“Cycling Trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Norwood House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We arrived after a long cycle trip, and there was no one at the hotel, and it was all locked up. Eventually someone turned up and opened the hotel and left us on our own. To be fair, I understand they do not usually open on a Sunday.

Rooms, one small with moldy wall in shower. Hot water very slow.

Excellent breakfast and excellent staff at breakfast.

So a mixed bag

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights while working at Telford Theatre and we were all treated incredibly well and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
John was a great host,polite and very friendly. He even kept the bar open a while longer for us as we didn't arrive back until quite late. Having been in hundreds of hotels up and down the country It would surprise you to know how many hotels would not extend you this courtesy.
After a long day It is nice to know you are welcome at your lodgings.
Breakfast was first class! We didn't have a chance to sample the dinner menu due to working hours but I must say It looked fantastic also.
The hotel is situated a bit out of town but this was wonderful as there were clear night skies and zero traffic. We travel with a truck which can sometimes be problematic,but there was ample parking for us here.
Rooms were very comfortable and as warm as you wanted them.Decent TV's in the rooms ( important if you travel with an Xbox !),very clean and great value for money.

I would not hesitate to stay here again on a pleasure basis and It will be the place we will definitely hope to book If we are working nearby in future.

Thanks John,

All the Best from cast and crew!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The good points, the food was first rate and the set meal, excellent value.
I normally know what I want to say when reveiwing, here I'm a little lost when it comes to the service side of things. The gentlemen in charge tried very hard and was fine - if not available when needed. The veg arriving a while after the main course but not so that it spoiled the meal.
The service, dis-jointed is how i would best describe it, but not bad, We had to go in search of somebody in the kitchen come time to pay...On a Saturday night around 9.30pm, We didn't want more drinks, had we have done, who knows??? 'A Marie Celeste experience'

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank julietaylor007
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I could not have been happier with my stay here, bed was comfy, shower was warm and the breakfast was excellent. There is a restaurant attached which doesn't serve food during the week, but I was pointed by the owner (a very helpful guy) at a pub down the road which served excellent food. I stayed there again two weeks later and had the same excellent experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I travel with my collies to training and competing events around the country, and it is difficult to find reasonably priced quality accomodation that accepts dogs. Norwood House Hotel proved to be an excellent find. The owner could not have been more helpful and my stay was comfortable and relaxing. Lovely food served in the restaurant, and residents have the option of 2 courses for £15 which was very reasonable given the quality of the food. Breakfast was first class. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have tried loads of time to speak to someone at Norwood house when making a booking. But it's impossible, it's all done online or via text, not very personnel, when you have booked a table try and ask what the menu will be on day of your dining, I asked yesterday morning and last night bearing in mind we where dining today, never got answer arrived tonight to a completely different menu, but that was only the start of our fine dining experience. Starter of garlic mushrooms, no creamy sauce just greasy and thick oily sauce no homemade bread as stated, soup wasn't what the new menu said it was now leak and potato which had plenty of oil on top and no bread with the soup. Pork main was ok served with mash but had plenty of potatoes and veg to accompany. Lamb main, bit disappointing lamb had a funny taste almost too strong in lamb and I'm a massive lamb lover, sauce was more like marmite than red wine but the mash was nice. Pudding creme brûlée too runny, not homemade shortbread as stated. Pudding lemon tart, lemon tart to sour by far to eat, strawberries where rotten at one end. Glasses on table dirty and stained, tables not cleaned when people left. Felt very rushed, waiting staff not in the best of moods.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cattitudeuk
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Booked into this B&B for 2 nights.
Room was a surprise, black curtains, black carpet, black furniture, black duvet and pillows and if black bathroom suites were available I'm sure that also would have been black.
Only 5 rooms, but the proprietor will vacate his room to give 6 rooms! Walls paper this, one can hear the neighbouring guests! water not very warm but bed comfortable.
We were refused a meal on the second night as the entire restaurant was booked for a wedding so we got no meal and had to go lese where,. Good job to as we found a super much better restaurant 5 minutes walk towards Newport.

We were permitted to eat in the A la Mode Restaurant the first night. On offer on Friday and Saturdays is a so called Champagne 3 Course Meal all for £20 per head. No bad you may think and nether it was.
The food was good, they have a good chef, but the champagne was more akin to a cava or a brut but not what I am used to as Champagne, and even then I had to ask for it and it was only brought after the starter and before the main course. Strange!
If you want a different decor experience then this is the place for you, not my scene really but the food is good, especially the Scottish breakfast.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are quiet, so good luck