“Not so great”
Review of Fox and Hounds

Fox and Hounds
Reserve with OpenTable
Fox and Hounds is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 12 Restaurants in Watlington
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I hadn't eaten here for a few years but, having been told that changes had taken place and it was much improved, we decided to give it another go. Good welcome from front of house but a less pleasant one from the smell of frying oil that wafted from the open kitchen into the dining room - and the following morning I could still smell it in my clothes as I put them to wash.
The food was a mixed bag - some good, some poor - and the service was grindingly slow. Maybe we hit a bad night and, to be fair it was a ghastly evening weather-wise so perhaps they were short staffed. But whatever the reason we won't be racing back.

OX49_5HL, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Fox & Hounds. I am sorry we did not get everything right on this occasion. Unfortunately, due to the design of our kitchen being open plan we are unable to prevent all smells from exiting the kitchen. We run the extractor fans at all times during service to try and prevent this issue. It is also very dependant on what we have been cooking at the time. On a different day it might have been the wonderful smell of our home made bread.

With regard to the slow service you refer to I can only apologise. On the night in question it was only myself working, considering the rather miserable weather I didn't envisage us getting busy. Having only recently taken over the pub it is all still a learning process so I would be very grateful of you would consider returning at some point in the near future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

nice old pub/restaurant with good choice of food and drink. located on the A4 on the hungerford side of town. very friendly bar staff and food is good value.

1  Thank CraigsdSmith

Thank you for taking the time to review the Fox & Hounds. Given your kind words I'm a little confused as to why you rated us only average?

I look forward to welcoming you back here at the Fox & Hounds.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Mothers Day lunch. Service was so poor even though half empty. The girls serving clearly hadn't been trained properly - didn't clear tables, ask for more drinks, etc. We all had roast beef and all of them were fatty & rock hard. Unpleasant and thoroughly disappointing.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

After a scenic walk we had a tasty lunch to celebrate my daughter's birthday. I had the best burger ever and the rest of the family all loved their various choices, including the young grandsons. Great to know that the beef in my burger was from a local farm as well. The staff were all very friendly and helpful as well.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I visited with the wife on an off chance one lunchtime, the Bar is fairly small and 'quaint' with a very good selection of real ales and a good traditional cider. We decided to eat and chose from the menu, all home cooked so no brake brothers boil in the bag here!

Once our food was ready we headed for the Restaurant which allowed you to see the Chef at work.... Fantastic. I had a 'Dexter' burger and the wife had the 'Dexter' meat pie, needless to say both were fantastic! We will definitely return with friends.... Well done.