“Sunday lunch”

Price range: US$16 - US$34
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Crown Inn is a traditional country pub set in the heart of a beautiful Oxfordshire village. Serving award winning ales, wines & spirits alongside mouth-watering freshly cooked food for lunch & dinner each day. Join us for a hearty meal or simply pop in for a pint - the team are committed to providing a warm welcome and a great experience to all our guests. The Crown Inn recently underwent extensive renovation and reopened under new management in October 2016.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were returning home to Oxfordshire from Sandy in Bedfordshire and thought we'd try The Crown Inn as it was around 1pm on Sunday afternoon and we didn't fancy cooking when we got home. We sat outside because we had our dog with us and ordered from the Sunday lunch menu. Although not a lot of choices for vegetarians (both of us), my partner had the pasta and I asked if I could have the Sunday roast without the meat and with cauliflower cheese for the sauce (usually the gravy is made with the meat juices). Both meals were excellent and very well made. Mains are around £12.50 but I only paid £7.50 for my veggie Sunday lunch.

We followed up with the cheese board at £7.50. Very disappointing. Two small pieces of brie which had seen better days, a little chunk of cheddar and a small dab of blue cheese and unwashed grapes. Not worth the money. Such a shame because it spoiled the rest of the meal.

1  Thank suegalway
There are newer reviews for The Crown Inn

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I took members of my family for a celebration Christmas lunch on 8th December 2014.
We were very well looked after with a super menu enjoyed by all.
We do this every year and several of the party are in their 80's so the little extras like the pre-starters really made our day.
All were agreed that this was the best restaurant (out of 9 or 10) that we had been to.
We will be booking next year without a doubt and many of us will be using The Crown again during the year.

Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

I use to eat on a regular basis at the Crown when the previous tenants ran it.

I heard mixed reviews from friends and have to say I was disappointed from the quality of the beer through to the food. Certainly won't be going back again.

2  Thank Alisdair H
Reviewed 30 November 2013

As a local I had heard mixed reports since the pub was taken on by Caroline and Ollie in the summer, but what a relief, we were greeted by a cosy wood burner and warm smiles, ordered battered cod and chips (chips were crispy and divine) chunky cod. My partner had the venison Wellington which was also lovely. We will definitely be returning soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We decided to stop here, having had a drink in the bar along time ago, to see what it was like for food - a very pretty village and a traditional pub.We had a bowl of mussels each, chips to die for, an excellent pint of Brakepear's (him) and a good Sauvignon Blanc (me). The service was friendly and relaxed. An experience worth repeating and recommending - give it a try! We wish the new owners well!