Free cancellation until 22/07
US$130
US$117
US$78
Savings alert! 40% below average rates

The price you found is 40% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$131/night.

US$143
US$176
US$154
US$143
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscolin and joyceforest viewdrying roompennine waycup of teatwo dayskirk yetholmon arrivalreal alegreat hostsnext morningplace to staylast legnothing is too much troublegreat placegreat foodother guests
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a much-delayed second attempt at posting from our stay in August 2017. We couldn't let such good service go unmentioned, so here goes....

We were warmly welcomed by a clearly-busy Colin, who had no hesitation in getting the kettle on for us following our walk from Bellingham. He spent some time chatting with us then showed us to the room, which was spotless and had all we needed.

During the evening we had an excellent meal freshly cooked freshly cooked by Jayne, preceded by a sampling or two from Colin's well-stocked bar. We'd booked the two-night stay with transport to Trows Farm (for Windy Gyle), which really is a terrific option, and makes the last stages of the PW "do-able" for us less hardy walkers.

In our case we had a hiccup in that a walking injury the previous week flared up. Colin and Jayne promptly packed us off to hospital for treatment, and on our late-night return we were treated to a freshly-cooked lasagne courtesy of Jayne. This was service way beyond the call of duty.

We were forced to abandon the following day's walk, and with it our triumphant stagger into Kirk Yetholm. We're now ready and planning to revisit the Last Stretch very soon, and will certainly contact Jayne and Colin to see if they can squeeze us in during the next month or two.

Some reviewers have said this couple deserve a medal, which dums it up perfectly.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2018

Joyce and Colin have years of experience at Forest View and I hope they can stave off long term fatigue for some time to come. The accommodation is very clean and the cooked breakfasts and dinners are to a high culinary standard with an emphasis on healthy choices.
Their logistics are complex. There's catering for guests, stocking up the Inn with large distances to cover in some instances There's providing a shuttle service to Trows Farm for Pennine Way walkers on the two night package and also operating a separate baggage shuttle service in partnership with other providers. This must be exhausting particularly for Joyce.
In my case as a Pennine Way walker on the two day package, I potentially needed extra time to meet the rendezvous location two and three quarter miles below the summit of Windy Ghyl, as one of the other guests was a professional walking tour guide twenty years my junior. I was provided with a special septuagenarian early starter breakfast of two slices of bread, jam, a single serving packet of cereals , milk, a drink with a straw and a cereal bar.
Starting at 07:30 I had sufficient calories to make it with half and hour to spare. My O/S Explorer download map synchronised perfectly with the O/S Explorer extract map book. The very adequate way posts meant that it was easy to identify Windy Ghyl and navigate down to the wide grassy track down to the green 'tin' barn furthest away from Trows Farmhouse ignoring the stone barns.
There is good mobile signal on most of this part of the Pennine Way so I texted Joyce with my progress. As I had successfully managed my previous fourteen days on the Pennine Way I don't think there was a disproportionate risk even although I cannot keep up with fitness instructor pace. It was indeed nice to integrate with the other guests in the dining room on the second night rather than have to conduct conversations through the arch in the conservatory.
To make Forest View easier to run I would recommend a booklet in each room with full information on the room facilities, the way the keys work including the key to the bathroom, the WI-FI code, bearing in mind the Pennine Way walkers may be quite tired after previous days walking.
I feel that some verbal descriptions Colin provided exaggerated the present day reality of the route in that this section of the Pennine Way is well signposted, has good wide paths often with plank or stone slab overlays and in no place has dangerous peat bogs. Even an octogenarian would have little difficulty at night! There is however a common risk of high winds and adverse weather in this exposed area and for emergency use there is a shelter hut. Text messages are often received with considerable delay.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be good, but appreciate Forest View is at a remote location
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2018

We stayed at the Forest View Inn on the last two days of walking the Pennine Way. The Inn offers everything that weary travellers need after 250 miles of walking. From the moment we walked through the door we were really well looked after. Colin made us a pot of tea, cleaned our very muddy boots and took them to the drying room. Later he showed us to our bedroom which had a comfortable bed and a very powerful en-suite shower. Dinner is served in the Foresters Restaurant and is cooked by Joyce. There are a number of choices all of which are ideal to build you up for the next day's walk.
Colin and Joyce throw their hearts and souls into running the Inn and really do deserve recognition for all their efforts which were very much appreciated by both us and our fellow walkers.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

Fantastic stay at Forest View , our every need catered for by Joyce and Colin ! No sooner had we arrived and our boots and poles were taken away and stacked in the drying room . A cup of tea on arrival and the room so comfortable with excellent shower.
The bar was very well stocked , excellent beers and the evening meal was superb , delicious with generous helpings . All in all our best stay so far on the PW , Well done Joyce and Colin! Nicola and Jamie -

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2018

I agree with the majority of the 5 Star reviews, and I must add that The owners go the extra mile to ensure that you are well provided for including cleaning and drying your boots ! This place provides everything you need for a 2 night stop on the Pennine Way. The only reason it is not a 5 star is the limited menu, albeit all good quality, and the lack of flexibility over dinner time. I understand and accept the reasons for this but in fairness to other places I have reviewed I cannot give it 5 stars.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
F0restView, Owner at Forest View Walkers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Hi Geoff I am glad that you enjoyed your visit but I think you have posted this review in the wrong place you stayed in Spruce Cottage bunkhouse(£21 per night) over the road to Forest View Inn . The bunkhouse is a self catering venue but as some guys that had booked in advance had requested a set meal at 7 o clock.When you called on the off chance without a booking you asked if I could make you one too. That night the set meal which was 2 courses for £10 was lasagne I am sorry that it was not one of your favourites. If you let us know you are coming next time we can let you know if food will be available but the norm is that Spruce Cottage is self catering. Of course if you would like to book into Forest View Inn next time you would of course have the choice of 3 starters, 6 meat mains and 6 veggie options plus several choices of dessert.