“Never again......”
Review of The Village Inn

The Village Inn
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I recently had a three night stay in the Inn and it was an experience never to be repeated.

When I arrived I was shown to room 4 which looked to be very clean and tidy. I was aware that I had booked a single en suite and had booked it as it was close to where I needed to be and it was the only one available in the area. What I did not know was the room was extremely small, approx. 7 ft square and had two velux ceiling windows for natural light. The en suite shower room was equally small but provided a good supply of hot water. During my stay, the room was not cleaned, nor were the towels changed. My requests were unanswered, although my request for more tea bags and milk were.

I had read the information on the Inns website which did indeed mention 'noise from the bar can travel through the stone walls during opening hours'. On my first evening the live music (which was very good) started at 8pm and finished around 11pm which with the associated bar noise which followed the end of the music meant that sleep before 1am was impossible. The other two evenings followed the same pattern. An ear protector vending machine is handily located in the upstairs hallway for use by visitors.

I did not eat breakfast at the Inn due to their opening times, but can certainly agree with other reviewers that the food and beer served in the evenings was exceptionally good and varied.

In summary...if you want a good nights sleep, do not stay at The Village Inn, if, on the other hand you like your music so loud that it rocks your bedroom floor and vibrates through the toilet, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Cats W

Reviewed 18 August 2013

The friendly nature and service of the staff was very good right from the start. The manager (owner?) was especiallly friendly and accommodating. His dark beer was surprisingly good!
Getting to the room meant going up the stairs next to the kitchen cupboard and entrance and was threadbare and a bit grungy.
Upstairs, the hallways looked not quite finished and cheaply done or DIY. The rooms had been done recently and in good taste, however again just seemed to be done on the cheap. Our cold water tap was loose in the sink and the shower was also very loose in its mounting, although both functioned perfectly. We stayed on a Friday night, and true to their website's warnings we heard loud music, but the Village Inn sympathetically had installed an earplug dispenser in the hall to ease our slumber. The room was very clean, and the bed comfortable, but the sleigh style bed sported a splintery, fist sized depression in the thin wood at the footboard which distracted from the overall impression of the room.
We paid £79 via Laterooms.com but we thought this was overpriced.
Evening meal was mostly tasty. Veg were bland, but meat and the Sticky Toffee pud was very good. Breakfast seemed a bit skimpy for a full English, including the smallest sausage I've ever seen. Beans were served in a little bowl, which kept them hot and tidily out of the other items on the plate. We made our own instant coffee or tea from the table from a hot water jug, which was less than inspiring.
Some attention to detail and continual improvement could make this a cozy stop worth a revisit.

Room Tip: All rooms are above the bar area, and suffer bar noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan W
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Arrived on a Weds evening for a 3 night stay, pub was busy with drinkers and diners every night. We found the menu to be varied - all the choices we made were delicious. One of the highlights was the beer brewed by Phil at nearby micro-brewery. Our room was very comfortable, clean and well equipped. We would recommend everyone to visit if only for a meal

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

It’s rare that you come across pub food this good, and I don’t think the staff realise just how good it is! I was staying at the Linden Hall three and a half miles away and spotted this place while driving back one evening. Sick of room service I drove up the road for some traditional pub food and the menu looked decent and there were plenty of specials available too. I had the battered brie special followed by the steak special on the first night and, because it was so good, I went back the next night and had the stuffed chicken breast special.

The portions are absolutely huge and eating three courses would be a Man vs Food style challenge, but unlike many pubs that do big portions, the quality is such that you can tell the management and chef really care about what they’re cooking – everything tastes fresh, homemade and you can tell that someone has put passion into the menu. I travel around and eat out a lot and it’s no exaggeration to say that this has to be the best pub food I’ve ever had, and if you’re vaguely near the area it’s worth a visit.

It cannot be easy running a pub in this area – there are hundreds of country pubs all serving food and the seasonal nature of Northumberland must mean that the emphasis goes on the drink and the regulars which can often make diners and visitors feel like an afterthought, but the Village Inn doesn’t seem to have these problems – it remains, unequivocally, a traditional village pub, but it’s selling point is the food, and if there’s any justice this place will gain a national reputation as a destination pub, providing the management and chef do not get headhunted!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank GarethK95
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I had Squid which was lovely, kids chicken nuggets and chips were gorgeous and the burger was honestly the best beefburger i have tasted. It doesnt try to hard impress but thats the whole point !. If you want a good ale,a great Burger and chips and live music this is the pub for you !.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Bobbyboak
Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a midweek dinner here and although there wasn't much atmosphere on a cold week night the staff were very friendly and the food was good fresh pub grub! Lovely spot in front of fire.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stayed here on thursday night, double room en suite B&B. Good value at £45 and a very nice room - comfortable clean bed, freshly decorated and clean bathroom. I ate dinner in the bistro which was also pretty good. This is a really nice environment to stay in but my stay was spoiled by noise. I was in room 1 which is directly above the bar. The bar was noisy when I went to bed but, as it shuts at 11pm on a Thursday night, i reckoned that would be ok. Sure enough at 11pm the music went off but the chatter went on, and on and came right up through the floor of my room making it impossible to sleep. By 1:45am I'd had enough and went to go downstairs to the bar to ask for a different room. The door connecting the accomodation to the bar (and the rest of the Inn) was locked after 11pm, so the only way downstairs is by the fire exit, to the outside of the building and in through the exterior doors. I decided not to do that, but to phone reception instead. There's no phone in the room so I called the main number on my mobile and the barman answered. I asked to be moved into a different room because of the noise and, to be fair, although he didn't apologise or offer to move my room, he did say "We'll be gone in 5 minutes". The noise did die down immediately after that. I doubt I'll return, but my advice if you do stay here is not to take rooms 1 or 2 as they seem to be directly above the bar.

Room Tip: Avoid any of the rooms above the bar - room 1 and 2 for sure, ask if the others are too. or make fri...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Niz8et
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longframlington
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
#5 of 12 in Rothbury
The Cook & Barker Inn
The Cook & Barker Inn
#1 of 2 in Newton on the Moor

Been to The Village Inn? Share your experiences!