“Disappointed”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Oxfordshire
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stopped at lunchtime hoping for a sandwich. .the choice being cheese or...cheese. I don't like cheese, ok menu..uninspiring and expensive. I just want good British pub food. So we had a bowl of chips (at £3.50!!!) Which were a small portion with burnt ones hidden. When we commented on the burnt chips..we were just ignored. Wont go back, don't recommend. Shame

• Visited June 2014

St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Just had a two night stay visiting family really cosy pub food to die for, staff warm and welcoming . Room cosy and comfortable . Definitely worth a visit for quaintness and service

1 Thank Tagbacon
London, United Kingdom
“Nice pub, difficult to get food”
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I stopped by here with 3 friends between Christmas and new year. We successfully found a couple of sofa and had a few drinks. We wanted dinner, made 3 seperate requests to see some menus over about 40 mins, none materialised and so we left in the end. It was livening up but it wasn't busy, shame, it's a nice little pub.

Visited December 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely Home cooked food”
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

There were 8 of us (inc 2 children) and We ate here for my farther in laws 70th birthday. It's a very nice looking pub with beer garden and parking, but be careful or you will miss the turn for it.

The menu had a good choice for each course as it was a Christmas menu. I had pate to start with chutney and toast all of which was home made and just lovely. The roast turkey with all the trimmings was also just as nice, hot and very well presented. The chocolate pot was just lovely and the panna cotta & sorbet looked very nice too.
There wasn't a child's menu but they said they could do smaller portions of what the children wanted. The burgers were still big, but who doesn't like a big burger.

We all sat in the dining room but you can sit and eat in the bat area aswell. The only negative I have is that it was a little cold in the dining room and the radiators were not on.

We all enjoyed the food here and would definitely return to try the regular menu.

Visited December 2013
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“No!”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Hideous experience. I know it is difficult to celebrate a birthday at Christmas, because it is something I do every year. But to turn up for a birthday meal and they had:
1 lost the booking
2 about to put a small table of 3 in a room heaving with Christmas revellers
3 then place you in the pub lounge by a draughty door
4 give you an uninspiring menu. Come on guys the starters had three choices which included soda bread and chutney! That's just lazy.
5 be told that as they weren't expecting us there could be a long wait for our meals.

We paid for our drinks and left. We won't be back. Shame as we are so local

ox495bu, Owner at The Fat Fox Inn, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear sassyb672,

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience on Friday night. I was appalled to read that we had no record of your booking. (I would be grateful if you could let me know when the table was booked and in what name, so that I can take measures to ensure that staff record reservations correctly.) As you will have seen we were fully booked in our dining room.

We do serve homemade soda bread with several of our starters because I think that it works. On the night in question there were 8 starters of which the Brixham crab, smoked potted mackerel and home made country pate were served with our own soda bread.

We warned you that your dinner may take longer then usual as a matter of honesty and good practice.

Most importantly I am very sorry to have spoiled your birthday dinner and I am saddened that you will not give us a second chance.

with kind regards, John