“Lovely Home cooked food”
Review of The Fat Fox Inn

The Fat Fox Inn
Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Watlington
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely Home cooked food”
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

There were 8 of us (inc 2 children) and We ate here for my farther in laws 70th birthday. It's a very nice looking pub with beer garden and parking, but be careful or you will miss the turn for it.

The menu had a good choice for each course as it was a Christmas menu. I had pate to start with chutney and toast all of which was home made and just lovely. The roast turkey with all the trimmings was also just as nice, hot and very well presented. The chocolate pot was just lovely and the panna cotta & sorbet looked very nice too.
There wasn't a child's menu but they said they could do smaller portions of what the children wanted. The burgers were still big, but who doesn't like a big burger.

We all sat in the dining room but you can sit and eat in the bat area aswell. The only negative I have is that it was a little cold in the dining room and the radiators were not on.

We all enjoyed the food here and would definitely return to try the regular menu.

Visited December 2013

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“No!”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Hideous experience. I know it is difficult to celebrate a birthday at Christmas, because it is something I do every year. But to turn up for a birthday meal and they had:
1 lost the booking
2 about to put a small table of 3 in a room heaving with Christmas revellers
3 then place you in the pub lounge by a draughty door
4 give you an uninspiring menu. Come on guys the starters had three choices which included soda bread and chutney! That's just lazy.
5 be told that as they weren't expecting us there could be a long wait for our meals.

We paid for our drinks and left. We won't be back. Shame as we are so local

ox495bu, Owner at The Fat Fox Inn, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear sassyb672,

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience on Friday night. I was appalled to read that we had no record of your booking. (I would be grateful if you could let me know when the table was booked and in what name, so that I can take measures to ensure that staff record reservations correctly.) As you will have seen we were fully booked in our dining room.

We do serve homemade soda bread with several of our starters because I think that it works. On the night in question there were 8 starters of which the Brixham crab, smoked potted mackerel and home made country pate were served with our own soda bread.

We warned you that your dinner may take longer then usual as a matter of honesty and good practice.

Most importantly I am very sorry to have spoiled your birthday dinner and I am saddened that you will not give us a second chance.

with kind regards, John
London
“Tasty lunch, OK service”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stopped for lunch after a long walk around the local countryside. Very nice bar area with open fires roaring and pleasant separate restaurant (where we sat). While the standard pub offerings were all on the menu more interesting was the specials menu which seems to change frequently. Each of the dishes we ordered was excellent (especially the really lovely carrot and thyme soup), and we even got a free bonus crispy fried poached egg due to a mixup in the kitchen! The staff were very friendly, and although service wasn't quite perfect (had to wait a while for menus and our drinks at the start, and I decided just to go to the bar to pay at the end to avoid waiting) the food arrived promptly. The emphasis in the kitchen is clearly on fresh, locally sourced ingredients, and some dishes were pretty inventive; all were clearly prepared from scratch. Overall we were impressed, and surprised that it wasn't busier on a Saturday lunchtime. Some reviewers have suggested that it is expensive at £10-15 for a main, but you get what you pay for and the quality is high, not a standard boring gastropub.

• Visited November 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“great local food”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We went for the first time one evening and was very surprised at what I found. Outside looks a rather run of the mill pub but inside is a bit of a gem. It is quirky in decoration (landlord - please get rid of the orange carpet in the main bar though) and very homely. The menu was lovely and everything we ordered was home made. The landlord was very helpful and a nice chatty chap. There even appeared to be a local council meeting going on in one of the rooms. For really good food and a local atmosphere I'd highly recommend here.

• Visited August 2013
Nottingham
“Disappointing food in welcoming pleasant surroundings”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We pulled in for lunch to break our journey. We thought the menu prices were high for lunchtime but having ordered fish and chips (£12) and Cumberland sausage and mash (£12) from very pleasant bar staff, we settled back to wait for our food. It arrived after only a short wait. I was most displeased to find my fish was limp and floppy, looking most unappetising, and the 'chips' were overcooked pieces of new potato where some "chips" were just a hard frazzled outer with no centre - and a small quantity. I was hungry so I ate the food but actually would have preferred to send it back. The small portion of tartare sauce was nice and chunky but the salad leaves garnish was inappropriate - a small dollop of mushy peas would have been more fitting.

My co-diner remarked that the Cumberland sausage was too peppery and the accompanying mash was mush. Portion size was adequate but not generous

Disappointing - and a shame as the surroundings were nice and relaxed yet smart and the staff very pleasant.

• Visited October 2013
ox495bu, Owner at The Fat Fox Inn, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear guest, I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the dishes we served you. We pride ourselves on serving fresh food sourced locally where possible.
The fish and chips you mentioned; the fish is fresh from Brixham Harbour, not frozen and the batter is made using Brakspears Bitter. The hand cut chips are grown locally and their size is determined by the size of the potatoes that are delivered to us. I will however check that both the chips & the fish for their quality. Regarding mushy peas I used to serve them however the majority of our guests asked for salad instead. As a northerner, I can say I guess that's the North / South divide!
Likewise I was sorry to hear that your guest didn't appreciate our sausage and mash. The sausages are made by the Britwell farm shop from pork raised on the farm (one mile away), they are Cumberland sausages which are peppery by tradition, I will consider making this clear on the menu. The mash potatoes are pomme puree style which we make by baking potatoes, scooping out the flesh, passing it through a fine sieve and finally adding butter and cream.
Thank you for taking the time to write I will continue to review the food that we serve. I am pleased that the team at the Fox made you feel welcome.