“Excellent food - shame it's gone! :(”
Review of The Spice Guru - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Spice Guru
Cuisines: Indian
Chalgrove, United Kingdom
“Excellent food - shame it's gone! :(”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The Spice Guru was an excellent restaurant in the heart of Watlington, and served superb food. Despite this, due to increased costs and lack of weekday trade, it has now closed down. If you went there before it closed, you know how good it was. If you didn't - sorry, you've missed out!

• Visited October 2013

Lancashire
“Great food, weird service!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My Godmother had been raving about the 'other' indian in Watlington so we set off only to find it had shut down. We ended up here. I'm from the North of England and I must admit I found the prices a bit daunting. Having said that the food was good. Fresh ingredients and plenty of it. The service was strange. If anything they were over attentive, moving dishes away too soon, if you put a spoon down someone tried to take the dish away... it was like fighting to keep your food (anyone who knows me knows that trying to take my food is a brave move). The staff were also strangely unsmiling. Not rude, not unpleasant just a bit strange. However the food was good. I'm used to paying around £7 or 8 quid for a main course around Manchester, these prices were more on the £10 - 12 side, but that might be normal for round Oxfordshire. It was quite busy for a Tuesday night so that's a good sign. I would go again, I just wish they'd lighten up and smile a bit more! Maybe the over attentive service was a result of other reviewers saying the service was bad!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Tillagirl
Oxford UK
“Fantastic Place”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Yes the service can be a bit slapdash but I challengeyou to get better 2Indian" food this side of Birmingham. Eat in or take away we have never been disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
Southern England
“Good food, shocking service.”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Delivery service is shocking, always something wrong. Today he naan was forgotten, they offered to send a new one in 40 minutes...funnily enough I don't want to wait while the rest if my dinner goes cold. The food is good but not good enough...we give up!

• Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Take Away Test”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We recently moved in to the area and were advised that this restaruant was worth a try. We ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala as we use this dish to gauge how good the restaurant is, if you get this wrong we would not try anything else on the menu. We also gave the spicy potatoes a try in the absense of Sag Aloo

This was hands down the worst curry we ever had the misfortune of eating. The Chichen Tikka Masala strangely enough had coconut in the sauce??? Only five pieces of chicken in each of the large dishes. As for the potatoes they were totally tasteless, with no hint of any spice being used.

If this is the best thay can do, we will be making our own from now on! My advise give this place a wide berth.

• Visited May 2013