“Nice pub, difficult to get food”
Review of The Fat Fox Inn

The Fat Fox Inn
Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Watlington
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I stopped by here with 3 friends between Christmas and new year. We successfully found a couple of sofa and had a few drinks. We wanted dinner, made 3 seperate requests to see some menus over about 40 mins, none materialised and so we left in the end. It was livening up but it wasn't busy, shame, it's a nice little pub.

There are newer reviews for The Fat Fox Inn

Reviewed 2 January 2014

There were 8 of us (inc 2 children) and We ate here for my farther in laws 70th birthday. It's a very nice looking pub with beer garden and parking, but be careful or you will miss the turn for it.

The menu had a good choice for each course as it was a Christmas menu. I had pate to start with chutney and toast all of which was home made and just lovely. The roast turkey with all the trimmings was also just as nice, hot and very well presented. The chocolate pot was just lovely and the panna cotta & sorbet looked very nice too.
There wasn't a child's menu but they said they could do smaller portions of what the children wanted. The burgers were still big, but who doesn't like a big burger.

We all sat in the dining room but you can sit and eat in the bat area aswell. The only negative I have is that it was a little cold in the dining room and the radiators were not on.

We all enjoyed the food here and would definitely return to try the regular menu.

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Hideous experience. I know it is difficult to celebrate a birthday at Christmas, because it is something I do every year. But to turn up for a birthday meal and they had:
1 lost the booking
2 about to put a small table of 3 in a room heaving with Christmas revellers
3 then place you in the pub lounge by a draughty door
4 give you an uninspiring menu. Come on guys the starters had three choices which included soda bread and chutney! That's just lazy.
5 be told that as they weren't expecting us there could be a long wait for our meals.

We paid for our drinks and left. We won't be back. Shame as we are so local

ox495bu, Owner at The Fat Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear sassyb672,

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience on Friday night. I was appalled to read that we had no record of your booking. (I would be grateful if you could let me know when the table was booked and in what name, so that I can take measures to ensure that staff record reservations correctly.) As you will have seen we were fully booked in our dining room.

We do serve homemade soda bread with several of our starters because I think that it works. On the night in question there were 8 starters of which the Brixham crab, smoked potted mackerel and home made country pate were served with our own soda bread.

We warned you that your dinner may take longer then usual as a matter of honesty and good practice.

Most importantly I am very sorry to have spoiled your birthday dinner and I am saddened that you will not give us a second chance.

with kind regards, John

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stopped for lunch after a long walk around the local countryside. Very nice bar area with open fires roaring and pleasant separate restaurant (where we sat). While the standard pub offerings were all on the menu more interesting was the specials menu which seems to change frequently. Each of the dishes we ordered was excellent (especially the really lovely carrot and thyme soup), and we even got a free bonus crispy fried poached egg due to a mixup in the kitchen! The staff were very friendly, and although service wasn't quite perfect (had to wait a while for menus and our drinks at the start, and I decided just to go to the bar to pay at the end to avoid waiting) the food arrived promptly. The emphasis in the kitchen is clearly on fresh, locally sourced ingredients, and some dishes were pretty inventive; all were clearly prepared from scratch. Overall we were impressed, and surprised that it wasn't busier on a Saturday lunchtime. Some reviewers have suggested that it is expensive at £10-15 for a main, but you get what you pay for and the quality is high, not a standard boring gastropub.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We went for the first time one evening and was very surprised at what I found. Outside looks a rather run of the mill pub but inside is a bit of a gem. It is quirky in decoration (landlord - please get rid of the orange carpet in the main bar though) and very homely. The menu was lovely and everything we ordered was home made. The landlord was very helpful and a nice chatty chap. There even appeared to be a local council meeting going on in one of the rooms. For really good food and a local atmosphere I'd highly recommend here.