My girlfriend and I stayed in the Fox and Hounds while walking the Ridgeway Path.
The rooms are in a separate building about 100 metres behind the pub. We arrived to check in before the pub had actually opened, but the landlord appeared from the back door and showed us to our room. The rooms being separate from the pub is good for peace and quiet, although some slight noise does carry from other guests' rooms.
The bedroom was large and the bed comfortable. It was a chilly, clear day outside and the room was well heated by both a portable electric fire and gas central heating. The bathroom had a good shower, over a decent-sized bath. The hot water was plentiful.
We had a nice pint in the bar, but didn't eat there (although the pizzas sounded good). The inn is close to a good curry restaurant, the co-op (where we bought sandwiches for the next day of our walk) and other pubs.
At £48 per night, it is perfect for walkers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fat Fox Inn, formerly the Fox and Hounds, is a country pub with dining and accommodation in the village of Watlington on the northern edge of the Chilterns in Oxfordshire. The pub is easily accessed from the M40 at Lewknor. Watlington is only 15 miles from the heart of the City of Oxford and 35 minutes from Blenheim Palace and the Oxfordshire Cotswolds, as well as the Thameside town of Henley on Thames, home of the Royal Regatta. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Book Direct Rooms and LateRooms so you can book your The Fat Fox Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fat Fox Hotel Watlington
- The Fat Fox Inn Watlington, Oxfordshire