First, some advice about the Punta del Este/La Barra/Jose Ignacio area in general. It is super expensive, so be prepared, and don't go if you aren't prepared to spend 2 to 3 times for food and hotels as you would at upscale Caribbean resorts. To put it in perspective, St. Barts is often cheaper than this area, and St Barts offers much better hotels and restaurants.
That said, Mantra Resort is very nice, with an accommodating staff, nice lobby bar (service slow here), well-appointed rooms (we stayed in a one bedroom suite with a large veranda, super nice), best pool area in Punta del Este, excellent gym with indoor pool, good spa, and a separate beach club that rocks in season. Be aware that the hotel is not on the beach, and not really that close, it's a long walk, or short car ride. And for sure, you MUST rent a car for a trip to this area, and to this hotel, or you won't be able to enjoy getting around. Taxis are not convenient and very expensive. One of the bell staff proved to be a great guy, and gave us many good recommendations for restaurants, including Lo de Tere, which was the best seafood we ate in Punta...but also try Lo de Charlie for lunch. If you don't speak Spanish you can get by, but you'll learn a lot more and get more inside info if you can speak Spanish. USD are accepted everywhere, as are AR pesos and Brazilian Reales, so you don't have to exchange anything for local currency unless you want to (you will receive change in local currency when paying in foreign currency). Does help to have some small Uruguay currency for toll roads if you drive up north to La Paloma or La Pedrera or Punta Diablo. This is a great drive, beautiful ocean scenery, old lighthouses, and you can spend the day at various white sand beaches plus have lunch along the way.
So Mantra is a good base, very nice, but you're paying top dollar, what you would pay in St. Barts, or more, for an experience that is less than that.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Punta Del Este Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Resort Spa And Casino
- Mantra Hotel La Barra
- Mantra Hotel Punta Del Este
- Mantra Resort Punta Del Este
- Punta Del Este Resort & Spa Uruguay/La Barra