“The Mottley Crew!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Heddon-on-the-Wall
Ironsign Country House
Reviewed 15 October 2011

our family group consisted of 8 adults, so we took up all of the rooms. It is well positioned for walking the Wall, we stayed for 2 nights. The B&B is very clean and comfortable, with baths! Great for relaxing those weary bones and feet, we'd walked west to east, so it was our final stay. We walked to the end from here, and taxied back, then on to where we had begun 6 days earlier. Owen went out of his way to ensure we had a taxi, providing us with phone numbers, and then finding a better deal for us.
The food was excellant, 8 had dinner the first evening, and 4 the second, with the others heading to the pub. All of the meals were delicious, including breakfasts.
The rooms were very spacious, clean and comfortable. We would definitely recommend staying here

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 September 2011

Am surprised to read so much criticism of this b & b yet can't deny some of the things mentioned - yes, perhaps a little expensive for what you get. And true, only white toast with breakfast and true, no fruit or yoghurt on offer BUT enjoyed cereal and tempted to scrambled egg with tomato and bacon which was cooked to perfection. We chose our breakfast time to suit our wish to depart by 9am - maybe that suited Owen too so no problem there. Room - and particularly the bed - was very comfortable; tv did not have writing across it; there were both toiletries and heating on in the bathroom and the shower ran hot (however, did not try it after 8.30pm as mentioned by one reviewer). Could have done with an extra small towel (only one between us along with the two bath towels) and also an additional teaspoon - not only on the bedroom tea tray but also on the breakfast table where curiously there was only one between four of us. Am sure that Owen would have provided one had we asked! Welcome was warm and b&b is in an excellent position if you are walking Hadrian's Wall.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2011

After a long walk from Wallsend we were grateful for the hospitality of our hosts at Ironsign B&B, the rooms are spacious and comfortable while the evening meal and breakfast were restaurant quality and very reasonable priced. If you are walking the wall or just looking for somewhere pleasant to stay I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My daughter and I have just returned home from walking Hadrian’s Wall. We spent our last night at Ironsign B&B. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.

Owen and his wife were lovely. We had been walking since 7am and were ready to hang up our boots up by 2pm which was a little early for the B&B. However, they looked after us and gave us our room that was already prepared. In the evening they took us to Heddon to eat at the pub which was very kind and beyond the call of duty, as we didn’t feel we could manage a three course dinner at the B&B.

Our room was warm, comfortable and clean. The shower was lovely and hot. Owen gave us a lovely breakfast. He accommodated my daughter’s vegetarian wishes, and my bacon was cooked just as my mum used to do it. We wanted an early start and a 6.30am breakfast was available as requested. We left clutching a delicious apple each off their tree.

We cannot think of a bad thing to say. Overall, we would definitely recommend this B&B and hope, one day, to return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Angelamb61
Reviewed 27 August 2011

The proprietor turned off the hot water at 8:30, causing me to take a cold shower. When I asked why, he said it was because he expected his guests to shower before breakfast (which he served promptly at 8). He also stated that he would shortly remove the bathtubs from the two rooms that had them in order to conserve hot water, and he referred disparagingly to "the ladies" who in his view used too much of it. The setting was attractive, the rooms were comfortable, and the food was good (though the breakfasts were sparse compared to the ones at other B&Bs), but there is no excuse for such misplaced parsimony.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank martin m
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My partner and I stayed at Ironsign last week and were very happy with the room and food provided. We were arriving late and the door was left open and room ready for us to go straight in. Breakfast was great with the most delicious farm eggs i've had for a while. Kindly Owen let me park my car in his car park while we walked the wall (6 days) with no extra charge at all - so find it rather shocking that any reviewer would call him stingy! We mostly camped and used bunkhouses for the rest of the walk so i dont know how prices compared for other b and b's along the way, but with the free car parking thrown in as well i thought it was great value for money. As for Owen, He was friendly, eager to please and full of useful info about the path and the area. Would definately recommend and return.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2011

It's not all bad. As other reviewers have noticed, Owen is a character, with a dry and mischievous sense of humour - but I found him to be warm and chatty. My room was large, clean, and the bed was exceptionally comfy.

Unfortunately, there were no more positives. Having read through the previous reviews, I can confirm the negatives that have been previously mentioned.

At £45 for single occupancy, this was my most expensive stay whilst walking the Wall. It was also the only place that informed me when I was having breakfast - most other places gave a window of choice. It was the only establishment that offered nothing beyond tea and coffee on the tea tray. There was no decaff coffee or hot chocolate (I like at least something decaffeinated to drink of an evening) and there was no packet of biscuits. (I was really miffed at the lack of biscuits!)

Every other establishment on the Wall had a hot shower. Ironsign's shower remained the same luke-warm temperature, no matter what you did to the temperature dial. Every other establishment had toiletries in the bathroom. Ironsign had othing beyond a bar of soap. The TV worked perfectly in every other establishment. At Ironsign, it proved impossible to turn off the annoying green writing across the screen.

Every other establishment gave me brown toast in the morning. Ironsign just served up white sliced, alongside the worst breakfast on the Wall. There was no fruit, there were no yoghurts. My vegetarian breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, beans and tomatoes, and was the most basic B&B breakfast I have seen in ages.

One gets the impression that Ironsign's owners are putting very little effort in. They seem unaware (or unwilling) to act on the criticisms previously received here on Tripadvisor. They also seem woefully unaware of what travellers receive at other B&B's, and as they are unwilling to provide a similar level of service, they come across as stingy. They look like they are trying to make as much money as possible out of each individual stay, but surely they are missing out on repeat business? I certainly wouldn't stay again, or recommend the place.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank loradora80

Been to Ironsign Country House? Share your experiences!