“A great stay”
Review of The Byrness Hotel

The Byrness Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Byrness
The Byrness Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Byrness B&B and Inns
Shipley, United Kingdom
“A great stay”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Byrness Hotel for 2 nights on the last stretch of The Pennine Way. Katie was a wonderful host and made our time there extremely enjoyable. The room was spacious and very clean and the food was excellent. We bought a clock from Katie's shop which she shipped to us on a later date, much appreciated.
We would recommend anyone passing through the area to stay at the Byrness Hotel.
Sorry for the late review Katie and thanks again for everything :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Great Dunmow
Reviewed 15 November 2013

If you're travelling on the A68 through the border country plan to leave 40 minutes early to ensure you don't miss out on breaking your journey here. Toilets, tea, cakes and even a beer plus the friendliest welcome we've ever received in a tea room. Last time we travelled down from Jedburgh to Hexham we deliberately planned a stop here having found it the previous year. This is a remote area with few roadside amenities and we've sometimes found it difficult to find a good place to stop, but now when we see the signs for the Byrness hotel and Katies Cafe we know that we've got somewhere warm and fun to pull into.

Room Tip: Look for the signs for Katies Cafe
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Allen L
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 4 August 2013

which is part of this complex. wow what a find. If you are ever driving the A68 this is your new coffee toilet stop. Look out for the big blue sign. large comfortable olde world room .. home made cakes and great tea and coffee. All served with a bit of crack too. enjoyed our banter chatting about walking and tourism in the North Northumberland area. Good luck will call in next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JillandMal
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I arrived late in the evening being told this hotel allowed back packers.
It looked to me as if I would be as welcome as a trump in a space suite. The place looked far to smart to receive a smelly solo back packer.
The walk up the steep drive filled me with trepidation as i was sure I would be sent on my way.
I could not have been more wrong.
The welcome I received from Katie the owner was so warm and welcoming, I was allowed to stay in her garden, I think the normal condition is eat and stay free, however i was not hungry had a couple of beers (draught from her well stocked bar) and stayed free with out feeling in any way guilty. I went into the house which appeared comfortable clean and most importantly homely. A beautiful rural setting which has the advantage of being right on the pennine way. No detour necessary. Would have no hesitation in staying here B/B should I travel this way again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank stvekay
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed at the Byrness Hotel last Friday - the night before our final leg of the Pennine Way. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with incredible warmth and friendliness from the owner, Katie. She quickly settled us with tea and cake- always welcome after a day of damp walking! Katie provided us with a great deal of local info and offered to pick us up half way along the final day's walking if we were unable to manage it. Delicious evening meal, lovely woom with bath and shower, view of wild deer outside and a great evening's sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lauraisinlondon
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I had not made a booking in March 2013 as it was a long hike down the Pennine Way from Kirk Yetholm. My plans went wrong when it got too dark to see where I was going abouta mile or so north of Byrness, so by the time I reached Byrness forest I had strayed into a bog,climbed down a cliff and was wet & filthy. Eventually I found the A68 through the dense forest and rang the hotel. They came out and collected me (no extra charge) and I happily sat down in the dining room in front of the fire with a beer and evening meal very happily.
The room was not en-suite but included some challenges (mattress, TV, kettle and phone charging). I am assured they were being fixed the following week.
All this was forgotten as the following morning over a hearty breakfast, my clothes were washed and my shoes dried out and I was able to continue my walk south to Bellingham.
It is a pity that there are so few facilities in Byrness. For this reason I would recommend this hotel for just being there-Its all about Location. The Pennine way through the Northumberland forest and over the Cheviots is rugged, hard and unique and I would not have missed it for the world. But it is also poorly maintained/signposted and the local knowledge from the hotel is valuable.
Thank you Catherine & I will be back!

Room Tip: Take your pick
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Systemeng08
Moray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I spent two nights here whilst walking the Pennine Way. I wasn't sure what to expect, having read a negative review back in 2011, but from my arrival to the moment I left I was utterly delighted with my experience here. I can wholeheartedly recommend staying here and this was actually my favourite accommodation in 16 nights on the Pennine Way.

On arrival (both days I stayed), I was treated to fresh coffee and cake in a comfortable chair in front of a crackling wood fire. It can't be underestimated how comforting that is to someone who has walked many miles, often in adverse weather! I was given an immaculately clean and well furnished double room with an ensuite, which had a huge bathtub with shower over. Everything appeared to have been tastefully renovated but it kept all of the traditional charm and history of the building. The bed linens and furnishings were of the highest quality.

The atmosphere of the hotel was peaceful and welcoming. Katie, the owner, was friendly and hospitable, and she was responsive to whatever I needed. I enjoyed two evenings in front of the fire, having a few drinks and chatting with the other guests and enjoying a tasty dinner (there were a range of meals on offer). I particularly liked hearing from Katie about the history of the building and about the geese that she cares for (which could be seen wandering by outside the window). There's a peace about this place that was just what I needed at this stage of the Pennine Way, as I was contemplating my accomplishment of the end of the walk.

I used Katie's service for walkers to be collected at the halfway point at Trows, then brought back the next morning to continue on. I was pleased that Katie was flexible to come collect me whenever I was ready (for me, I was ready at Trows by 3.30pm) and dropped me off the next morning at whatever time was most convenient for me (I wanted an early start and this was readily agreed). Breakfast was cooked very well and I particularly enjoyed the "proper" slow-cooked porridge, which set me up for the day. Overall a lovely two nights' stay.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank fiona07

Been to The Byrness Hotel? Share your experiences!