super too, we mentioned we'd brought no towels and she immediately fetched loads, there was a slight technical problem with the TV and the host immediately fetched someone to assist ! One or two issues are that you are 4 miles from the nearest village (Thropton) and the shop there (post office) only appears to be open daytime hours so make sure you've got all your essentials before settling in ? The bathroom is downstairs and the farmer's pet dog will follow you if you go for a walk in the surrounding lanes so best to check with the owners if he's allowed ! Lots to do locally, Rothbury, Alnwick, Hadrian's Wall etc etc

Room Tip: There is also a B & B service in the farmhouse, breakfast is £5 per head extra.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

My two daughters (aged 11 and 9) were looking for somewhere near Alnwick Castle and we were lucky enough to come across Lorbottle West Steads. What a find! Helen and Les were the perfect hosts. We arrived to find a lovely farmhouse and a well furnished, clean, spacious room for the three of us. My girls had been sold on the fact that it was a farm and Les immediately picked up on this and took them to feed the sheep and chickens to their delight. They even had the chance to collect eggs, trust me this is now more important than seeing where Harry Potter was filmed! They are already nagging me to go back - which I definitely will be doing as soon as I can. If you want some space, peace, quiet and something to keep the kids occupied this is the place. I can't recommend it enough I just hope their reputation doesn't build so much that I can't get in next time!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We first stayed in the cottages at Lorbottle Weststeads in October 2009 and we must have been back around a dozen times since. So what is its attraction?

We love the getting away from it all feel of the place; as you drive down the track to the farm and the cottages you are so aware of there being nothing else around. Of an evening you can walk out across the fields (usually with Tigger the dog for company) and hear nothing other than perhaps Leslie putting in a late shift on the tractor or quad.

The cottages themselves are cool and airy in Summer and warm and cosy off season. Hosts Helen and Leslie are lovely people; quietly unobtrusive but there if you need them (and the very generous gifts of fresh farm eggs and a sample of one of Helen's fabulous sloe gin creations are always hugely welcome when we arrive). They suggested that we go and stay in April last year to be part of the lambing season. Not only did it give the kids (and us!) a no holds barred understanding of what is involved in the process but it also reinforced how incredibly hard Helen and Leslie work to get as many lambs and mothers through the whole business unscathed (I would never have believed there was such a thing as a sheep truss if I hadn't see one in action with my own eyes!).

It is a little drive to Alnwick and the fabulous Northumberland coast beyond but through such lovely country that it's all part of the attraction for us. Rather like Northumberland itself Lorbottle Weststeads is one of the country's best kept secrets but one that I'm risking sharing!

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

This was my first time staying here and I will be back. If you are looking for a slice of heaven, lush green rolling hills dotted with sheep, crisp clean air coupled with farmhouse adventure, this is the place to stay. My adventure began with my private bedroom in the main house (stocked with a variety of teas & coffees) with a large bathroom complete with a 7ft long tub right across the hall to soak in and melt your worries away. The view from my bedroom window was stunning. It didn't take long for me to put wellies on and dive right into the farm experience tour led by Leslie, feeding cows, sheep and chickens. Throughout my adventure, I was well fed by Helen and Les, a substantial breakfast, with no shortcuts taken and Helen's homemade jams are fantastic. Both service and experience were phenomenal. My 4 day adventure ended with making some new friends, Merc the border collie, Tigger the Jack Russell and two fabulous people, Les & Helen. When you are here, you are treated like family.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

This was the third time that I have stayed here for the Rothbury Traditional Music Festival. The friends I was with have stayed here every year for the past 15 years - it is so good. Helen and Les are wonderful hosts, and they work so hard! Les is a farmer and Helen runs her own craft business, as well as having two holiday cottages. Breakfast is sublime - with local produce and plenty of samples of Helen's home-made jams and marmalades. All at a great price!
Unfortunately, I forgot my mobile phone when I left last time but Helen very kindly brought into Rothbury for me free of charge! I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Harwich Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

My wife Christine and I booked with Helen and Les a couple of months ago, we were first attracted by the location as we had wanted to visit Northumberland for quite some time. We arrived during the Wimbledon final and Andy Murrey had just won his first break game. An excited Helen met us at the door and gave us such a big welcome. Her husband Les is such a hard working farmer but he even took time out to meet us and we were both made to feel at home immediately.
Our room overlooked the front of the house and the views of the surrounding countryside were stunning, with rolling hills in the distance and gentle farmland in the foreground.
The room ( a double en suite ) was very clean and comfortable with a good selection of tea and coffee facilities, also some biscuits were in the basket.
The room was very comfortable with a rocking chair in the corner so as to rest weary feet, the bathroom consisted of an electric shower which was very easy to use ( unlike some I have experienced ), a hand basin with mirror and light above with electric razor socket and a toilet, air was withdrawn by an extractor fan when the main light was put on.
The breakfast was to die for, with a good selection of cereals, yogerts and fruit salad, 2 sausage, 1-2 eggs, 2 bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms and toast with fruit juice and tea or coffee. This meal will set you up for the day and may see you through to your evening meal, it's that good.
Helen and Les are really lovely people who will make every effort to make your stay an enjoyable one, they even let me get a little involved with the shearing of the sheep although I hadn't a clue what I was doing they showed great patience and a lot of laughter.
The general area is abounding with bird life and is a great place for twitchers.
There are two large cottages that look really comfortable although I didn't look around them and Helen & Les will also cook breakfast for people staying there as well. It's a win win all round.
Jet and Tigger are two very busy but loving dogs who will certainly soak up any petting you like to give them.
All in all this was a superb stay and I hope I have conveyed our delight at having been part of Helen and Les's life even for a short time.
Chris and Tony Mobbs

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Helen_F432, Owner at Lorbottle West Steads, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed chasing sheep

Been to Lorbottle West Steads? Share your experiences!