“Self-catering may be great, but B&B in main house not as good”
Review of Sambrook Manor B&B

Sambrook Manor B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Sambrook Manor B&B
Ranked #4 of 5 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We stopped at Sambrook Manor for one night of B&B to break up a longer journey. We stayed in a room in the main house, with a private bathroom that was not directly attached to our room. There is self-catering accommodation around the courtyard, which I believe is recently renovated, but we stayed in the old, main house rather than those recently renovated bits.

The location is fantastic, as are the views from the windows. Rolling countryside, a river, sheep in the fields, friendly/eccentric local pub (watch out for massive portions when ordering food) etc.

The welcome at Sambrook Manor was reserved rather than friendly (friendliness only appeared when we paid the bill and were heading out the door!), and woe betide anybody who enters the old house wearing their shoes (I don’t have an issue with everybody taking their shoes off, but the order was barked at both us and another, older, couple staying at the same time).

The room that we stayed in was adequate. It had a private bathroom, although accessed via a shared area – slightly inconvenient. The shower head was very low, which was awkward for me, and would be very awkward for anybody taller. The doors between the bedroom and bathroom were also low, with one head well and truly bumped during the night.

Despite the extremely, quiet location, sleep was hard to come by, as the old house was heated beyond a comfortable level for sleeping. Orders had been given not to attempt to adjust anything! This was something the other couple staying at the same time mentioned as well, whilst we were all sitting wrapped in extra layers of clothing trying to keep warm in the cold conservatory where breakfast was served the next morning. The cold was less of an issue as we could put extra layers on, but 3 out of 4 of us had slept badly due to the heat in the rooms, and none of us were overly happy about that.

Other than the location, the breakfast was the highlight. Fresh eggs, tomato, with bacon and sausages from Dave the butcher. Lots of flavour.

I couldn’t make up my mind about cleanliness. The room looked clean enough, but there was a slightly strange smell which led to me stripping the bed to make sure it was ok, and I never felt properly clean until I washed at our next destination. That may have just been the softness of the water, but combined with the odd smell I was glad to have only stayed one night. That might seem a bit harsh, but despite the good food and the ideal location, I really was happy to move on.

The self-catering accommodation around the courtyard presumably provides a better level of comfort, having presumably been converted recently (other reviewers certainly seem to like them, and I have looked jealously at the photographs, which look so much nicer than the room we had). So, please don’t let my comments put anybody off the self-catering accommodation. The main house is adequate for one night, the breakfast is very tasty, but the reception is a bit lacking, the ability to sleep dubious, and accessibility (for anybody with mobility issues) very suspect due to stairs, uneven floors/steps and low shower fitting. Now, if there was B&B accommodation in the bits around the courtyard, with the great breakfast in the main building...

Room Tip: The accommodation around the courtyard looks great. The main house suffers by comparison.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Very nice place and very nicely made cottage. High Standard and very modern in every room of the cottage. Its very clean and perfectly set up with a lot of love. You can feel that Sarah (the owner) does her Job with her heart. Just loved it!
The hosts are very friendly and they helped us very much as one of our sons was ill. They offered us medicin and food. Thank you very much again!
Would definitely recommend this cottage to friends and family.
Thank you Sarah!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank martin o
self_catering51, Owner at Sambrook Manor B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely comments I do hope your son made a quick recovery and you all enjoyed the rest of the stay in the UK. I would love to welcome you back to Sambrook manor anytime.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

The friendliness of the hosts were fabulous. The accommodation was modern, well-equipped and comfortable. With spacious rooms and magic views this place is highly recommended. We loved it for our base for our January wedding. Thanks Sarah!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Very high standard accommodation, large group of us staying for family wedding locally and Sarah was fantastic hostess, helping with everything and so friendly. Very comfy rooms and bathrooms all done to very high standard. Would definitely recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
self_catering51, Owner at Sambrook Manor B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Thank you for your lovley comments, It was lovely to meet you and all your family. I was so pleased the sun shone for your brothers wedding which was lucky considering the summer we have had. I am glad the cottages made and ideal base for you all to enjoy your family weekend.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

If you want an idyllic rural view from your cottage, lots of space to enjoy time with your extended family and a fully equipped cottage, you will not find anywhere more comfortable and relaxing. Why should I tell you this, you will be queuing at the door and I will not be able to return. This is was an ideal location for my family when my daughter was married at the Goldstone Hall hotel. The owner, Sarah was quietly there when we needed any advice and if you need eggs, just ask the children. Even the sheep are very friendly.

Room Tip: Choose between 2 bedrooms with adjoining bathroom with bath and shower, or two bedrooms with a bathr...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Great location with amazing views of the countryside, beautiful, well equipped holiday cottage inside and out. Lots of space even with 8 adults and 6 kids. Lovely, large garden too. Would recommend this place to anyone - Sarah was extremely helpful too! Thanks for an amazing week!

Room Tip: All are great but furthest away from the kitchen on each side are better - especially if you're...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends