“Disappointment.....”
Review of Fox and Hounds

Fox and Hounds
Reserve with OpenTable
Fox and Hounds is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Watlington
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Disappointment.....”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Having arrived for sunday lunch, we were made to stand in a queue for ten minutes to get the barmaids attention before being seated. When seated we were made to wait 35-40 minutes before receiving what can only be described as a lacklustre beef roast. Flat, undercooked Yorkshire puddings, flavourless, unseasoned veg, overcooked beef & bland gravy. This would have beed acceptable if it was cheap, but for £13 you expect a good roast. Overall a truly uninspiring experience.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank vestax32
OX49_5HL, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us and I am sorry to hear you were not happy with your visit on this occasion.

It is clear your roast dinner was not up to our usual standards, consistency is an issue when recruiting new staff. Admittedly, the Yorkshire Puddings were flatter than usual and perhaps we should have served the roast without. I felt a flatter Yorkshire was better than none. Sadly, waiting times at weekends are to some degree par for the course. We are a small pub with limited space that gets very busy with bookings & walk-in trade. I do not feel half an hour is an excessive wait for a main course at peak time.

Had you have expressed your dissatisfaction with the food when asked by myself I would have been all to happy to replace/change your dish. I understand this is not always practicable depending on with whom you are dining. Unfortunately availing me of your disappointment after the event only gives me the opportunity to apologise rather than rectify it. After all, I would much rather you leave happy.

I hope your last visit will not deter you in the future.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Not so great”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I hadn't eaten here for a few years but, having been told that changes had taken place and it was much improved, we decided to give it another go. Good welcome from front of house but a less pleasant one from the smell of frying oil that wafted from the open kitchen into the dining room - and the following morning I could still smell it in my clothes as I put them to wash.
The food was a mixed bag - some good, some poor - and the service was grindingly slow. Maybe we hit a bad night and, to be fair it was a ghastly evening weather-wise so perhaps they were short staffed. But whatever the reason we won't be racing back.

• Visited April 2014
OX49_5HL, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Fox & Hounds. I am sorry we did not get everything right on this occasion. Unfortunately, due to the design of our kitchen being open plan we are unable to prevent all smells from exiting the kitchen. We run the extractor fans at all times during service to try and prevent this issue. It is also very dependant on what we have been cooking at the time. On a different day it might have been the wonderful smell of our home made bread.

With regard to the slow service you refer to I can only apologise. On the night in question it was only myself working, considering the rather miserable weather I didn't envisage us getting busy. Having only recently taken over the pub it is all still a learning process so I would be very grateful of you would consider returning at some point in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
“fox and hounds”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

nice old pub/restaurant with good choice of food and drink. located on the A4 on the hungerford side of town. very friendly bar staff and food is good value.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank CraigsdSmith
OX49_5HL, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Fox & Hounds. Given your kind words I'm a little confused as to why you rated us only average?

I look forward to welcoming you back here at the Fox & Hounds.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Dreadful service and poor food”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Mothers Day lunch. Service was so poor even though half empty. The girls serving clearly hadn't been trained properly - didn't clear tables, ask for more drinks, etc. We all had roast beef and all of them were fatty & rock hard. Unpleasant and thoroughly disappointing.

Reading, England, United Kingdom
“Birthday lunch”
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

After a scenic walk we had a tasty lunch to celebrate my daughter's birthday. I had the best burger ever and the rest of the family all loved their various choices, including the young grandsons. Great to know that the beef in my burger was from a local farm as well. The staff were all very friendly and helpful as well.

Visited March 2014