“An oasis of civilization”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glacier View
Majestic Valley Wilderness Lodge
Reviewed 21 July 2012

The ambiance, service and food at Majestic Valley are top-notch. The owners of Majestic Valley Lodge are to be congratulated for hiring a fabulous young couple to manage their facility. When I called to make reservations, I was treated with genuine warmth and hospitality. I explained that our rafting trip had been kicked back from morning to afternoon, and we’d need to check in early if possible, grab some food, and then drive back down the Glenn for our rafting trip. I was told no problem, and they’d have a sack lunch for us.

Despite checking their website, we were not sure what to expect, but the lodge is an incredibly beautiful log structure, well-maintained inside and out, in a gorgeous valley off the main road. A big friendly dog ambled up to our car, and we found the hostess in the big commercial kitchen. This gal was born to host but is taking a break from college back east. She had a warm greeting and two bag lunches with our names on them, like the kind of lunch you wish mom had made for you back in school: turkey and crisp bacon sandwiches, homemade shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate and dusted with pistachio, chips, a big orange, some trail mix and a cup of fresh penne pasta salad. We ate outside on the grounds and that simple meal was so nice.

Our room in the main lodge had been recently updated: granite countertop on the bathroom vanity, radiant heat in the flooring, two massive beds very high off the floor (that was a little funny), Dish TV with limited channels, and a nice shared common area with coffee pot and use of fridge.

After an afternoon of white-water rafting nearby, dinner was as good as we’d hoped. The chef (and husband of our friendly hostess), prepared a meal that kicked the butt of anything I’ve had at the better restaurants in downtown Anchorage, and also from my years of living in other cities in other states... The Copper River salmon was perfectly prepared, with a crusty glaze and side of the most perfectly dente asparagus and snap peas I’ve ever had. Mashed potatoes and the veggies had a most perfect garlic butter sauce. Creamy cheesecake made just that afternoon for dessert, all served in the main hall with views of the valley and mountains. They made a big fire in the fire pit after dinner, where a few guests gathered to enjoy the evening.

There are two cabins on the grounds, and a bunkhouse (the original lodge) with its own common area. The bunkhouse was older but charming, and the cabins have a split set-up so that the beds are separated by the bathroom. And yay to indoor plumbing (each accommodation has its own private bathroom). Breakfast was also good, and the huge porch was a nice place to sit in the morning sun. Sorry we could not stay for halibut dinner that night. We’d return again anytime, and now prefer this establishment to Alyeska Hotel for a short out-of-Anchorage overnight (or more) trip.

True, they don’t use room keys, but you’re in the wilds of Alaska; your stuff is safe. There are a number of trails, rafting, glacier hikes, and so forth in the area, plus a landing strip next door (quiet the entire time we were there).

Room Tip: The lodge rooms are fancier and newer and you can take an inside staircase to the main hall for dini...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank CrowdAvoidance

Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. The hilights are the friendly service, great views,and good food. The main building is beautiful but the room I stayed in was very basic.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank egjeg
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This full service lodge has bunkhouses, cabins, common lodge dining area, wifi, meals and a great staff. It's located east of Anchorage and situated on a hillside over looking an incredible valley.
We stayed in a cabin which had a queen and a dbl. The summer night is not blocked by the white blinds.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank DuffelBag
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed one night in room with the king bed in the ground level of the lodge. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We did not eat at the lodge. They have a dining hall which requires you to commit to a certain time and meal. Because we were traveling from Girdwood, we could not commit to set time. The dining hall is on the 2nd level, but we did not hear any noise or footsteps from the dining hall. The dining hall was impressive with high ceilings and many windows. I wished we could have eaten there.
The room has some quirks. The king bed was four feet off of the ground. This required my wife to use the stool that is furnished in the room. You are furnished one face cloth and towell per person which was not a big deal , but not the norm. They must have planned for a queen bed because the light switches for the lights above the bed were behind the head board. It took us a few minutes to locate these.
The one thing I did not like was that no key to the room was provided. We were the only people staying in the lodge area, but the ground level lodge area had two exterior doors. There are no lodge personnel on the first floor, so I was a little concerned about the security of our belongings while we were away for dinner. The next morning while loading the car, we locked ourselves our of the room. It took awhile to get someone to come unlock the door.

The lodge has a great view of a valley. If I was furnished a room key, I would stay here again. My wife could tolerate the high bed. If they still stick to the no room key policy then I would look elsewhere even though I gave this a Very Good rating.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I led a group of Alaskans driving their vintage automobiles from Fairbanks to Seward and return. We held our celebratory banquet at this lodge and were treated like royalty. The food and service were excellent. We stayed in their Great Hall as the rooms were less expensive and the hall had a large meeting area that served our group well.

The lodge is large and spactacular. It is the most beautiful log structure this 49 year resident of Alaska has ever seen. It's a magnificant structure that is capable of hosting individuals to very large groups in style and comfort. The log work and finish are the best I've ever seen.

I have also stayed in the lodge's rooms before and found them superb. The staff, lodge and setting are wonderful. Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Scott G
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We loved it! Indeed a majestic view. Fantastic home made breakfast and super friendly staff. Definitely a place to return to.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Theloesen
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I had a reservation at Majestic Valley but I arrived late (around midnight). There was nobody there to check me in. I called their phone number several times and nobody answered. It was very dark and I had to find my way around the property with flashlight. One of the main doors was unlocked so I let myself in and found an open room (also unlocked) to spend the night in. The room was comfortable but the heat was off, so it was pretty chilly. In the morning, I went into the restaurant and paid for my room. I think I could have come and gone without anyone even noticing!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 1 July 2012

We apologize for the confusion you experienced. We recommend to our guests that if you are expecting an arrival after 10 PM, to please notify us in advance so that we can make sure to accommodate you. We pride ourselves in offering excellent service and a relaxing experience for our guests.

Been to Majestic Valley Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!