“A long walk”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Heddon-on-the-Wall
Ironsign Country House
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I have nothing but praise for Owen and his wife. I stayed there on the 04th May. Very welcoming place with fantastic views. I was so happy there was a bath to soak in and rest my aching feet. The evening meal was first class and lots of it. I was more than happy especially as I walked 2 miles off target listening to my headphones. I called the B&B and Owen came to my rescue . I would not hesitate to come and stay with you again

Beckie Scotcher

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Beckie S

Reviewed 27 April 2012

The place is very nice, great views and good location. The room was good as well.
The problem with this place is the owner's oddness. When booking I told him we were vegetarians, and he said he could cook dinner for us, but on the day we were to arrive he called at 07.43 (!) in the morning to ask whether we ate fish; when I said no he sighed and complained about vegetarians. He repeated this when we arrived. The dinner he cooked was actually quite nice, but if it was such an effort he could have told us to eat in the pub!
Also quite annoying was the fact he didn't offer drying facilities for our boots; when we got there with wet boots he told us to leave them outside, but since they were very wet we brought them into our room (we placed them on our t-shirts to save the room!). Only late at night he offered to put them in the boiler room, but since there was no newspaper they were still wet the next day.
The breakfast was also quite disappointing; he didn't offer us a choice and just served me a veggie breakfast (consisting only of tomatoes, mushrooms and scambled eggs), which I didn't actually want. There was hardly any choice in cereals.
The owner just seems unaware of what walkers want and a bit awkward socially...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Saskia R
Reviewed 15 October 2011

our family group consisted of 8 adults, so we took up all of the rooms. It is well positioned for walking the Wall, we stayed for 2 nights. The B&B is very clean and comfortable, with baths! Great for relaxing those weary bones and feet, we'd walked west to east, so it was our final stay. We walked to the end from here, and taxied back, then on to where we had begun 6 days earlier. Owen went out of his way to ensure we had a taxi, providing us with phone numbers, and then finding a better deal for us.
The food was excellant, 8 had dinner the first evening, and 4 the second, with the others heading to the pub. All of the meals were delicious, including breakfasts.
The rooms were very spacious, clean and comfortable. We would definitely recommend staying here

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Am surprised to read so much criticism of this b & b yet can't deny some of the things mentioned - yes, perhaps a little expensive for what you get. And true, only white toast with breakfast and true, no fruit or yoghurt on offer BUT enjoyed cereal and tempted to scrambled egg with tomato and bacon which was cooked to perfection. We chose our breakfast time to suit our wish to depart by 9am - maybe that suited Owen too so no problem there. Room - and particularly the bed - was very comfortable; tv did not have writing across it; there were both toiletries and heating on in the bathroom and the shower ran hot (however, did not try it after 8.30pm as mentioned by one reviewer). Could have done with an extra small towel (only one between us along with the two bath towels) and also an additional teaspoon - not only on the bedroom tea tray but also on the breakfast table where curiously there was only one between four of us. Am sure that Owen would have provided one had we asked! Welcome was warm and b&b is in an excellent position if you are walking Hadrian's Wall.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2011

After a long walk from Wallsend we were grateful for the hospitality of our hosts at Ironsign B&B, the rooms are spacious and comfortable while the evening meal and breakfast were restaurant quality and very reasonable priced. If you are walking the wall or just looking for somewhere pleasant to stay I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My daughter and I have just returned home from walking Hadrian’s Wall. We spent our last night at Ironsign B&B. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.

Owen and his wife were lovely. We had been walking since 7am and were ready to hang up our boots up by 2pm which was a little early for the B&B. However, they looked after us and gave us our room that was already prepared. In the evening they took us to Heddon to eat at the pub which was very kind and beyond the call of duty, as we didn’t feel we could manage a three course dinner at the B&B.

Our room was warm, comfortable and clean. The shower was lovely and hot. Owen gave us a lovely breakfast. He accommodated my daughter’s vegetarian wishes, and my bacon was cooked just as my mum used to do it. We wanted an early start and a 6.30am breakfast was available as requested. We left clutching a delicious apple each off their tree.

We cannot think of a bad thing to say. Overall, we would definitely recommend this B&B and hope, one day, to return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Angelamb61
Reviewed 27 August 2011

The proprietor turned off the hot water at 8:30, causing me to take a cold shower. When I asked why, he said it was because he expected his guests to shower before breakfast (which he served promptly at 8). He also stated that he would shortly remove the bathtubs from the two rooms that had them in order to conserve hot water, and he referred disparagingly to "the ladies" who in his view used too much of it. The setting was attractive, the rooms were comfortable, and the food was good (though the breakfasts were sparse compared to the ones at other B&Bs), but there is no excuse for such misplaced parsimony.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank martin m

Been to Ironsign Country House? Share your experiences!