“Excellent evening dinner- very good service!”

and 1 more site!
The Red Lion Pub & Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 2 Blewbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We had a late evening meal at The Red Lion after a busy day on a Friday. We were accommodated in the dining room without a reservation and it was quite busy.

Initially I was very disappointed with menu as it doesn't really cater for vegetarians. However they had a frittata on the specials board so I went with this.

To start I ordered the only veg option - Brie on soda bread and my other half had the Mediterranean platter. The Brie was delicious!

Our mains were both from the specials board, frittata with rocket (side of new potatoes) and my other half had the lamb cutlets and veg.

The frittata was the best I have eaten, so tasty and filling. Certainly made up for the lack of veggie options!

My other half said the meat on the cutlets was excellent and very tender. He could've eaten it all again!

We branched out and had pudding too, bread pudding and the warm choc brownie. Both very yummy and worth squashing in!

The service throughout was very good, both waitress' very polite and attentive but without crowding/pestering you.

My only criticism is the menu could be a little more extensive and cater more for veggies. However- we thoroughly enjoyed our meal!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank KayG03

Reviewed 11 June 2014

As an impromptu change of plan had me travelling between Bampton and Basildon Park, I was desperately searching for somewhere nice for lunch. I took a gamble, drove by american cousins into the village of Blewbury, and was served a delightful lunch which only served to impress my friends further. Would I go back to the Red Lion? You bet!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jollygoodtours
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We are always looking for nice places to eat, we have had lunches here before, and we have been under whelmed, but now they have a new landlord & chef, and today the chef has excelled himself! We had a special menu just for us, great choices, and we had pre -ordered. we received a warm welcome from Bob & Susan, there was a spotlessly clean dining room, and everything was totally delicious, well cooked, and well presented, plates were piping hot as necessary, the service was marvelous, we were all delighted, a very rare thing for us! Thank you all very much, we shall return!

Room Tip: We didnt stay, so cant comment, but have heard good reviews from others.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mrsgoggins2014
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Visited this pub with friends in the hope that they were doing meals on Easter Monday. To our surprise they were.
The atmosphere was warm and friendly, the beer was good and the food outstanding. Thanks very much.
( didn't use the accomodation so no comment on that aspect of the pub)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Richard E
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I recall visiting here a couple of years ago and the food was great.
This time I had planned to have lunch at the Sweet Olive but it was closed for refurbishment. What a difference a couple of years can make. Cold and unwelcoming with a very basic menu and the food didn't surprise when it arrived.

Still, at least it's off the list so the mistake won't happen again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Had a lovely evening in a very small local pub in which the service was really good and the food and drink was very good at a decent price I will be back as I do not think you can get better than a good pint and a lovely open fire And a good old friendly landlord

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 15 February 2014

What a joke! Cold pub, even though there was a fire that did little more than fill the bar with smoke. Indifferent service. Steak and ale pie like lumps of rubber in a grey sauce. Battered haddock was limp, batter soggy. Couldn't even get the frozen peas right. Little bullets. They obviously don't want you to eat the peas as impossible to get more than 3 peas on the toddler sized cutlery. Travelled some distance on the strength of reviews. Do we live on the same planet?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Been to The Red Lion Pub & Kitchen? Share your experiences!