“Food good with good service.”
Review of Swan Inn at Forton

Swan Inn at Forton
Ranked #12 of 34 Restaurants in Newport
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have been here a number of times and have always had an acceptable meal. I note the mixed reviews and can only speak as I find. We dined here this week and the food was very good and the service at a high standard. We were made most welcome. We were a party of four all eating something different. Each of us wanted to vary our dishes and the staff were most accommodating. When tables were vacated they were cleared very quickly and reset. I noticed while we were there that other diners were well treated and the dishes all looked good. All in all we were all very satisfied.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

After reading the recent reviews we were a bit hesitant about booking a table but I am extremely glad we did.
We were the first to arrive at the pub as the kitchen didn't open till six but we were eager to order as we had two children under four with our party.
The restaurant manager and the bar staff were welcoming and friendly and took our drinks and food order quickly and efficiently.
Three of us ordered the lamb shank and another the pie of the day 'beef and mushroom' and another ordered the ham and eggs. The waitress was extremely helpful asking if we would prefer if the children's meals were served with the starters. The starters arrived promptly my husband ordering the baked Brie and myself the warm bread and oils. Both were wonderful.
The mains came as soon as we had finished and were equally as good if not better. The lamb was tender and succulent and the pie was crisp and flavoursome. The ham and eggs was also very well executed. Altogether everyone at our table (there were eight of us) thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We even managed to squeeze in a pudding after meals which were as wonderful as the mains. I can't rate this restaurant/pub highly enough. And I hope you will disregard some of the previous reviews as I would thoroughly recommend this establishment.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

went there for Sunday lunch, this is the second time we have been however previously it was under different ownership, this time was as bad as the last so no change. the food was not exceptional and the kitchen found it difficult to keep up the supply to the carvery, just my luck when we got there hardly any veg. overall not a good experience, would recommend you look elsewhere before choosing this restaurant.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The first visit was with friends, we sat in the conservatory, which was very pleasant but on the cool side. The service was good and the food was fine. All of us thought our meals were fine. not earth shattering but fine. No reason not to go back. And go back I did a week later with my daughter and you would have thought it was under completely different management. Service was painfully slow. We both ordered Ham, egg and chips - a fairly safe bet for a mid week tea you would have thought. My eggs were hardly cooked (that slimey, hardly seen a frying pan look), and had to go back to the kitchen. When they came back they were absolutely solid. Not just a bit firm, but more like a hard boiled egg kind of solid, Clearly the 'chef' didn't like food going back into the kitchen! The ham was also very disappointing. it was served warm, but only because it had obviously been plated up and sat in a warm kitchen for some hours. How do I know this with any certainty? Well, here were 3 pieces of ham on each plate, and the ham had that slightly grey look to it (think at the deli when it's been on display too long) around the edges - when you lifted it up, the piece underneath it was pink, but only where the piece on top had covered it. It was the same with bot plates. And the ham was served at something like blood temperature. It hadn't been refrigerated, nor was it served hot, just at warm room temperature. It was so unappetising that we just couldn't eat it. Having already sent mine back to the kitchen once, (and not had a very satisfactory response) we just left them. Not one person actually asked how our meals were, even when clearing away full plates. We were then given pudding menus which were taken away a few minutes later with no-one actually asking if we wanted to order anything. When we asked for the bill, it took nearly half an hour to come. Needless to say we didn't leave a tip - but here's a tip for them now - improve your standards. Have a work with your 'chef' , and refrigerate your cold meats - it's an accident waiting to happen!!.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Have visited here a couple of times. The atmosphere is nice and the staff can be when you engage with them.
The evening we went, nothing on the menu delighted us so we ordered the special. Pie!
We were all So disappointed when a bowl of chicken and runny gravy turned up with a pastry disc that was inedible. Some pieces of chicken were disgusting.
The chips were nice though. So was the rose wine :)