“NEW YEARS EVE - Adderbury” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Lion Hotel

Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Adderbury
Southampton
“NEW YEARS EVE - Adderbury”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Firstly I have to congratulate the 'minimal' staff working over the New Year period. They worked long and hard to do their very best for the customers - well done guys !. Now as for the condition of the hotel - it feels very 'unloved ! The room though comfortable size and obviously a recently refurbished bathroom and very nice to look at the shower was pathetic - i'd have got wetter by going outside ! Having booked a New Year break with Dinner B&B we only actually got dinner on 30th as NEW YEAR changed to a buffet........as buffets go it was pretty poor and I do not feel this is the fault of the staff and my moan is aimed at HIGHER MANAGEMENT who do not seem to be able to look after the staff they have or give them the tools to work with. Sad to say though the staff were great in particular Claudia, as a party of 10 we will not be returning and in fact after 7 new years spent at Old English Inns we will not be giving Greene King anymore of our hard earned cash

Room Tip: Check which room in advance - some are extremely small ! All showers seem to need looking at !
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jacky G
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
I am sorry to here that we didn't meet your expecting this year at the Red lion. We will be looking into the issues you have raised & will look at doing things differently next year as clearly the buffet option didn't work well at the hotel this year. However I am glad to here you feel the staff are great & will pass on your feed back

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
LONDON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have wanted to stay here for a while as my parents live in the area. But this was the first time I managed to get a room!
Stayed over Christmas and booked a single room. Usually that means being consigned to a box room with a single bed, but at the Red Lion I was delighted to find a small double bed in a quiet room with plenty of room. A small staircase led up to a mezzanine level bathroom - massive -with a delightful rolltop bath in the middle. I was on my own so this arrangement was perfect. Though I suspect lack of privacy might be an issue if there were 2 people as the toilet is effectively in your bedroom. Still, as I say, this was a lovely quirky arrangement and I did enjoy a luxurious bath!
Breakfast was really good. I only wanted fruit and cereal but there is a full menu of cooked breakfasts. Served in a charming dining room which combines old English charm with a modern country feel. Service is friendly and not in your face.
I didn't drink in the pub and I didn't have any other meals there, but the atmosphere seemed really nice.
The pub is situated on the main road opposite the village green. I have known Adderbury for years and it is still a lovely village with plenty of nice walks to be had. I would definitely return if I can get a booking! It seems very popular and I would say deservedly.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room at the back away from the main road.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
It is good to here that you feel the places has lots of charm & was good value & we will look forward to seeing you again soon if you are in the area
Bracknell, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

First of all we were a place short on our table of 13. We were told they had supply issues and some of us could not have the meals we had to pre-book at the start of Dec but looking at the menu those meals were not on there so clearly the menu had been changed. The white wine was far too warm. A couple of us didn't get our sides the way we asked for them for example no pomegranate in a salad. I asked for a medium ribeye steak after my pre-booked choice was unavailable this came out well done and pretty tasteless and was for sure the worst ribeye steak I have ever eaten. Most of the staff that served us were very polite bar one lady who was a bit grumpy and definitely seemed like she would rather be elsewhere. All in all pretty poor experience wouldn't recommend won't be going back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am disappointed to here that your post Christmas family meal didn't meet our normal standard & am sorry to here that you will not be coming back. But do hope that you might change you mind & give us a 2nd go
Banbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Good food and in a pleasant atmosphere. Old world pub and restaurant serving food that is more homely than 3 star. Prices are good - and you should not be disappointed. Early meals attract a great discount. Fish and chips are great!

1 Thank Colin G
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I am glad to here that you feel the Red Lion has Good food and in a pleasant atmosphere. We also happy to hear that your Fish and chips are great
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

to all fellow tripadvisors.

We stayed at the Red Lion on the 17th of October for 3 Nights. Great Location for Oxford or Banbury and Bicester. the staff are very friendly staff couldn't do enough for you. Food was
very nice couldn't fault it. Jack makes a great Mojito. accommodation very clean and spacious
cleaned everyday maid very friendly, we actually stayed in one of the mezzanine suites which was very nice but the walls were very thin. The actual pub is really quaint, i would defiantly stay here again.

i hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susiebears
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
I am glad to here to have a lovely weekend and would like to Thank you for your great comments hope we get the opportunity to host you again soon.
oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

We often stop off at the Red Lion on week days as the bar food is good and they have very good offers (two main meals for £10). The Red Lion is an attractive old coaching inn with cozy public rooms and an open fire in winter. Food is good 'pub grub' and service is friendly and efficient.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your comments, we are really glad you enjoyed your meals. We aim to offer great value dining to all our customers
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

really enjoyed our stay stayed in room 1, arrived around 8:45pm after travelling down from somerset greeted by very welcoming staff and check in was very easy.

Room was clean if I am totally honest not my sort of style very old fashioned could do with a little updating and the bathroom had a shower but not on a bracket on the wall, little disappointed in this but was only there for a quick stay as we were off again early so did not raise with staff.

Had a good nights sleep.

very nice breakfast could not fault and hot fluffy pastries at 7am.
staff all very friendly.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your comments, we have a geat team here at the Red Lion & always appreciated when someone takes the time to leave feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adderbury
Deddington Arms Hotel
Cromwell Lodge
#7 of 10 in Banbury
Premier Inn Banbury (M40, J11) Hotel
BEST WESTERN Banbury House Hotel

Been to Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!