“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Adderbury
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I feel quite sad having to write this review. We stayed here a few years ago and it was lovely. The pub was run by a real old-school publican who loved to talk about beer and kept a gorgeous pint of Hook Norton bitter. So on a return visit to the UK we booked in here again. And what a disappointment. The pub has changed hands and gone down hill badly. We arrived on a Sunday and the food option was Sunday roast - which did not suit us at all. Fair to say we were offered a menu and chose some Thai food. It really was the worst Thai food I have ever tasted- we could not finish it - and we are not new to Thai food, having travelled extensively there and eaten in Thai restaurants the world over. It was impossible to sleep in our room due to some incessant humming. the owners could not solve the problem. But eventually I had to turn off our heating to get some peace and quiet. The owners though are very helpful and pleasant - but the pub is a shadow of its former self.

1  Thank swedensm

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We visited this pub-cum-Thai restaurant as a party of 8 on a Saturday night, we were the only customers! Though the food was fine, and clearly freshly cooked, the speed of service was glacial, with the main courses taking so long to arrive that the vegetarian in our party was left waiting for half an hour after the first main course had been brought out.

Unfortunately meals out are not just about food, atmosphere and service are also very important and though the owners clearly want to get it right, the lack of custom is a clear indication that something is wrong. The other two pubs in the village were both heaving, we'd left the Coach and Horses earlier and we're staying at the Red Lion.

The men's loos were also disgusting and unacceptable for any establishment serving food.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

The Bell Inn was recommended by several locals as a place to try for something to eat.
The village inn is unpretentious and appears to be standard fare when you walk in, but then you see the menu and it is obviously not standard pub fare.
Authentic thai curries and noodle dishes to choose from, all of them equally delicious and generous portions too! Hot means hot and the red curry lived up to the name - well worth a visit to try something different with your pint.

1  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 16 April 2013

You will be very pleasantly suprised at how delicious the food is here. The best Thai Curry I have had for years. Thank you.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

As my mum lives in Adderbury, I have been coming to this pub for a while. It has recently had new owners, and, while the beer has always been fantastic, the food could be a little bit ropey. The new owner, Hugo, and his wife have transformed the menu, with a specific focus on food from the far east, specifically Thai food. My mum's husband organised a surprise 60th for my mum, and asked Hugo to host it. As I now live in Melton Mowbray, we stayed in the rooms above the pub for the weekend. The rooms are lovely, with comfortable duvets and clean bathrooms. The party itself was fantastic, with 26 people catered for. I had panko wrapped jumbo prawns, that were actually jumbo prawns, followed by Pad Thai Goong Gai, which was the first time in this country that I'd seen dried shrimp in Pad Thai, which was all the better for it. The dinner was excellent, and then the party lasted until 4 in the morning. At no point were we ushered away to bed, and it was one of the best nights I have had in a long time. In the morning, we had a full English which again was excellent, with locally sourced sausages and bacon. In conclusion, I look forward to my next visit, and my mum and all the family and friends had an excellent night courtesy of the Bell.

2  Thank Tom M