“Well worth a visit - great country pub”
Review of Fox and Hounds

Fox and Hounds
Reserve with OpenTable
Fox and Hounds is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Watlington
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit - great country pub”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We had avoided the pub due to some poor reviews but our neighbour went and said it was great. I'd have to agree. The place has a lovely 'feel' to it. We arrived with four adults, two children and four dogs. The dogs got biscuits, the children were entranced with the resident parrot and we had some lovely food. The landlady has only been there for around 6 months and I sincerely hope she is given a long lease as she has some real vision for the pub, including live music and widening the menu. If she stays, she definitely has won a few more locals!!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Tracey139

London, United Kingdom
“A great little gem!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Hadn't been here for a couple of years and the pub looks fantastic now! The garden looks beautiful, much better than before - a good place to enjoy a fine Brakspear in the sun. Cosy inside. The staff and the new landlady were really friendly and welcoming, chatting to us before and after our meal. The whole place had a nice relaxed atmosphere like you would expect from a decent country pub. The food was excellent, I had the bacon burger with blue cheese which was a better choice than I'd expected, it turned out to be home made. The kids had the fish and chips which I could tell they really enjoyed because for the first time ever they stopped fidgeting whilst eating their meal, its not the easiest task to find a decent & reasonably priced kids meal in a lot of pubs these days!

All in all a surprisingly enjoyable visit, we only meant to pop in on the way home but if the weather is good this weekend I'll be back over with the family for Sunday lunch.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Leon H
London
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Sunday lunch- advertised as "Sunday roast" which actually means pork or beef! 4 out of 5people had roasts- the meat looked dry and curled up at the edges. The 5th person had fish cakes which were not seasoned and tasted only of potatoes- did someone forget the fish?Awful cauliflower cheese. Chips were excellent as was the sticky toffee pudding. Service was poor- the staff really had no idea what was sold out from the menu and kept having to run off and ask for confirmation. Oh and we were one of the first people to be served- so the food was never in the menu to start with.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Caketom
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Disappointment.....”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Having arrived for sunday lunch, we were made to stand in a queue for ten minutes to get the barmaids attention before being seated. When seated we were made to wait 35-40 minutes before receiving what can only be described as a lacklustre beef roast. Flat, undercooked Yorkshire puddings, flavourless, unseasoned veg, overcooked beef & bland gravy. This would have beed acceptable if it was cheap, but for £13 you expect a good roast. Overall a truly uninspiring experience.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank vestax32
OX49_5HL, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us and I am sorry to hear you were not happy with your visit on this occasion.

It is clear your roast dinner was not up to our usual standards, consistency is an issue when recruiting new staff. Admittedly, the Yorkshire Puddings were flatter than usual and perhaps we should have served the roast without. I felt a flatter Yorkshire was better than none. Sadly, waiting times at weekends are to some degree par for the course. We are a small pub with limited space that gets very busy with bookings & walk-in trade. I do not feel half an hour is an excessive wait for a main course at peak time.

Had you have expressed your dissatisfaction with the food when asked by myself I would have been all to happy to replace/change your dish. I understand this is not always practicable depending on with whom you are dining. Unfortunately availing me of your disappointment after the event only gives me the opportunity to apologise rather than rectify it. After all, I would much rather you leave happy.

I hope your last visit will not deter you in the future.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Not so great”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I hadn't eaten here for a few years but, having been told that changes had taken place and it was much improved, we decided to give it another go. Good welcome from front of house but a less pleasant one from the smell of frying oil that wafted from the open kitchen into the dining room - and the following morning I could still smell it in my clothes as I put them to wash.
The food was a mixed bag - some good, some poor - and the service was grindingly slow. Maybe we hit a bad night and, to be fair it was a ghastly evening weather-wise so perhaps they were short staffed. But whatever the reason we won't be racing back.

• Visited April 2014
OX49_5HL, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Fox & Hounds. I am sorry we did not get everything right on this occasion. Unfortunately, due to the design of our kitchen being open plan we are unable to prevent all smells from exiting the kitchen. We run the extractor fans at all times during service to try and prevent this issue. It is also very dependant on what we have been cooking at the time. On a different day it might have been the wonderful smell of our home made bread.

With regard to the slow service you refer to I can only apologise. On the night in question it was only myself working, considering the rather miserable weather I didn't envisage us getting busy. Having only recently taken over the pub it is all still a learning process so I would be very grateful of you would consider returning at some point in the near future.